Sutton Back was closed today

I’ve only been up there once in an artic, 4 x 2 unit with a tandem step frame trailer. As the load fitted perfectly on the main deck the step was empty, and I asked for a couple of IBC’s full of water (the garage used 'em for test weights) to be put on the front. Not possible apparently as I had a collection on the way back. It all gave up on the hairpin bend with the drive axle hopping around and getting nowhere except backwards. Luckily the diff lock worked so I was able to sort myself out with that and crawler. I certainly wouldn’t try it again.

It seems this happens frequently enough that I’m surprised the council hasn’t just gone sod it an either banned all articulated vehicles, or stick a weight limit on, maybe 18ton?

The problem is if your weight is ok and have you a crystal ball and know the road condition is good then your ok. But if you don’t have a crystal ball and it turns out it’s wet and sloppy when you get there you’ve significantly reduced your chances of getting up.

Another thread about Sutton Bank? I wouldn’t attempt it in an artic and the caravan route isn’t a whole lot better.
As pointed out by Juddian,above,I leaned my lesson about letting the technology deal with steep hills.One wet night between Hereford and Worcester (Clowes Top?) I found out the hard way that technology can’t change gear fast enough on a steep and wet surface.Manual shifts and the mark1 eyeball is best.

cav551:
Don’t the signs telling you not to go that way start back in Thirsk?

This+1

dafdave:

cav551:

This+1

Not as black and white as that is doesn’t. It says something like caravans prohibited and unsuitable for heavy loads. Then another sign further down says how many HGV blockages there’s been in the last month or year or whatever.

Problem with that sign is what’s a heavy load? And are we taking power to weight ratio into account? Is someone in an artic with a 10 ton load with 420hp not to go but someone in with a 10ton load with 650hp allowed? Or is heavy load referring to all HGVs whether empty or loaded? And even at that it’s not a prohibition it’s only a warning.

They’d be better setting it stone, making it black and white and putting a weight limit on execpt for access maybe.

DickyNick:

dafdave:

cav551:

This+1

Not as black and white as that is doesn’t. It says something like caravans prohibited and unsuitable for heavy loads. Then another sign further down says how many HGV blockages there’s been in the last month or year or whatever.

Problem with that sign is what’s a heavy load? And are we taking power to weight ratio into account? Is someone in an artic with a 10 ton load with 420hp not to go but someone in with a 10ton load with 650hp allowed? Or is heavy load referring to all HGVs whether empty or loaded? And even at that it’s not a prohibition it’s only a warning.

They’d be better setting it stone, making it black and white and putting a weight limit on execpt for access maybe.

Common sense should prevail in this situation.The first time i saw that sign was enough for me.I wasnt half loaded at the time but didnt take the chance.

no common sense sat nav tells them to go that way

mat man:
no common sense sat nav tells them to go that way

Although I would note that my own Tomtom satnav will only route along that road (if planning a route from Thirsk to Scarborough) when the vehicle weight is set to 18T or lower.

I don’t live far from the top of Sutton Bank and I’ve been up and down it many a time with artics.

I’ve also turned an artic around on it twice. Once on the hairpin and once in the little turning area visible in the picture above, its not a layby.

Trouble is you can get up OK if its not wet, but it can be dry in Thirsk and raining half way up the Bank.

The sign at the bottom used to say “STOP and engage first gear”

My guess is that he ran out of air.