Tesco - Reading. Assessment

ytrehodluap:
Managed to just about get round it dead slow with a bump but passed never the less. Think the reason I wasn’t offered the job at the time was I was somewhat taken aback by the rates being offered at the time…

Can I ask what rates you were expecting??

It’s by no means the best paid driving job but it’s defo not the worst. Did they offer you a start?

I was under the impression with the “lorry driver shortage” it was near £19 an hour (probably confused myself looking at so many job adverts though) was taken aback when they said from £14 something for days presumably. There was also a bonus not sure about the specifics at the time but no mention was made of that either.

ytrehodluap:
I was under the impression with the “lorry driver shortage” it was near £19 an hour (probably confused myself looking at so many job adverts though) was taken aback when they said from £14 something for days presumably. There was also a bonus not sure about the specifics at the time but no mention was made of that either.

TESCO £19 get real !!

robthedog:

ytrehodluap:

TESCO £19 get real !!

Tesco were advertising £50k. So what is their rate?

And this is what I have been saying. Bullshine stories about HGV drivers earning mega-money has created a fantasy world were people think that £19 ph is the norm. That in turn entices people to the profession that otherwise would never have dreamt of being a lorry driver. And a lot of these new people cannot seem to reverse for toffee, even after a few months of driving. The ■■■■ poor efforts of reversing I see today is diabolical, its something that years ago we would have gotten the sack for.
My missus works in a small garden center and she says that when a artic comes in with a delivery about 75% struggle to reverse in off the road and quite a few try, struggle then give in and have to return to base. The garden center is a piece of cake to reverse in and there is even room to take shunts if required.
The standards are falling and will only get worse.

msgyorkie:
The ■■■■ poor efforts of reversing I see today is diabolical,

I must say, without a shadow of doubt, I’ve seen some horrendous reversing these past couple of months. One lad took 40 mins getting onto a bay with a huge empty yard at a place in Rugby a few weeks ago, with 2 drivers helping him too. I’m assuming he was one of the new lot who didn’t do reversing on his test. I know I sound like I’m exaggerating, but I’m not. It was literally 40 minutes.

ezydriver:
[. I’m assuming he was one of the new lot who didn’t do reversing on his test. .

There’s no such thing
Everyone is tested on their reversing to get a licence.

stu675:

robthedog:

ytrehodluap:

TESCO £19 get real !!

Can inky speak for my depot but its £14.63 base rate. That’s not an entirely accurate gauge either as a lot of hours are worked at premium rates, but its not obvious looking at an advert or just being told what what the base rate is.

If you flattened out my premiums and simply divde pay between hours worked I’m up nearer £20ph in terms of what I actually earn.

stu675:

ezydriver:
[. I’m assuming he was one of the new lot who didn’t do reversing on his test. .

There’s no such thing

I thought to ease the ‘driver shortage’ the reversing and trailer uncoupling had been dropped from the test, replaced by a tick-box exercise during pre-test training.

ezydriver:

stu675:

ezydriver:

There’s no such thing

I thought to ease the ‘driver shortage’ the reversing and trailer uncoupling had been dropped from the test, replaced by a tick-box exercise during pre-test training.

I think what they actually ended up doing was to split the reversing exercise and on road driving into two seperate sessions which are booked separately, to help speed up the process on test days as they can smash out more reverses/drives without delays from waiting for the reversing pad before they can go out etc

cman:

ezydriver:

stu675:

ezydriver:

There’s no such thing

I think what they actually ended up doing was to split the reversing exercise and on road driving into two seperate sessions which are booked separately, to help speed up the process on test days as they can smash out more reverses/drives without delays from waiting for the reversing pad before they can go out etc

This is correct. Apparently they intend to farm out the reverse to the training schools. With the trainer not allowed to test their own pupil. I think I’d have preferred that!

So despondent about the whole thing atm.

So are test candidates tested by an official examiner, or an HGV instructor?

stu675:

robthedog:

ytrehodluap:

TESCO £19 get real !!

Where were they advertising 50k■■?

ytrehodluap:

Don’t know where you got £19, it’ll be £14.97 + paid breaks at Reading if the current ballot goes through with premiums on top of that.

ezydriver:
So are test candidates tested by an official examiner, or an HGV instructor?

HGV Instructor. Thought being it frees up the test centre so they can get more punters in. Given the instructors are on what I assume are pass bonuses, I can see there being quite a high pass rate or is that me being cynical.

I passed my class 1 test on Friday and have an assessment / interview booked at Tesco Reading in a few weeks.

The HR lady suggested that the assessment was really tough and that most new passes fail as the assessors don’t make any allowances… not sure if that resonates with folks on here, but if anyone has any further tips / advice on top of what I’ve already seen on the thread then they’d be very welcome!

FatLarry68:
I passed my class 1 test on Friday and have an assessment / interview booked at Tesco Reading in a few weeks.

The HR lady suggested that the assessment was really tough and that most new passes fail as the assessors don’t make any allowances… not sure if that resonates with folks on here, but if anyone has any further tips / advice on top of what I’ve already seen on the thread then they’d be very welcome!

Yes. I failed it for reversing. But then I had only done the bare minimum for the license test. I’ve since had another couple of hours tuition specifically for reversing and think I would have a fair chance now, but it’s not my first choice at the moment.

Like you I received enough training to pass the reversing test and no more. Maybe I’ll ask Kim for a few hours of reversing training before the assessment… thanks for the suggestion.