Super Singles Or Not

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:
Just a bump to this thread, can anyone recommend a good super single steer please

Regards

From our experience, either Michelin pattern does well:

michelintransport.com/ple/fr … 0512111937

michelintransport.com/ple/fr … ubrique=46

Bridgestones seem ok, but avoid Continentals like the plague!!

Thanks

What sort of money are you paying for those if you don’t mind me asking?

dingocatcher:

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:
Just a bump to this thread, can anyone recommend a good super single steer please

Regards

Thanks

Sorry, can’t remember off hand (we don’t buy them that often, and I’ve got a memeory like a goldfish!)
I’ll have a look back the office tomorrow.

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:

Regards

Thanks

Sorry, can’t remember off hand (we don’t buy them that often, and I’ve got a memeory like a goldfish!)

Cheers for that

dingocatcher:

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:

Regards

In May 2010 we paid £412.09 + vat for an XZY3

In September 2009 we paid £383 + vat for an XFN2+

Cheers

Thanks

Cheers for that

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:

GCR2ERF:

dingocatcher:

Regards

In May 2010 we paid £412.09 + vat for an XZY3

In September 2009 we paid £383 + vat for an XFN2+

Cheers

Thanks

Cheers for that

Thats great thanks for the help

We have been running super single steer tyres on our tractor units since 2001 as i personally like the look of them and they certainly wear more even and last a lot longer, i have never noticed any difference in fuel consumption and running our trucks 4-5 years have never replaced any wheel bearings king pins or ball joints etc.
We have ran Good Year, Michelin and Bridgestones and tend to prefer Bridgestone’s being best value for money as they are cheaper than Michelin to buy and seem harder wearing.

well thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to stick with the 315/80’s as its a lot easier to stick with what i got, also cheaper. I have decided to go with the Bridgestones and see how they fair on rough farm tracks and regional work. I was informed that they have a hard shoulder on the R297 model so will probably stick them on my mid axle too as that axle doesn’t steer. What are peoples thoughts on the Bridgestone drive tyres. they look really chunky to me, much more than the michelins that are on it now.

durknp:
well thanks for the advice everyone. I have decided to stick with the 315/80’s as its a lot easier to stick with what i got, also cheaper. I have decided to go with the Bridgestones and see how they fair on rough farm tracks and regional work. I was informed that they have a hard shoulder on the R297 model so will probably stick them on my mid axle too as that axle doesn’t steer. What are peoples thoughts on the Bridgestone drive tyres. they look really chunky to me, much more than the michelins that are on it now.

They seem tough to me, I’m running Bridgestone R297 & R279s ( 215/80) all round on my Renault on farm work, and (touch wood) they seem to last ok !

Well i have took the leap to super singles from 315’s and have no regrets as of yet. I’m running them at 90psi and find they are a lot smoother to drive with. I’m not noticing any change yet with fuel and its to early to tell about wear on joints etc but i’m of the impression that running them at 90psi is letting the tyre itself take a bit of abuse away from the joints. Small potholes, manhole covers and roadside drain covers are not noticeable through the steering where i would have felt them with the 315’s.

I’m on Bridgestone m788’s as choice of tyres at the moment is a bit limited with my supplier

Has anybody had any problems with bridgestone 788 steers, i have two fitted now for two months and the near side one looks like someone had run a stanley knife around the edge of it about half a inch down the outside thread. actually looks like the cap lifting of a remould :exclamation:

dingocatcher:
Has anybody had any problems with bridgestone 788 steers, i have two fitted now for two months and the near side one looks like someone had run a stanley knife around the edge of it about half a inch down the outside thread. actually looks like the cap lifting of a remould :exclamation:

Is it worth re-checking tyre pressures and tracking?

The thing with tyres is people look at them in the wrong way entirely, at speeds up to 55mph the biggest impact on fuel consumption is rolling resistance, over 55mph it’s aerodynamics, seeing that you’re limited to 56mph it’s safe to assume that rolling resistance is your biggest enemy, putting super singles on the front will increase rolling resistance, therefore you’ll lose mpg, you may get an extra year out of a set of super singles, but you’ll lose up to half a mile per gallon in the process, do the sums, half a mile per gallon will always cost you more than you’ll save on tyre costs :wink:

Michelin has a calculator on their website, you click on the ‘tools’ box and then ‘calculator’ you then enter the details of your current tyres and a load of other stuff like fuel price, it will give you an overall rolling resistance figure and then do the same for any new tyres you’re thinking of buying, compare the costs of the two options, you’ll be amazed at how much money a cheap tyre can cost you in the long run. They have most tyre manufacturers on there, not just their own tyres :wink:

newmercman:
The thing with tyres is people look at them in the wrong way entirely, at speeds up to 55mph the biggest impact on fuel consumption is rolling resistance, over 55mph it’s aerodynamics, seeing that you’re limited to 56mph it’s safe to assume that rolling resistance is your biggest enemy, putting super singles on the front will increase rolling resistance, therefore you’ll lose mpg, you may get an extra year out of a set of super singles, but you’ll lose up to half a mile per gallon in the process, do the sums, half a mile per gallon will always cost you more than you’ll save on tyre costs :wink:

Michelin has a calculator on their website, you click on the ‘tools’ box and then ‘calculator’ you then enter the details of your current tyres and a load of other stuff like fuel price, it will give you an overall rolling resistance figure and then do the same for any new tyres you’re thinking of buying, compare the costs of the two options, you’ll be amazed at how much money a cheap tyre can cost you in the long run. They have most tyre manufacturers on there, not just their own tyres :wink:

Hi Newmercman, can you post a link to that calculator please? I’ve had a look but no joy :cry: :blush:

GCR2ERF, if you go to http://www.letstruck.com and hit the tools drop down thingy and then calculator it will lead you to the Michelin site :wink:

Thanks for the tip mate… I can only find ‘load board’ & ‘fuel prices’ on the toolbox drop-down though? :blush: :blush:

I haven’t looked at it for a while, maybe it’s on his other site, I’ll have a look to see where it is and post the link :wink:

Or as there’s no point having a dog and barking yourself, ask your tyre dealer to look into the rolling resistance numbers for any tyre you fancy, the lower the number, the better the tyre, a difference of less than 10 points is marginal, I’m not clued up on 385/65s, but FYI a good low resistance 295/80 steer (all position) tyre like an XZA or Yokohama RY617 will be a 100ish, for a drive tyre the Michelin Energy XDA is 99, a Bridgestone M726 is 176, that Bridgestone will last forever, but will cost a fortune in lost mpg :wink:

Thanks for the tip mate, I’ll keep looking :slight_smile:

super singles or not? easy go for super singles, i have and i havent regretted it.

I was thinking of this last night, why do coach operators not use super singles all round?

Wheel Nut:
I was thinking of this last night, why do coach operators not use super singles all round?

Might be something to do with coaches using a lighter tyre with lower ply rating.I don`t know if super singles come in different ply ratings.