Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month

There’s a piece on operating costs of a USA truck in this piece regards autonomous trucks, I wonder how the cost compares to a UK trucks operating costs! insideevs.com/everything-tesla- … ographics/

lancpudn:
I would have thought Wi-Fi induction charging would have been better than the unsightly overhead “trolley bus” infrastructure, It’s already available. Renault recently charged a car on a test road doing 60 mph.

Hell no. The losses in inductive wireless power transmission are absolutely huge.

Conor:
Hell no. The losses in inductive wireless power transmission are absolutely huge.

The ‘losses’/costs of any type of electric energy conversion are ‘huge’.Which is why we use gas boilers for domestic heating rather than in large part gas generated electric and container ships use diesel engines directly connected to the prop rather than diesel electric.

Looks like the reveal is going ahead this Thursday 16th at 8pm PST.

I cant wait to see it. According to Elon Musk it will blow your mind clean out of your skull. :open_mouth:

lancpudn:
Looks like the reveal is going ahead this Thursday 16th at 8pm PST.

I cant wait to see it. According to Elon Musk it will blow your mind clean out of your skull. :open_mouth:

That’s actually the safety warning to disconnect the battery before attempting to do any work on it. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

electric is bad for the ice caps, whats wrong with good old pedal power? DHL knows the score

scania are even more advanced

Franglais:
Already touched on here, but with electric vehicles the energy used in braking can be put back into the batteries.
The energy used to get a vehicle up a bank can be replaced by the energy used to slow it down on the other side. In the real world it’ll never be equal, but will make a big difference in overall efficiency. Just consider all that heat thrown out (wasted) by an engine climbing a hill and all that heat thrown out by brakes and retarder (wasted) on the descent. I’ll have a bet that what takes to the road first will be a hybrid, large batteries, regenerative braking, and an I.C. engine to give a boost to the batteries when needed. And with predictions about the route chosen maybe use the engine to top up the battery before a hill upwards, or allow the battery to get low if a descent is approaching.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Spot on. Diesel electric trucks. Of course we’ve had diesel electric locomotives for er about 70 years!

chrisdalott:
scania are even more advanced

Is that one of those Dyson V8 motors?

Confused.com here! Just seen a CGI vid release by teslamotors on instagram of the truck prior to it’s debut tonight 8pm PST.

This is supposed to be an accurate CGI of the actual truck. where is the space between cab & trailer? how are you going to turn it?
I notice the trailer swings around as it turns, is it just rear wheel steering?

I like the camera mirrors though. :sunglasses: instagram.com/p/BbhvtwvlfUD … eslamotors click on the truck link.

lancpudn:
There’s a piece on operating costs of a USA truck in this piece regards autonomous trucks, I wonder how the cost compares to a UK trucks operating costs! insideevs.com/everything-tesla- … ographics/

Interesting; they say that, in a nutshell, the operating costs of an American truck are:

39% fuel
26% driver
17% depreciation
13% tyres and maintenance
4% insurance
2% permits, licences and tolls

That adds up to 101% but probably rounding errors.

I would say that a UK operator’s costs would not be hugely different. Drivers might cost more with all the costs of holiday pay and NI added on, but it does demonstrate why self-driving electric trucks are so appealing to operators.

Blimey! it can get to 60mph as fast as my owd Rover weighing in at 80k lb’s /36 tonne fully laden . tesla.com/semi/

theguardian.com/technology/ … r-surprise

Promises much…but delivery of that performance is entirely dependent upon the construction of his charger network, and where is mention of the payload?

standard.co.uk/news/world/e … 93521.html

Write up in the standard about it. 500 Miles they say, no mention on how long it will take to charge or were you will be able to charge it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knightk386:
Elon Musk unveils Tesla's new electric truck of the future which can travel 500 miles on one charge | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

Write up in the standard about it. 500 Miles they say, no mention on how long it will take to charge or were you will be able to charge it

BBC report claims of 400miles on a 30 minutes charge. After driving four hundred miles we’re all looking forward to a cuppa aren’t we? If that’s a realistic claim, and Tesla have a queue for their cars, do many trust them, wouldn’t national size companies provide their own charger points? At first, at least.
Will it hit the roads on time in big numbers? Who knows?
Really interesting though.

Edit. In his presentation Elon Musk talks of a million miles breakdown guarantee. And claims it will be cheaper over a lifetime than diesel trucks. Remember that’s on USA diesel prices! That’s some big claims, and Musk is no one’s fool. Will it all work out? As I said, very interesting times.
Edit, 2, as gas gas points out no mention I’ve seen yet of payload. Anyone see it anywhere? Probably there somewhere.

Tesla unveils first electric truckhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42021713

Franglais:

Knightk386:
Elon Musk unveils Tesla's new electric truck of the future which can travel 500 miles on one charge | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard

BBC report claims of 400miles on a 30 minutes charge. After driving four hundred miles we’re all looking forward to a cuppa aren’t we? If that’s a realistic claim, and Tesla have a queue for their cars, do many trust them, wouldn’t national size companies provide their own charger points? At first, at least.

I can see the headlines after the first accident involving an “electric juggernaut” .
Unsuspecting pedestrian minding his own business crossing the road using his phone, Dead!! Killed by a silent Monster Juggernaut sneaking up on him. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Franglais:

Knightk386:

I can see the headlines after the first accident involving an “electric juggernaut” .
Unsuspecting pedestrian minding his own business crossing the road using his phone, Dead!! Killed by a silent Monster Juggernaut sneaking up on him. :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Never had the issue of someone not knowing I was there with the valve open on a V8 :grimacing:

Fossil fuels 1, hippie leccy nonesense 0.

A.

The cost of these will be astronomical,also taking into account the cost for the charging stations too…will take years of running until you start seeing a return.

xichrisxi:
The cost of these will be astronomical,also taking into account the cost for the charging stations too…will take years of running until you start seeing a return.

Cost of elec vs cost of diesel?
Over a million miles?