Suspended Sentence/Pulling Card

Whats the score with pulling your card when you get back to base? For example you pull on to the fuel pumps on 14:59 working time then pull your card… fuel up then go park the vehicle up as your on private land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac_A:

Franglais:
I can’t see owt about the company being in trouble anywhere? But since there is mention in the article about other drivers committing offences, maybe that will be coming along later?

I’d say that was guaranteed, but the OTC work to their own timescales and independently of the main judiciary. This guy plus nine other drivers were doing it? I’m curious how many drivers they have, I’d imagine this could be all of them, in which case the TC is going to ream the company big-style

Mr and Mrs Burke have had a few runnings with authority figures in their various company name changes.

mark1284:
Whats the score with pulling your card when you get back to base? For example you pull on to the fuel pumps on 14:59 working time then pull your card… fuel up then go park the vehicle up as your on private land

Still a bust.
The chances of being caught may be slim, but it is illegal.
Under EU rules all driving is counted, be it private land or not.

Domestic rules may not count driving off public roads as driving time, but EU does. If it was otherwise there would be all sorts of claims made about time in docks, in yards not counting and it would be practically unenforceable.
Half-hour over? “Ah, but I was queueng in the docks for 20mins, and look at the time I was manoeuvering in the yard” etc.
Also it won`t be rest or break as you are working, no matter where you are.
Vehicle movements will still show on the tacho head, and if there is no card will be flagged up as such. A few metres now and then may be explainable, more may not.

mark1284:

Legally, of course, you’re not supposed to. And it’s folly to think it isn’t recorded; because a simple download will prove that the vehicle was moved after the card was pulled not only when but how far and for how long; the only difficulty DVSA would have would be proving that it was you who moved it. What you are supposed to do is park the vehicle, do two printouts (one to keep for 28 days and one to give to the gaffer) and write on the back the reason for the infringement, usually “to access safe parking”, and sign it. But as we all know, that action inevitably causes more trouble than pulling the card if you happen to work for one of those firms with a “zero tolerance” policy on infringements.

That having been said, DVSA know that it happens; and my guess is that so long as drivers do not make a regular habit of it, they deem it sensible to leave alone, because if they enforced stuff to that level of micro-management, nobody would ever get anything done.
There is no such thing as “private land” under tacho rules any more. it pretty much disappeared around the time digital tachos came in, amongst a few other changes. You’re either driving or you’re not, regardless of where it is.

From what I’ve read about it, the tacho regs are written to catch you out, so obey it absolutely to the letter and tell your employer to shove it if they want any shenanigans. It’s you that gets the points/fines/jail time and there is apparently no blow-back on the employer for individual infringements, so just do not do it.

It may make me unpopular, but any jobs I go for I’ll make it known I will not run bent. If they end up not hiring me, perhaps I don’t want to be there in the first place!

EDIT: As Sidevalve said above, if you run over time (let’s say there was an accident and you ended up stuck on a motorway for 3 hours) then that is “legitimate” in the eyes of DVSA, so long as you made a point of getting to a service area and taking a break ASAP. If you continued driving for 4 hours, they may not like it so much.

TruckerGuy:
From what I’ve read about it, the tacho regs are written to catch you out, so obey it absolutely to the letter and tell your employer to shove it if they want any shenanigans. It’s you that gets the points/fines/jail time and there is apparently no blow-back on the employer for individual infringements, so just do not do it.

It may make me unpopular, but any jobs I go for I’ll make it known I will not run bent. If they end up not hiring me, perhaps I don’t want to be there in the first place!

They’re not written to catch you out; they’re written so as to keep you within the law, and keep you and the general public safe from drivers having accidents because they nodded off at the wheel, etc.

The basics, which is all the majority of us use, are actually pretty simple. I’ve said before, DCPC (particularly for newbies) ought to include not only the drivers’ hours regs but also more comprehensive training on how to actually use a digital tachograph properly. It’s all very well people saying RTFM but they can be a bit intimidating if you don’t already have a decent working knowledge of the regs, and the experience which helps you to plan your hours without forever doing printouts.

I agree with your mindset about not running bent.