THAMES TRADERS

Thames Trader Traffic-001.jpg

In the Managers office at Ballidon quarry there was a photo on the wall of some of the Traders they ran parked up in the quarry. I bet it isn’t there now though.

Pete.

Birch services westbound side before setting off on this years Trans Pennine Run

My first memories of lorries are of the Thames Trader, my dads first driving job was for Arthur Sandersons from Great Broughton Nth Yorkshire around 1966. He had a four wheeler and job in the morning was the milk collection from surrounding area farms, Trader had a half length double deck for carrying more churns.
Would then deliver them to either Northern Dairies or the Cooperative dairies in Middlesbrough, loved going in the canteens there as a boy always spoilt rotten by the canteen staff and the other Sanderson drivers on the milk runs.
We would then go back to yard and usually remove the extra half deck and reload with animal feed, remember Silcocks being one of the main brands.
So the afternoon would then be spent delivering to farms in the surrounding area, as a boy these were great days out for me and seeing pictures bring back great memories.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

mother trucker:
HI I DROVE A SIX WHEEL TRADER FOR SMILES FOR MILES FROM BLUCHER NEWCASTLE MANY YEARS AGO THEY WERE A GOOD OLD LORRY ,REGULAR JOB WAS 3 LOAD OF GRAVEL A DAY FROM CATTERICK TO GIBSON READYMIX GATESHEAD NO MOTORWAYS THEN HARD DAYS WORK .LOVE TO SEE A PHOTO OF ONE

Nice to hear from you, MT, I worked for Smiles for Miles myself in the 60s, Can you remember these drivers I wonder, Josh Rutter, Charlie Chisolm, Barry Petiffer, Jack Keen, Harry Blow, Jimmy Jefferies,Bob Keen,Jimmy Trotter Bob Mather,Jimmy Hannet,Dicky Peaker,Tommy Leathard, Cookie, & of course the infamous Bob Smiles who thought he was god, Shults the German, Bobby Marsh, Tim who was based at Catterick, Tot Hepple & Wilfy his brother who was a fitter also Jimmy Fell, & Bobby Cairns, & The Bull himself who had his fave drivers, Eddie Smith, Ronnie Peaker plus lots more, Regards Larry.

Wow these posts bring back some memories for me. My dad, Ken Ord used to drive these for Smiles in the 60s and I remember some of the names, Bob Mather, Tommy Leathard and Barry Petiffer. I used to get up at 3am if I was off school and go with him leading shale to the A1 Darlington bypass, gravel from Cattrick to Gateshead. I’m sure he used to drive TTY 603 If my memories serves me. Great memories

Hello Mel, Welcome to Trucknet. I am an ex HGV driver,now retired, and I discovered Trucknet
just over 2 years ago, so I have a look-in on most days. If you have any “Thames Trader” pictures
please submit them to this site, and any other lorry pictures to the various sites on Trucknet.
Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

moomooland:

That must be rare. I Know I never saw one. I am sure it must be a conversion too as I do not recall Fords ever offered one.

Dipster:

moomooland:

That must be rare. I Know I never saw one. I am sure it must be a conversion too as I do not recall Fords ever offered one.

Hiya,
Only ever saw one Chinese six Trader in chassis cab form coming out
of Primrose Third Axle works at Ewood Blackburn this would be the
mid 60s so it looks like the Chinese six was a conversion, the basic
vehicle wasn’t new but the second steer was.
thanks harry, long retired.

Chinese 6 Traders ! I recall an instance in early '68 when all and sundry descended on this part of the world with tippers of every shape and size to build the M6. Well there was two Lads from down Lancashire, not just sure where from but anyway one of them had a medium WB Trader so this particular Friday afternoon off they went home ! On Monday morning the Trader re-appeared as a Steer !!! I kid you not, they had worked through the weekend to “stick” a second steer axle into it ! I kid you not ! 14 ton GVW to 18 or 20 ton gvw probably. I’m not sure just how it performed but it can’t have been so good on site work. Cheers Dennis.

There were plenty of BMC FFK/FHK ‘chinese sixes’ around (usually tippers) so it is surprising that Trader versions were not as popular. I know the BMC 5.7 engine was reckoned to be a better puller than the 6D, maybe that’s why?

Pete.

Just spotted the Chinese Trader. It belonged to Roy Morgan rom Huntley, Glos. whose main activity was livestock haulage. I believe the six wheeler was in response to a regular customer’s demand for an extra few tons.

Thames Trader in a different guise.
Oily

Hi oily the bodywork on the Dartford Tunnel bus was by Strachans from Acton. With regard to twin steer conversions Fred Brown from Thursby, Carlisle had a Dodge 504 bulk blower with a second steer axle in his very early days and before moving to a new larger depot at Cardewlees.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Credit to original photographer, apologies if posted before.
Is that all you could get on !

AV760:

Nicely sheeted , I wonder what hes carrying it doesnt look too heavy

ramone:

AV760:

Hi Ramone, Because the Ford Thames Trader was a “Dundee” Lorry, it could have been carrying Jute, perhaps. Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

ramone:

AV760:

Hi Ramone, Because the Ford Thames Trader was a “Dundee” Lorry, it could have been carrying Jute, perhaps. Regards, Ray.

Well that looks like bales of hessian or jute on the top, must have been his first drop off on his way down frae’ Dundee :wink: . Used to see them all the time running up and down through Kendal when “I were a Lad” Cheers Bewick.