Tesla opens order book

dave docwra:

alamcculloch:
500 mile range more like 350 I’m betting.
425 maybe if its just motorways.

More likely the other way round, Motorways are not the best for putting charge back into the batteries.

The regenerative braking process is dependent on Super Capacitor provision not batteries.
Which means more unladen weight capacity.

dave docwra:

alamcculloch:

More likely the other way round, Motorways are not the best for putting charge back into the batteries.

This is where the game changer may lie. We’ve all become accustomed to the idea of reducing fuel usage by maximising the time spent with our foot off the gas, allowing the momentum of the truck to keep us rolling while not actually using any fuel. Electric trucks take that a whole stage further, with any “over-run” or even gentle braking in effect putting fuel back into the tank. No purely fossil fuelled vehicle can do that.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

The Tesla site
tesla.com/semi
It seems that the claims made are at at 80,000lbs, or about 36t, and at a speed of 60mph.
So UK`s allowed weight of 44t will bring figures down, but UK lower speeds will improve economy.

Franglais:
The Tesla site
tesla.com/semi
It seems that the claims made are at at 80,000lbs, or about 36t, and at a speed of 60mph.
So UK`s allowed weight of 44t will bring figures down, but UK lower speeds will improve economy.

They don’t seem as keen on stating the 3.6 Tonnes weight of the batteries.

We will have to wait and see how electric trucks perform in the real world. As far as regenerative braking goes ,the energy (momentum) has to be put there in the first place. Sir Issac Newton discovered the laws of motion many years ago. Basically you cant get something for nothing.

Juddian:
‘‘Tesla has begun to take deposits for the Semi electric tractor unit.’’

Interesting description that.
Hybrid?

my money would be on hybrid too.
small diesel engine to produce electricity. just think you stay in freezing condition for 6 hour in standing traffics i had it on the route from berlin to nurnberg

alamcculloch:
We will have to wait and see how electric trucks perform in the real world. As far as regenerative braking goes ,the energy (momentum) has to be put there in the first place. Sir Issac Newton discovered the laws of motion many years ago. Basically you cant get something for nothing.

Quite so.
You can`t “make” energy. But neither can you “loose” it.

(In a closed system)
If x energy is used to accelerate a vehicle from rest to a certain speed, then x energy will be regenerated in slowing that vehicle to rest again.
So long as friction brakes aren`t used there is no energy loss at all.

Clearly in the real world there are losses due to air resistance, friction from running gear, heat wasted in motors, and tyres etc.
But in electric re-gen systems the heat wasted in conventional friction or other heat generating systems (retarders etc) isn`t being “lost”. (or more accurately given to the environment). It is kept inside the vehicle system rather than being placed outside it.

Carryfast:

dave docwra:

alamcculloch:

The regenerative braking process is dependent on Super Capacitor provision not batteries.
Which means more unladen weight capacity.

Don’t worry they are working on MK2 flux capacitors.

I couldn’t see this being a viable option in my work, I drive a Scania R450 pulling a tri axle trailer on multi drop from my base in Plymouth throughout hilly Cornwall, most days fully freighted and heavy. When I get back to base late afternoon a night trunk driver is waiting to take over, and after a 10 minute refuel it’s back up the road to the Midlands to bring down our frieght for next day when I take over again.

The wheels barely stop turning, so unless this Tesla device can be fully recharged in 10 minutes or the regenerative charging is a revaluation I can see only a very limited (excuse the pun) scope, possibly with supermarket fleets.

bigstraight6:
I couldn’t see this being a viable option in my work, I drive a Scania R450 pulling a tri axle trailer on multi drop from my base in Plymouth throughout hilly Cornwall, most days fully freighted and heavy. When I get back to base late afternoon a night trunk driver is waiting to take over, and after a 10 minute refuel it’s back up the road to the Midlands to bring down our frieght for next day when I take over again.

The wheels barely stop turning, so unless this Tesla device can be fully recharged in 10 minutes or the regenerative charging is a revaluation I can see only a very limited (excuse the pun) scope, possibly with supermarket fleets.

I guess that according to the plan for rail the night trunk is toast.

They will be ■■■■■■

Elon is just making his fat bank account fatter.

I have a couple of friends that have EVs. None of those EVs achieve anything like their manufacturer’s quoted range.

Trucks will be no different.

They are fine for local deliveries.

But hauling heavy machinery over long distances without constant recharging? Only way that is happening is if they have a continuous power supply.

Like trains for example…[emoji41][emoji108][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

alamcculloch:

Quite so.
You can`t “make” energy. But neither can you “loose” it.

(In a closed system)
If x energy is used to accelerate a vehicle from rest to a certain speed, then x energy will be regenerated in slowing that vehicle to rest again.
So long as friction brakes aren`t used there is no energy loss at all.

Clearly in the real world there are losses due to air resistance, friction from running gear, heat wasted in motors, and tyres etc.
But in electric re-gen systems the heat wasted in conventional friction or other heat generating systems (retarders etc) isn`t being “lost”. (or more accurately given to the environment). It is kept inside the vehicle system rather than being placed outside it.

If the regen is so good, why the poor range? Why do they need so much recharging?

Answer.

We haven’t got the tech to do it and you can’t defeat the laws of physics.

Plus constant running on a motorway is where EVs are at their least efficient. But it is what trucks do a lot of.

The equation is still balanced very much against electric trucks.

Truckulent:

If the regen is so good, why the poor range? Why do they need so much recharging?

Answer.
Plus constant running on a motorway is where EVs are at their least efficient. But it is what trucks do a lot of.
[/quote]
The answer is not what we know today, it is more a question of what is to come in the future.

Remember Tesla have a super charger system in place that can charge at over 900 mph, who would have thought that possible a short time ago.

dave docwra:

Truckulent:

Answer.

The answer is not what we know today, it is more a question of what is to come in the future.

Remember Tesla have a super charger system in place that can charge at over 900 mph, who would have thought that possible a short time ago.
[/quote]
This answer makes no sense.

A bit like electric trucks!

dave docwra:

Truckulent:

Answer.

[/quote]
We can see the future.
Punitive pricing being applied to fossil fuel at home so it can be exported.
While imposing a captive market for electric at home at 50p per kWh + road fuel duty and 20% VAT bearing in mind a litre of diesel contains 12 kWh.Be careful what you wish for.