Tanker roll overs

I think its the 80/20 rule you refer to

Tanks must be more than 80% full or less than 20% full unless compartments are less then 7500 liters, thus the need for baffles or divisions

Sniffy:
I think its the 80/20 rule you refer to

Tanks must be more than 80% full or less than 20% full unless compartments are less then 7500 liters, thus the need for baffles or divisions

that only applies if it a hazardous load

Grumpy Dad:
Done a few shifts for my mate pulling trailers out of immingham, and I’m not sure which school of driving these tanker drivers went to, but they fly out of the terminal with no consideration to anyone else on the road, racing up to the lights and braking at the last minute, 3 or 4 will run bumper to bumper along the A160 towards the A180, how one of them hasn’t rolled on the roundabout is a miracle.
Maybe it’s time the U.K. took a leaf out of the German and French transport regs and ADR loads run 50mph max with no less than 50mtrs behind another ADR carrying vehicle.

Be interested in OwenMoney’s take on how well those regs work?
Seeing some idiots with no patience being frustrated by slower haz trucks does it cause as much hassle as it cures? If all vehicles run at same limit there should be less risk of dodgy overtakes.
Doesn’t always work like that in the real world, and idiots will be true to form…
Any figures showing if different speed limits help?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:
Done a few shifts for my mate pulling trailers out of immingham, and I’m not sure which school of driving these tanker drivers went to, but they fly out of the terminal with no consideration to anyone else on the road, racing up to the lights and braking at the last minute, 3 or 4 will run bumper to bumper along the A160 towards the A180, how one of them hasn’t rolled on the roundabout is a miracle.
Maybe it’s time the U.K. took a leaf out of the German and French transport regs and ADR loads run 50mph max with no less than 50mtrs behind another ADR carrying vehicle.

Seeing some idiots with no patience being frustrated by slower haz trucks does it cause as much hassle as it cures? If all vehicles run at same limit there should be less risk of dodgy overtakes.
Doesn’t always work like that in the real world, and idiots will be true to form…

Maybe this is something that should be discussed in a new thread so as not to take the comments away from the original topic .

Grumpy Dad:

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:

Maybe this is something that should be discussed in a new thread so as not to take the comments away from the original topic .

Fair comment.

My milk tanker can carry 27,000 litres to be on max weight.
It doesn’t have baffles obviously but it does have a sort of step or weir, so I can tell it to load the front, or both. Never just the back, the meter won’t let you.
It doesn’t stay at the front for long, and soon levels out, but having that bit of extra weight at the front can help you get out of some steep farm access roads.
If you’re part loaded it all depends on how much, you can put say 5000 litres in and hardly notice it, but 16000 for example is very noticeable!
Touch the brakes and you can feel it sloshing back and forth for a good minute or so.
Hit a steep hill and it kills your speed very quickly.
As above, the key is think ahead, keep your momentum and keep it smooth.
When it’s full it hardly moves at all, but it’s one hell of a weight to drag up hills!
My truck is an auto, and if part loaded it can confuse the hell out of the box, as it surged forward the box thinks you’ve gained a load of speed and changes up sometimes two gears, then it runs to the back and it feels like someone has dropped anchor, and it changes down again, can be a nightmare on hill starts, dumping the air on the tag axle can be a big help and often gets us out of trouble.
Edit:
Forgot to say, the anti roll over braking is very noticeable on our trailers, but you’ve got to really throw it into a corner for it to kick in, when it does it feels like you’ve hit the brakes really hard for a split second.
I’ve never had it happen but have been a passenger when it has

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:

Patience, patience and the stoic calm attitude of Zeno. That’s what’s required . Limited at 60,70 and 80 k in France.Find a nice radio station and chill out.
Pull over and let the racers past & the truckers with a day to do. I give it all the time to do the job safely. Going up and down the mountains in Spain this week even with an excellent retarder it’s all about care, attention and reading the road. Watching the mirrors and not letting people get frustrated to stop risky over-taking.
Routine ministry checks to verify speed limits being observed. Tanker drivers don’t rush about here.

(Talking of patience wearing thin Franglais…Where’s my coffee ■■? - No more Mrs.May stole my wallet bull)

OwenMoney:

Franglais:

Grumpy Dad:

Patience, patience and the stoic calm attitude of Zeno. That’s what’s required . Limited at 60,70 and 80 k in France.Find a nice radio station and chill out.
Pull over and let the racers past & the truckers with a day to do. I give it all the time to do the job safely. Going up and down the mountains in Spain this week even with an excellent retarder it’s all about care, attention and reading the road. Watching the mirrors and not letting people get frustrated to stop risky over-taking.
Routine ministry checks to verify speed limits being observed. Tanker drivers don’t rush about here.

(Talking of patience wearing thin Franglais…Where’s my coffee ■■? - No more Mrs.May stole my wallet bull)

There does seem to be a sub-group of petrol tanker drivers around Port St Louis? Liveried tanks but plain white tractor units and they overtake me when I’m on the autoroute at very near 90kph. But then Marseille isn’t quite the same as the rest of France is it?
Did I really say some woman had run off with my running money? Can’t believe I would have generous enough to offer a coffee from my own funds!

One of the old boy’s said to me when I first started tanker work

“If you’re uncomfortable going round corners up the front, the load is uncomfortable too”

I have not rolled a tanker or even had wheels off the ground in 10 years.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

claretmatt:
I have not rolled a tanker or even had wheels off the ground in 10 years.

Sounds like that old joke about marriage: “I’ve had 10 good years of driving tankers without a rollover. Problem is, I’ve been driving 'em 25 years!” :laughing: