tesco sucks!

Not long finished my first ever shift for Tesco (Lichfield) - Hour chat/walk through with a decent bloke, started at 1700, on the road for 1830 - Wath on Derne and back, then on break, then sat round for 30 mins, about 6 of us waiting, all told to go fill trucks up and sod off :slight_smile: - seemed quite organised (but not busy, so who knows)

Biggest surprise for me was to find that the trucks will do 90kph, quite happily :slight_smile:

I do Tesco doncaster occasionally (if my arm is twisted up my back by the agy), however since they imposed a new pay structure onto the agencies, is become less desireable to go there. Once fuel etc for the car is factored into wages

They changed the garanteed 8hrs to garanteed 6hrs. (if your lucky you`ll do 7hrs+ max run)
They changed the night rate window from 5pm - 5am, to 10pm - 4am.
they expect that because your booked to them, if you work over 6hrs, you have to stay on site or work 8.75hrs.

If I find myself in a position of doing a shift there, and figure out things are going to be slack nd Ill be sat around, Ill try to get done & off site by 6hrs. As the extra 2hrs pay ain`t worth the hassle

the really hard part of the job is that tesco have taken away the free coffee vend. we now have to pay for it, next time you are looking for a pay rise (LOL) ask for a substantial coffee allowance

Andy smg:
Iā€™ve been on the trolleys for 2 years now. I hated it after 6 months but circumstances dictated I stuck with it.
Couldnā€™t think of a better place to be stuck when the hard times arrived. When things pick up though Iā€™ll move on.
Iā€™ve sampled the boredom Scanny, but given the current climate regarding job shortages, youā€™re one of the lucky ones.
Put your feet up mate, and take the money.

Yoooo gottit! :laughing: :laughing:

Trukkertone:
the really hard part of the job is that tesco have taken away the free coffee vend. we now have to pay for it, next time you are looking for a pay rise (LOL) ask for a substantial coffee allowance

its free in livingston

joemaxi:
I enjoy being a trolley pusher!

No stress,no tight deadlines and plenty of overtime if you want it!

And a discount card to help the wife feed me!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Why donā€™t you use a knife and fork like most normal people? :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What is it with Tesco drivers driving really slowly on the motorway.

Even with a vehicle now limited to 52mph i am flying past most of them, the speeds are getting silly.

Saw one on the A92 the other day, i got stuck behind him because of the amount of cars, his speed was about 35mph on a high standard dual carriageway.

mickyblue:
you on the tippers scanny?

no mate. i only do curtainsiders or reefers.

last night was a bit better. 58 plate CF with the cruise control sitting at 55 down to newcastle. most of them cruise at 52. there was a query when i got back though. apparently the GPS said i was parked up in newcastle from 0253 to 0400. i knocked off at 0700 so even though i had one of their fast trucks i cant see me managing that one :unamused:

i got a ticking off on tuesday night. i had a mixed load of fresh, chilled and frozen for 2 shops half an hour apart. i got to the first one and tipped 7 cages off the tail lift. then we realised that the other 4 cages were at against the bulkhead which was 34 cages away from the back door. with 2 options available, tip and reload that lot or go to the other shop and come back, i opted for the second option and brought the 4 cages back. apparently i should have phoned in for authorisation to return to the first shop :unamused:
they pay me to deliver, i delivered! whats the problem? :imp:

DieselDemon:

joemaxi:
I enjoy being a trolley pusher!

No stress,no tight deadlines and plenty of overtime if you want it!

And a discount card to help the wife feed me!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Why donā€™t you use a knife and fork like most normal people? :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice to see some of our ā€œolderā€ members still paying attention!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Kenny1975:
What is it with Tesco drivers driving really slowly on the motorway.

Even with a vehicle now limited to 52mph i am flying past most of them, the speeds are getting silly.

Saw one on the A92 the other day, i got stuck behind him because of the amount of cars, his speed was about 35mph on a high standard dual carriageway.

Itā€™s because theyā€™ve got brain fade with the boredom of it all.Itā€™s all a long way from when British wagons with British drivers were running all over Europe and Asia.

TBF to Tossco, I`ve been working out of Fradley + Hinkley during the last 10 days, and, they both have kept me moving, NO waiting around [unless a break was due].

I have not worked out of Hinkley before, and was expecting a bit of a ā€œculture changeā€, compared to Fradley, but, to my surprise, everyone was helpful and friendly.

The solution to scanny77`s little problem, get the shop manager to ring up the depot, and bollock the traffic desk, get the name of the receipient, and, put it on your run sheet, stops the return bollocking in its tracks. I had a similar problem on wednesday, the shop manager went ballistic at Hinkley for loading it wrong [regular occurance], between him and me, we arranged for me to go back, and he TOLD the depot what was going to happen :open_mouth:

The other ā€œproblemā€ I`ve noticed during this period working for Tossco, is, they are not that busy, I have seen so many ā€œsilversā€ in outside storage, there must be 500.000 between Fradley / Hinkley / Goole :open_mouth:

Greenshoots my arse Mr Brown :frowning:

They start collecting and storing cages for run up to christmas.

Fair comment,

But, Ive been doing Tossco for nearly two years, and, Im sure it wasnt like this last year [cant remember the first year, too excited :laughing: ] there are so many just sitting outside, its a sight to behold.

Also, just listening to their drivers [RSU / ND Hinkley waiting room], they are saying its very quiet, and, that this christmas is going to be interesting.

And, it was around this time last year, that we are racing round collecting ā€œsilversā€ from other RDCs, because Fradley was short ā– ā– ?

I can remember going into ND @ Donny via a shop near by, to collect ā€œsilversā€, late september, early october I`m sure.

scanny77:

mickyblue:
you on the tippers scanny?

no mate. i only do curtainsiders or reefers.

last night was a bit better. 58 plate CF with the cruise control sitting at 55 down to newcastle. most of them cruise at 52. there was a query when i got back though. apparently the GPS said i was parked up in newcastle from 0253 to 0400. i knocked off at 0700 so even though i had one of their fast trucks i cant see me managing that one :unamused:

i got a ticking off on tuesday night. i had a mixed load of fresh, chilled and frozen for 2 shops half an hour apart. i got to the first one and tipped 7 cages off the tail lift. then we realised that the other 4 cages were at against the bulkhead which was 34 cages away from the back door. with 2 options available, tip and reload that lot or go to the other shop and come back, i opted for the second option and brought the 4 cages back. apparently i should have phoned in for authorisation to return to the first shop :unamused:
they pay me to deliver, i delivered! whats the problem? :imp:

so you wernt the only one last night who had a similar problem.

i had a whole shops delivery in the middle of my trailer, with another shops either side of that oneā€¦then one for that shop in the middle right at the frontā€¦even better 42 cages to come offā€¦aye right, depot phoned up and im told to beat it lol.

get to the other drop and its about 0130 at the musselburgh store (which is sorta residential) and its a tail lift job of 34 cages, 3am i get on my way again and i dont think many people woulda been able to keep up with me on the way back. i dont sit at 50 or less. anyway i was tired i had a breakdown and 2 screwed deliveries in a 13 hour shiftā€¦great tosco

If we have split loads i usually go on the back check they are in the right order and if they ainā€™t go back in and ask them to change the running order.

Rarely is wrong thankfully, have had a few times when there has been frozen at the bulkhead but typically only happens when there is little on board, like having to maybe move 12 cages max.

Kenny1975:
If we have split loads i usually go on the back check they are in the right order and if they ainā€™t go back in and ask them to change the running order.

Rarely is wrong thankfully, have had a few times when there has been frozen at the bulkhead but typically only happens when there is little on board, like having to maybe move 12 cages max.

bit hard what wih trailer seals etc already on before we pick the trailer up.

Luckly we donā€™t have seals on when we pick up the trailer gets sealed on the way out.

I donā€™t like sealed trailers taking someone elses word that the load is secure, we are meant to check the load is secure and we have the right load, so get sealed at the gatehouse on the way out.

gogzy:
ā€˜ā€¦trailer seals etc already on before we pick the trailer upā€¦ā€™

Major disrespect gets oozed by this company (I donā€™t even like their name) for their insistance that drivers canā€™t check their load. I had a huge bulge appear in the tilt when a cage toppled - so I rang in & even the transport dude said ā€˜ā€¦itā€™ll be alright, mateā€¦ā€™

They just didnā€™t get it - or if they did, please let me know how itā€™s justified: Stuff them and their ā€˜every little (rip-off) helpsā€™.

Did 4 shifts last week out of Fradley - found everyone very helpful, and work okayish - just wish they did not use shovels to load some of the cages - i did think of mentioning my Health and Safety, but have assumed it has been mentioned plenty before (and i dont want to rock the boat, could be in there quite a bit over the next few weeks)

Seems busy enough at Fradley at the moment

uckna:
Did 4 shifts last week out of Fradley - found everyone very helpful, and work okayish - just wish they did not use shovels to load some of the cages - i did think of mentioning my Health and Safety, but have assumed it has been mentioned plenty before (and i dont want to rock the boat, could be in there quite a bit over the next few weeks)

Seems busy enough at Fradley at the moment

Its heads down, mouths shut, when it comes to H+S, where the driver is concerned IMHO :unamused:

Those shovelled on loads are a pain, I agree. [its called Polish packing]

The best way to further your career @ Fradley, is deffo, DO NOT rock the boat, they don`t like a smart arse, The ā€œdefect freaksā€ certainly do not last :open_mouth:

Otherwise, It ain`t a bad little number :wink: