Tesla electric lorry to be revealed next month

Franglais:

Dipper_Dave:
I can see a lot of you are still hung up on batteries that need charging up from an external device.

With the leaps and bounds being made in battery technology within the next 5 years self charging batteries will appear common place, using a combination of light sensitivity and static electricity to charge a battery will make the need for stand alone chargers redundant.

Can you guess a good generator of static electricity, yep the vehicle itself.
Sure we’ve all had that leccy shock when exciting a vehicle or remember those antistatic strips hung from the back of cars.

Well boys and girls there will come a time when batteries will charge themselves up.

In fact in 10 years time the technology on this Tesla truck will look positively prehistoric.

Just guessin…

Im glad to see youre still giving this problem the benefit of your thoughts Dipper.
Wasnt it you who came up with the concept of fitting windmill generators to the exterior of trucks to generate electricity as they move through the air? Having a roof mounted generator was genius, but getting Stobbies to road test it, may have been an error? Can you view this link please mate? They seem to have a good ecological idea here, but we need someone with your vision to adapt it for road use. [damninteresting.com/retired ... -aircraft/](https://www.damninteresting.com/retired/the-gravity-powered-aircraft/) Reckon you can do anything with that? Wouldnt having helium tanks on trucks counteract against the weight of the batteries they`re carrying somehow?

Interesting stuff, I’m quite a fan of the up and down method myself.
Adapting it for road use is a little trickier but I’ll give it a minute’s thought…

Ok so for aircraft it’s up and down using gravity and helium coupled with a fan for forward momentum. So for road use let’s look at forward and backward instead of up and down.

How about a system whereby the electric motors have a brake that causes a resistance to the forward motion which in turn feeds power back to the battery. Bit like a KERS systems but always on so energy recovery is always taking place.

Bit tricky to find the balance between power reclamation and power loss with the extra resistance but no doubt battery technology will catch up to make this more viable.

Still gutted my wind turbine on the roof idea never took off though.

Dipper_Dave:

Small problem of drag :laughing:

Dipper_Dave:
With the leaps and bounds being made in battery technology within the next 5 years self charging batteries will appear common place, using a combination of light sensitivity and static electricity to charge a battery will make the need for stand alone chargers redundant.

Sure we’ve all had that leccy shock when exciting a vehicle or remember those antistatic strips hung from the back of cars.

Well boys and girls there will come a time when batteries will charge themselves up.

How about a system whereby the electric motors have a brake that causes a resistance to the forward motion which in turn feeds power back to the battery. Bit like a KERS systems but always on so energy recovery is always taking place.

Bit tricky to find the balance between power reclamation and power loss with the extra resistance but no doubt battery technology will catch up to make this more viable.

The static electricity idea sounds promising.Especially in tropical areas of the world like Florida where it could take full advantage of all the thunderstorms.So a lightning conductor wired directly to the batteries and might as well also go large on the roof mounted fan generator to make best use of air resistance effects and the permanently engaged regenerative braking all combined.What could possibly go wrong.I’m in where do I send my investment for this technological leap forward. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

If you believe this ■■■■■■■■ then you really do deserve my sympathy!

Dipper_Dave:

Franglais:

Dipper_Dave:
I can see a lot of you are still hung up on batteries that need charging up from an external device.

In fact in 10 years time the technology on this Tesla truck will look positively prehistoric.

Just guessin…

Im glad to see youre still giving this problem the benefit of your thoughts Dipper.
Wasnt it you who came up with the concept of fitting windmill generators to the exterior of trucks to generate electricity as they move through the air? Having a roof mounted generator was genius, but getting Stobbies to road test it, may have been an error? Can you view this link please mate? They seem to have a good ecological idea here, but we need someone with your vision to adapt it for road use. [damninteresting.com/retired ... -aircraft/](https://www.damninteresting.com/retired/the-gravity-powered-aircraft/) Reckon you can do anything with that? Wouldnt having helium tanks on trucks counteract against the weight of the batteries they`re carrying somehow?

Interesting stuff, I’m quite a fan of the up and down method myself.
Adapting it for road use is a little trickier but I’ll give it a minute’s thought…

Already done/in place on some EV cars.

Gentlemen it will happen & it is coming.

Not overnight of course but any issues can & will be overcome by the big outfits who’s purpose is to move their goods between their RDC’s & points of sale (as I said before the likes of Tesco)
Charging them is also a non issue for them as they will install what is needed on the loading/parking areas.
As you know the big outfits look at the total running costs via lease over a 5 year period (?) and I have no doubt that the Tesla will (on paper) be a good deal cheaper.
Banning diesel trucks into city’s is in the near future so smaller EV lorrys will become common place.

We are not talking about mobile phones here.We are taking about moving 44,000 kg
It takes about 600,000 amps to move just a train motive unit,not the train,from rest to about 3kph
The motors are running at zero resistance till it builds a reverse EMF.
Do you understand how much current a zero resistance motor can draw?
And this is going to be drawn from a glorified duracell battery?
FFS wake up.

Dodgy Permit:

Not overnight of course but any issues can & will be overcome by the big outfits who’s purpose is to move their goods between their RDC’s & points of sale (as I said before the likes of Tesco)
Charging them is also a non issue for them as they will install what is needed on the loading/parking areas.
As you know the big outfits look at the total running costs via lease over a 5 year period (?) and I have no doubt that the Tesla will (on paper) be a good deal cheaper.
Banning diesel trucks into city’s is in the near future so smaller EV lorrys will become common place.

Yes like “gas” trucks run by numpties at tesco waitrose sainsburies etc.
The way to the future my ■■■.

Dodgy Permit:

So not exactly the same thing as a credible product regards a haulage fleet where survival depends on wafer thin margins and knowing the exact costs v abilities of the thing ?.

IE small details like payload,vehicle lease/purchase costs obviously including battery purchase/maintenance/replacement costs,and real world fuel consumption and fuel costs including equivalent fuel taxes.Bearing in mind the price per kwh of diesel including fuel taxes and a known average energy demand of around 9 mpg of diesel v the around 15 p per kwh price of electicity not including road fuel taxes.

Dodgy Permit:

Yes once one of the big outfits here buys them the others will not want to be left out. Ryder has put down deposits for a large number of them and Loblaws has placed deposits for 25. Very low maintenance, Musk reckons the brakes will never need replacing because of it’s regen system :open_mouth: and they have capped their megachargers rates in the states to 7 cents/kwh.

I noticed those wind deflector panels between tractor & trailer slide in when it’s turning.

I wish Elon Musk had never been invented :neutral_face: .

lancpudn:

Dodgy Permit:

Yes once one of the big outfits here buys them the others will not want to be left out. Ryder has put down deposits for a large number of them and Loblaws has placed deposits for 25. Very low maintenance, Musk reckons the brakes will never need replacing because of it’s regen system :open_mouth: and they have capped their megachargers rates in the states to 7 cents/kwh.

I noticed those wind deflector panels between tractor & trailer slide in when it’s turning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n9xafjynJA

You really swallow the hype don’t you?
Ryder have put a deposit down on the Tesla, but are not saying for how many, so it could be as few as 2. The deposit is $5000, I could put an order in for that price, the companies that have put in orders have been very small compared to what they would normally order, they’ve done it for evaluation and publicity reasons and Ryder will be no different.

The launch of this truck at this time, without any firm information about delivery timescales, payload or even purchase or lease costs, seems to have more to do with getting publicity away from Tesla current manufacturing and industrial relation problems and helping its share price than a realistic launch of an Electric truck.

Tesla aren’t the only player in this field, they not even the largest manufacturer of electric cars, although you’d think they were the only ones with all the hype that surrounds them, if you get away from the Tesla hype you will see how many manufactures including ■■■■■■■■ Mercedes and VW group and probably others, are close to production with large electric commercial vehicles, although not with the claims of Tesla.

here’s one ryder tried in the 80’s , didn’t take off .

paymaster truck 1980's.jpg

tonyj105:
here’s one ryder tried in the 80’s , didn’t take off .

I think viable electric trucks are going to be here in a very short time, but from the existing manufactures not from the like of Tesla, these manufactures aren’t making the claims Tesla have for their truck, but reading the tech stuff on the internet, with present technology for the claims made for the Tesla you need 8.5t of batteries at a cost of $400,000 and that’s before you put in the cost of and weight of the truck. However Tesla might have made some amazing leap of technology, but it seems unlikely considering how much they like publicity.

They also made claims their truck is revolutionary semi autonomous, because it has Lane Change Support, ACC and Emergency Braking and will be ready for platooning, the journalists lapped this up without doing their research.

Muckles’ post is spot-on.

Musk is giving the impression that his company invented much of the non-driveline technology on the vehicle: technology that is standard on European heavy trucks already.

And anyone can make an electric heavy truck: the trick is to make an electric truck with an economic payload. That’s the hard/expensive bit.

The majority of the media information is to do with the vehicles, not the infrastructure or viable method to charge them. I think once practical methods of charging that are believable in everyday situations are being showcased along with the energy companies showing support then people will start to see how this will dovetail into normal life

All we hear is electric vehicles rammed down our throats. West coast USA hipster living Musk etc leave us to join up the dots as to how this would practically work for us using our imagination. There’s too much of a gulf. I’m not a beardy city dwelling hipster so I don’t want to go around searching for plugs hanging from walls of trendy parking spots. I need to know I can find some way to charge the thing in the middle of ireland on wet and windy night. And not have to sit for 10 hours whilst it does it.

muckles:

lancpudn:

Dodgy Permit:

Ryder have put a deposit down on the Tesla, but are not saying for how many, so it could be as few as 2. The deposit is $5000, I could put an order in for that price, the companies that have put in orders have been very small compared to what they would normally order, they’ve done it for evaluation and publicity reasons and Ryder will be no different.

You really are a miserable get aren’t you? I’m neither a zealot as you put it or swallow anyone’s hype. I’m my own man, If you want to be a debby downer on all things Tesla that fine I’ve no problem with that, What I have a problem with is you making wrongful assumptions of me.
I LIKE EV technology,“PERIOD” I don’t give a racoon’s ringpiece what Mr Musk promises potential buyers of his Tesla semi truck.

lancpudn:

muckles:

lancpudn:

Dodgy Permit:

You really are a miserable get aren’t you? I’m neither a zealot as you put it or swallow anyone’s hype. I’m my own man, If you want to be a debby downer on all things Tesla that fine I’ve no problem with that, What I have a problem with is you making wrongful assumptions of me.
I LIKE EV technology,“PERIOD” I don’t give a racoon’s ringpiece what Mr Musk promises potential buyers of his Tesla semi truck.

I’m not miserable, don’t even really dislike Tesla, but I’m cynical about a commercial vehicle launched without a purchase price or weight or delivery date or representatives of the commercial vehicle press at the launch.

And if somebody keeps posting the information from the launch without questioning, what am I supposed to think?
It is true that various companies have put in orders for this truck, but it is a few large companies that have put in very small orders for, what for them, is actually not a great deal of money.

Just because you’re a fan of EV’s it doesn’t mean you don’t have to believe all the claims of the manufactures without question, not sure if I’d call myself a fan of EV’s, but I’m interested by the technological developments in the automotive industry and looking round I think the commercial vehicle manufacturers offerings are far more realistic, it’s quite obvious that most are looking at the Urban, local delivery market for the first vehicles, but this is actually a very big market and many HGV journeys in Europe are quite short.
No doubt as with other electric vehicles range will go up, the weight and price will come down and the charging infrastructure will increase.

Although having worked with hybrid racing cars and seen the safety procedures when working around the electrical systems, I’d like to know more about safety features.