Tachograph Infringements

I take my breaks, split, at loading points, as I don’t think stopping in a lay by is a break, and I’m too easily tempted by the sweets at the services. I go to loo, eat, coffee, and come back to the truck. Check the load, zip her up, and away I go.

I’ve had bother with vosa before, printouts are important, makes it look like your atleast trying to do it right.

Keep cool Iceman. The DVSA are human too. If stopped it is all about passing or failing the attitude test.
When on the weigh bridge and a driver giving F this and F that ,expect to be there a long time.
When getting stopped abroad, i open the cab door, shake their hand and try and speak in their language.
On many times doing this,a French Gendarme stood on the cab step for one second than says on your way,bonne route with no inspection.

Conor:

1. Employers are required to store records for 12 months.

2 Years actually because of the WTD

I’ve got millions of infringements if you need some more

I don’t know if it’s true, but I was told some years back that the info on a digi card is always retrievable. It gets over-written but doesn’t disappear completely. A bit like deleting an email methinks. It may be gone from sight, but if you know what to do, you can get it back.

As I say, might be tripe, but who knows?

threewheelsonmywagon:
I don’t know if it’s true, but I was told some years back that the info on a digi card is always retrievable. It gets over-written but doesn’t disappear completely. A bit like deleting an email methinks. It may be gone from sight, but if you know what to do, you can get it back.

As I say, might be tripe, but who knows?

The memory chip on a driver card has a limited capacity, when the memory chip is full the data gets overwritten and is gone for ever.

I believe the last five driver events such as over-speeding will remain on the card until they are also overwritten by more recent driver events.

ROG:
Why are you taking the driving time near to the wire ?

Are you under the impression that taking a 45 min driving break at 3.5 hours loses 1 hour of driving time?

for a lot of drivers,taking a 45 early can completely mess your entire workload/schedule/trip if your on distance work…depending on what your running at above 56 then for example it needs to be 4-30 from cairnryan to lymm at worst,better if its knutsford,or if your completely lit at night, sandbach,then once your out,its another 4-30 to dover/folkstone/portsmouth etc.if your not flat to the mat from boat to your 1st 45 break,then you cant poss make the chunnel/ferry stretching the next hit and then you need to show an extra 45. i dont suppose it matters much doing around the doors stuff,but if your chasing the boat,then every inch matters as missing the boat you need,can mean a night with no sleep,or broken sleep at the wrong time,hence the usual irish,must make boat button is on most of the time.its ok from holyhead as you must show a break to dover/portsmouth…it might not exactly be the way tosco would do it,but thats the way it is for a lot especially if your on fridgework and ,especially the smaller subbie companies with drivers that like to run that way. so in certain cases,it need to be 4-30 on the button,or the job cant be done the way it needs to be.the extra 45s would escalate into a complete bollox of a trip.either you would endup working for a lot less per day,or you would be lucky to get back before you had to leave again.;the jobs different for different folk,if it was a tosco type,then time is of no importance,whereas for others every inch matters in the long run,moreso if your on trip money or self employed.

If the planning means that time is that tight then the planners need to rethink

If the driver is that dumb to go along with such a tight schedule then they also need to rethink

theiceman1978:
I asked a perfectly legitimate question. I know full well all infrigements on a tacho card are serious. That’s why im worried about them. However,never once have I moaned about them. Never once have I asked or even looked for ways to get them removed,legally or otherwise. I accept 100% blame for them. Ive got them and I need to accept the consequences. All I wanted to know was how long they stayed on and what I could expect if stopped at a roadside.
I expected some advice from guys with experience. Instead all Ive got is the usual mr know-it-alls who have nothing better to do than surf forums all day and post their arrogant,condescending remarks. Forums are supposed to be a place where you can ask questions and get replies from people in the know. It is because of replies like ive had that put people off posting on forums because the self proclaimed experts who never put a foot wrong and think they know everything do nothing but insult and put people down.
The driving time regulations are a minefield so excuse me all over the place for making a mistake.
I am done replying on this thread. I will deal with what happens if or when.
However,in future if I post anything and you cant answer properly and helpfully then jog on to another post. If I can help or answer someone then I will. But ill do it without insults or patronizing them. I expect the same in return.

You did get advice from guys with experience. It was just presented to you in a way that you didn’t like, but you kinda asked for it with your initial “meh, my infringements are not serious lol” style comments. :smiley:

Unfortunately VOSA these days are profit driven rather than safety driven so they’ll be rubbing their fat hands together at the amount of FPNs they could dish out to someone with as many as you have. Whether you want to run that risk is entirely your choice, but more importantly - and as Conor rightly says - if you are involved in a crash (even if it’s not your fault) they’ll cart your truck off and when they discover the long list of infringements you’ll be in licence losing territory and possibly jail time if the other people involved have died or received life changing injuries.

And they’re all idiots who seem completely unaware that the tacho still records without the card in.

WHAAAT?? :open_mouth:

fdm:

And they’re all idiots who seem completely unaware that the tacho still records without the card in.

A digital tachograph records activities on the driver card and in the VU, so even without a driver card being inserted the activities are still recorded in the VU.

That’s why you do vehicle printouts before and after each shift if your driver card is faulty/lost/stolen.

tachograph:

fdm:

A digital tachograph records activities on the driver card and in the VU, so even without a driver card being inserted the activities are still recorded in the VU.

That’s why you do vehicle printouts before and after each shift if your driver card is faulty/lost/stolen.

Thats also how they can catch people who have destroyed their cards on purpose to avoid showing their infringements.

google beverly bell - then call her and ask about its only a few minutes (her advice is 1 min over is as much of an offence as an hour!)