TC Beverley Bell`s comments in `Commercial Motor`

If drivers came up through the ranks like they used to, Then the training would have started a long time before they are old enough to drive an artic.
The British government are soft as [zb] against EU rules.
I started in a car, then a van, then a 7.5 tonner. then a class 1.
That was two tests, Now it’s a car test, 7.5 tonner test, rigid test, artic test.
Well where does an 18 year old get the money? He dosn’t, So he waits until he’s 21and goes for it 44 tonnes and no experience.
There was nothing wrong with the old ways, So why change it?

The best thing for road safety would be to get rid of stupid rules made up by stupid people.

now now Phil …Mike-C

just in case there is any confusion, my original point about beverley bells comments was about the language she used to describe drivers. i felt i was being compared to a wild animal. All inexperienced young drivers should be provided with on the job training but being inexperienced doesnt mean youre reckless or wild. Beverley doesnt seem to agree with young drivers learning their trade through word of mouth from experienced drivers. I disagree with this and feel companies should use experienced drivers to train the new generation and also experienced drivers should be more approachable for advice. If drivers cant have respect for each other is it any wonder were treated like second class citizens at RDC`s and by the likes of Beverley Bell.

limeyphil:
If drivers came up through the ranks like they used to, Then the training would have started a long time before they are old enough to drive an artic.
The British government are soft as [zb] against EU rules.
I started in a car, then a van, then a 7.5 tonner. then a class 1.
That was two tests, Now it’s a car test, 7.5 tonner test, rigid test, artic test.
Well where does an 18 year old get the money? He dosn’t, So he waits until he’s 21and goes for it 44 tonnes and no experience.
There was nothing wrong with the old ways, So why change it?

I totally agree.

Sadly though I doubt those days of “CDF”, or common sense if you like, are likely to return.
Due to a combination of EU BS and the seemingly, ever decreasing esteem we appear to be held in by Joe Public & UK plc.
These two factors plus, as Limeyphil said, the ridiculous cost these potential apprentices to the industry have to cough up to get a foot on the ladder in the first place, must surely put them off (amongst the other long list of familiar gripes of the job).

It’s easy enough to understand why this doesn’t happen as commonly today, from an operators point of view.
The main reason being cost. Something you don’t want more of when rates are already skin tight.

So it could be argued that foreign cabotage in the UK, which undoubtedly does drive down haulage rates, is having a direct effect on UK operators ability to thoroughly ground new recruits before handing over the keys to a fully freighted 44 tonner.

truckinhell:
in my experience we HGV drivers are the most courteous and polite of all drivers and deserve more respect.

not in mine Truckin, theres way too many hgv drivers out there today who shouldnt be let anywhere near the wheel of a go-kart, never mind something like a truck. i sit at 52 (don’t have too much choice in that anyway) now and let them get on with it.

Not so very long ago, I was loading axles on a flatbed, Which of course is very different to pallets of cement.
So i strapped them down in a similar way i was shown to do it with ropes, An old boy came over and said i was doing it wrong, I assured him it was a proven method.
So i showed him.
“Forty odd years, And i’m still learning” he laughed

There is far too much to know about this job, You just can’t learn it in a class room or from a book.
When will the TC’s and the rest of the idiots learn?
Maybe a TC should have 5 years class one work behind them before applying for the job.
What am i on about, They wouldn’t last 5 minutes. :laughing:

Well the insults are sure flying on this subject.Can we all remember when we were the greenhorn.What sort of cretin hands over the keys to several hundred thousand quids worth to a stranger ,who may or not know what he is doing.When I was a semi skilled factory worker 35 years ago I was under the wing of an experienced man for my first 3 weeks .My turning lathe must have been rated at no more than 4h.p. and was worth all of £50 .We all know that training vehicles are a bit basic and have little in common with a powerful modern truck.Madam Bell has a good point ,the traffic managers could do with a wake up.

Does anyone think that a law requiring new LGV drivers to have compulsory post test in-house training should be introduced or would that have a negative effect especially on newbies getting their first break :question: :question: :question:

ROG:
Does anyone think that a law requiring new LGV drivers to have compulsory post test in-house training should be introduced or would that have a negative effect especially on newbies getting their first break :question: :question: :question:

In house post test training would have exactly a positive effect on a newbie rather than negative. Post test training is routineley done at most large companies now anyway. Whilst i’m not sure if it is specifically law yet, there is a legal obligation upon any employer to make sure their employee knows what he’s doing. Probably , well not probably i know for a fact !!! Most didn’t do it. The result is the drivers CPC, so we all know what we’re doing :wink:

Mike-C:

ROG:

In house post test training would have exactly a positive effect on a newbie rather than negative. Post test training is routineley done at most large companies now anyway. Whilst i’m not sure if it is specifically law yet, there is a legal obligation upon any employer to make sure their employee knows what he’s doing. Probably , well not probably i know for a fact !!! Most didn’t do it. The result is the drivers CPC, so we all know what we’re doing :wink:

I was thinking more on the lines of - go out with an experienced trucker for a week - but that would cost the companies…

Rog would they prefer the cost of a weeks ‘guidance’ or the cost of any repair bills, insurnace fees etc. Im my opinion the driver has a duty of care to ensure he doesn’t cause any accidents and has a duty of care towards other road users, and it is the employers duty of care to ensure that the driver has been given sufficient training and guidance in how to carry out his role in a safe manner without causing any incidents. It seems people need to take a step back and re-evalute their company procedures, to ensure they are giving sufficient guidance in this way, especially as we seem to have adopted the American suing culture into this country now

Rog would they prefer the cost of a weeks ‘guidance’ or the cost of any repair bills, insurnace fees etc. Im my opinion the driver has a duty of care to ensure he doesn’t cause any accidents and has a duty of care towards other road users, and it is the employers duty of care to ensure that the driver has been given sufficient training and guidance in how to carry out his role in a safe manner without causing any incidents. It seems people need to take a step back and re-evalute their company procedures, to ensure they are giving sufficient guidance in this way, especially as we seem to have adopted the American suing culture into this country now

i dont know about many of you lot,but i find miss bell rather attractive…

buck73:
i dont know about many of you lot,but i find miss bell rather attractive…

Well some people like pit bulls.

You should’ve gone to specsavers.

limeyphil:
You should’ve gone to specsavers.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: