Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month

Franglais:
Charging units inside the warehouse with a retracting cable on the outside.
Foolproof. But not driver proof probably. [emoji3]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

With electricians and spare cables on standby. Still, the security cabbage should be able to spot the stretched cable before he lets the truck out the gate… :grimacing:

Franglais:

lancpudn:
Maybe Musk is going to use a solar/battery farm scenario for his Megacharging system similar to what he did on the island of Kauri theverge.com/2017/3/8/14854 … -generator or like the ones in Australia/ Puerto Rico. :question:

Maybe, if and when the Tesla truck gets to Europe, Tesla will build solar farms in Spain and the south, and wind or wave farms in the north? Serious investments will be required of course. Even someone as rich as Musk needs to bring investors with him.

Yeah If & when is the question,although a centre seat driving position eliminates the left/right hand models for different countries…unlike the right hand drive Tesla model 3 reservations which wont see Blighty until sometime 2019. :astonished:

Yes I should imagine solar farms like the 40 megawatt Topaz farm in California where they have an abundance of sunshine will have to be on the cards.
If his Tesla car supercharger European network is anything to go by it wont take him long to install those Megachargers. electrek.co/2016/12/17/tesla-20 … nsion-map/

muckles:
A few of the exciting and innovative features of the Tesla truck. :confused:

On the Semi, Tesla’s Autopilot offers automated emergency braking, lane keeping and lane departure warnings to help encourage safe highway driving.

and the ability to stand fully when inside the cab.

There’s a removable jump seat for a passenger, too, offset and behind the main driver position.

offer navigation information, blind spot monitoring, and trip data logging applications. There’s also a suite of fleet management tools

Either US trucks are way behind or Tesla haven’t really looked at other trucks or the journalist reporting this have never had anything to do with modern trucks.

Gotta be true on both those counts.
Tesla have copied the single steer axle, double drive, as per US norms, maybe that`s to do with regulation as much as anything?

lancpudn:
Maybe Musk is going to use a solar/battery farm scenario for his Megacharging system similar to what he did on the island of Kauri theverge.com/2017/3/8/14854 … -generator or like the ones in Australia/ Puerto Rico. :question:

I don’t think you comprehend the amount of land it will take to power large fleets of trucks using only solar power, let alone all the other power requirements we have. This is probably ok in remote sunny places of the US or Australia, but in less sunny and densely populated Northern Europe?

muckles:

lancpudn:

I don’t think you comprehend the amount of land it will take to power large fleets of trucks using only solar power, let alone all the other power requirements we have. This is probably ok in remote sunny places of the US or Australia, but in less sunny and densely populated Northern Europe?

As land is a scarce commodity in Europe It need not be on land!!! floatingsolarpanels.co.uk/

Andrejs:
Eastern Europian company running logisticsmanager.com/lithua … sla-truck/

I read Walmart have plans to buy a fleet of Tesla trucks. finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart- … 29107.html If all the other big outlets follow suit I should imagine engine manufacturers like ■■■■■■■ & CAT over there will be worried. :open_mouth:

Dork Lard:

switchlogic:
To be fair probably cheaper than installing diesel tanks and pumps. And they charge at such a rate you really don’t need one charger per truck

Do the maths. Google how much for a bunded tank, a few pumps & then guesstimate the cost of the civils work of connecting them up.

Then do the maths of a fleet of these trucks needing charging. How many kVA’s are required? Then consider how many transport yards have ready access to that kind of feed, then guesstimate the cost of the civils involved in supplying that feed into the yard & distributing it to points where the trucks can park.

Actually a lot of yards will already have high power lines into yard, especially if they run fridges. And as I said you don’t need one charger per truck any more than you need one diesel pump per truck. Also I imagine the government will probably come up with a scheme to subsidize the whole shebang to start with at least

lancpudn:

muckles:

lancpudn:

As land is a scarce commodity in Europe It need not be on land!!! floatingsolarpanels.co.uk/

But that is on a lake or reservoir, to make it viable, for the share scale required for our energy needs, it has to be offshore and most of the seas round Europe are not known for their reservoir calm.
I know they’re working on various offshore solar farm ideas but I don’t there is anything properly offshore that is in construction.
I’m not against renewable energy, but the Worlds energy needs are so vast that the renewables we see today can only be a stop gap and really can’t be considered a solution to providing 100% of the Worlds energy.

Franglais:
What? Why would there be a demand for regenerative braking in a conventional internal combustion engined truck? If you can design brakes that can refill the tank with diesel then there would be MASSIVE demand.
I’d buy shares in the company with that patent.

You do understand the difference between mechanical type KERS v electrical.Or obviously not.So as I said why no demand for existing mechanical KERS type technology that’s compatible with ICE powered vehicles ?.

As I said a load of gullible people rushing like turkeys voting for Christmas based on comparing the apples of untaxed electricity costs and possibly energy recovery advantages.Which electric needs to even get close to the costs of the oranges of the taxed fuel used by ICE powered vehicles.Also customers obviously having over looked the fact that KERS can be similarly applied to ICE powered vehicles.Or probably more like the costs of the technology outweigh the real world fuel consumption benefits it provides in it certainly not more than halving the fuel consumption ?.

Which then leaves the weight penalty and cost of the battery technology not to mention being tied to the vehicle supplier for fuelling requirements and obvious eventual implications of that captive market regarding costs.On that note 2 kwh per mile still sounds like a joke to me with or without KERS.Then you can obviously add road fuel tax and the costs of the batteries to the 15p per kwh at present prices,even if that 2 kwh per mile figure was achievable in the real world.

lancpudn:

Andrejs:
Eastern Europian company running logisticsmanager.com/lithua … sla-truck/

I read Walmart have plans to buy a fleet of Tesla trucks. finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart- … 29107.html If all the other big outlets follow suit I should imagine engine manufacturers like ■■■■■■■ & CAT over there will be worried. :open_mouth:

Walmart pan to have 15 of them in their fleet of over 6500 trucks, I should imagine they’ll have them for a period of evaluation to see if the product matches the hype.
Girteka with a fleet of 4000 trucks seem to have ordered 1, not sure if Tesla are building a truck to EU C&U regs so it;s use will be limited again they’ll be using them for evaluation and to publicise their green credentials.

so if all the other big players follow suit with similar numbers I’m sure Tesla will be happy, but I doubt it will worry ■■■■■■■ or CAT in the short term.

Apart from the few I have never read so much negativity about an exciting innovation.
Do you not think they are aware of all the downside points you have all brought up on here. Do you not think they have discussed this around the table.
Transportation is going in this direction and someone needs to make the first move as Tesla have done.
Some of you are demonstrating the normal truck driver reaction to change.
FFS stop acting like Dinosaurs…this is the future guys whether you like it or not so embrace it.

Carryfast:

Franglais:
What? Why would there be a demand for regenerative braking in a conventional internal combustion engined truck? If you can design brakes that can refill the tank with diesel then there would be MASSIVE demand.
I’d buy shares in the company with that patent.

You do understand the difference between mechanical type KERS v electrical.Or obviously not.So as I said why no demand for existing mechanical KERS type technology that’s compatible with ICE powered vehicles ?.

As I said a load of gullible people rushing like turkeys voting for Christmas based on comparing the apples of untaxed electricity costs and possibly energy recovery advantages.Which electric needs to even get close to the costs of the oranges of the taxed fuel used by ICE powered vehicles.Also customers obviously having over looked the fact that KERS can be similarly applied to ICE powered vehicles.Or probably more like the costs of the technology outweigh the real world fuel consumption benefits it provides in it certainly not more than halving the fuel consumption ?.

Which then leaves the weight penalty and cost of the battery technology not to mention being tied to the vehicle supplier for fuelling requirements and obvious eventual implications of that captive market regarding costs.On that note 2 kwh per mile still sounds like a joke to me with or without KERS.Then you can obviously add road fuel tax and the costs of the batteries to the 15p per kwh at present prices,even if that 2 kwh per mile figure was achievable in the real world.

KERS to be applicable to truck sized vehicles is pretty much a non starter. As you correctly say there is no demand for it because of its size weight considerations. To Battery energy (electric) storage would seem the way to go. As you say there are serious problems with battery weights and costs. Totally agree with you there. But if a vehicle already has a battery system why wouldnt you use regen?
If the vehicle supplier guarantees a price for energy costs, and you can make a profit using that price, whats not to like? If Tesla promise a price for electricity a company can make a plan. Who is guaranteeing the price of diesel for tomorrow? Let alone longer... Tax on electricity? Well no one knows whats in the next budget. (even Hammond?!) Could be zero tax on diesel and 1,000% tax on electricity? You can`t really make sweeping statements inferring some unknown tax at some unknown future point and retain credibility can you? We are where we are, and can only make guesses about the future. Especially concerning taxes!

Franglais:

muckles:

lancpudn:
Those “Megachargers” Tesla are installing in the USA will be run on Solar power, Elon Musk states they will not draw from the electricity grid and Tesla owners will pay the cheapest rates for recharging.
The drivetrain (4 electric motors) on that Tesla Semi are warranted for 1 million miles guaranteed.

How large a solar power array are you going to need to power charge one truck?
Are you going to charge straight form the solar power or will the charger store the electricity when not in use?
How many are you going to need for a fleet when they all come in and want charging?
How well does that system work during a long dark winter further North than California?

Has Elon Musk bitten off a little too much this time?
There are a lot of questions still need answering on this project. His cars are doing really well in the market place, although the factory cant keep up with demand. If we view this truck the same way as those models of cars that always pop up at the Geneva show, maybe as an aspiration rather than the first production model, itll make more sense? Ive little doubt this is the direction were headed, although it may be a bigger step than is really realistic at the moment?
I really think a hybrid would find a better market with the current state of battery technology. I admire Musks ambition, but is the technology there yet to support his project? Does he have something in the pipeline hes keeping secret?

Yep I think the lack of details, such as price of the vehicle, payload, how the running costs were priced up and then the launch of the sportscar (which did have more details) conveniently diverted attention from the truck might mean this was far more about showmanship than actual substance.

And as Switchlogic commented on his facebook page Commercial Motor were refused entry to the launch, despite offering to pay all costs involved and none of the google searches I’ve done seem to include anything from an American trucking magazine.

There are other, more mainstream, truck companies working on electric trucks, but they’re making, what seems, far more realistic claims than Tesla, so maybe it was an attempt to get in there first and say we can make something better than the mainstream truck companies.

YARDDOG:
Apart from the few I have never read so much negativity about an exciting innovation.
Do you not think they are aware of all the downside points you have all brought up on here. Do you not think they have discussed this around the table.

I’m sure they are, which is why they conveniently forgot to mention a price or weight for the vehicle, then launch a Supercar, where they did mention a price and battery capacity. Smoke and mirrors springs to mind.

YARDDOG:
Transportation is going in this direction and someone needs to make the first move as Tesla have done.

They’re not the first, other companies are selling and continuing to develop Electirc trucks of various sizes.

YARDDOG:
FFS stop acting like Dinosaurs…this is the future guys whether you like it or not so embrace it.

Might be the future or might be a blind ally and something else will come along, but yes the truck as we know it days do seem limited.

YARDDOG:

No surprise the EV fan boys would try to play the dinosaur card.When the fact is the EV v ICE argument goes back to the very start of the introduction of the horseless carriage.With ICE rightly winning out.

In which case like then just give us the freedom of choice.In which case there’s no more reason to think that EV’s will be any more viable now v ICE than they were then. :unamused:

While in this case it’s clear that the agenda is all about removal of that freedom of choice,to create a captive market,for an inferior more expensive technology,among a load of gullible buyers.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

KERS to be applicable to truck sized vehicles is pretty much a non starter. As you correctly say there is no demand for it because of its size weight considerations. To Battery energy (electric) storage would seem the way to go. As you say there are serious problems with battery weights and costs. Totally agree with you there. But if a vehicle already has a battery system why wouldnt you use regen?
If the vehicle supplier guarantees a price for energy costs, and you can make a profit using that price, whats not to like? If Tesla promise a price for electricity a company can make a plan. Who is guaranteeing the price of diesel for tomorrow? Let alone longer... Tax on electricity? Well no one knows whats in the next budget. (even Hammond?!) Could be zero tax on diesel and 1,000% tax on electricity? You can`t really make sweeping statements inferring some unknown tax at some unknown future point and retain credibility can you? We are where we are, and can only make guesses about the future. Especially concerning taxes!

Let’s get this right you’re moaning about the relatively small size and weight penalty of adding a mechanical KERS system to the drive line of conventional vehicles.But suddenly a bleedin great big mega expense battery pack etc is ok in the case of EV’s. :unamused:

As for the fuel tax issue it’s obvious that they aren’t going to forego road fuel duty in the case of EV charging.Which is why no one is talking about the ability to fast charge or even charge an EV using a home charging system although smart metering is another obvious part of that agenda.With the added issue in this case of the charging network being dependent on the EV supplier and therefore a monopoly situation.What could possibly go wrong. :unamused:

As it stands there’s probably no way that anyone is going to run a truck on the basis of 2 kwh per mile nor at the present 15p per kwh price of electricity to charge it.

While we do know that 9 mpg equates to around 5 kwh per mile at a cost of around 10p per kwh including relevant fuel taxes and without the addition of KERS.Which would obviously improve on those figures.On that note anyone jumping headlong into the expensive EV blind alley needs to at least do the maths first.

I have seen the concept motor home version, the sides and roof were covered in photovoltaic cells. they aren’t cheap enough at a reliable rate to be employed in our sector at the moment imo.

Cant see the centre line steering position being wildly popular, especially in reverse, still it is designed for no driver

Her’s the launch, if anyone is interested:

ttnews.com/articles/tesla-el … semi-truck

No one seems to know what the payload is.

And Tesla’s expensive, over-fussy engineering is the last thing most truck operators want: remember how nervous they were of Euro 6?

lancpudn:
Those “Megachargers” Tesla are installing in the USA will be run on Solar power, Elon Musk states they will not draw from the electricity grid and Tesla owners will pay the cheapest rates for recharging.
The drivetrain (4 electric motors) on that Tesla Semi are warranted for 1 million miles guaranteed.

Refuel at night■■?