Sugar Tankers

I did it on Solstor when we had the contract, it was loading in France and tipping up north, the tank was was done in France cos it was closest to the loading point and the wash certificate had a time limit, the job was clean, all loading was done under cover and took about 20 minutes with very modern loading facilities, the only waiting we had was the queue to get in the bay. Unloading could be time consuming, make sure the tank is thoroughly dry before loading, so we use to tip the tank to drain the water, and then run the air with the back open, i personally never saw any wasps but it was dry sugar and not liquid. all in all it was a great job good equipment including a sight glass for tipping at least you could watch the flow, just make sure the pressure is not too high, and check the silo is ok to take your load, normally someone on site to tell you that. There was a few times the lids would blow on the silo, which is why we got the job and the French didnt lol we wanted to keep it but wanted an increase on the rate, the French said no, because they wanted their own country to do the job…shame.

1997 i started at tate and lyle so i would imagine to 1999 at skem then went roaming that bird started then got threatend with redundancy in 2004 so jumped ship to messers now air liquide gas contract still there now

Here is a photo I found online of a tank being washed out

We used to wash out after every load regardless , I’m not to sure about someone like British sugar , we always used specialized tank washes ,
what they do is put spray nozzles in every loading hole on top of the tank which blast hot water around the inside of the tank ,
As for what you do depends on the cleaning station , I always undid the the lids on top of the tank ,
you might have to open the discharge valves , run the discharge pump on the back of the tank and may be get the discharge pipes out for cleaning , some drivers were happy to let the cleaning station do it all .
but to be honest I use to clean my own pipes and make sure everything was clean as a rejection at a loading point for a dirty tank is the last thing you want.

gazza1970:
Here is a photo I found online of a tank being washed out
We used to wash out after every load regardless , I’m not to sure about someone like British sugar , we always used specialized tank washes ,
what they do is put spray nozzles in every loading hole on top of the tank which blast hot water around the inside of the tank ,
As for what you do depends on the cleaning station , I always undid the the lids on top of the tank ,
you might have to open the discharge valves , run the discharge pump on the back of the tank and may be get the discharge pipes out for cleaning , some drivers were happy to let the cleaning station do it all .
but to be honest I use to clean my own pipes and make sure everything was clean as a rejection at a loading point for a dirty tank is the last thing you want.

remember seeing these loading in silvertown

I used to go to Topeka tank wash when i was pulling Seabrook juice tanks a great job.

truckyboy:
I used to go to Topeka tank wash when i was pulling Seabrook juice tanks a great job.

seen a few off them at princess foods

my mate is still at tate and lyle turners are running the contract from what i here there paying 80 quid a shift i used to earn double

Did the liquid sugar(Juice) at Cantly! Load and tip at Wissington! Either Thick juice or Green and reload back at Cantly for the night man!
Only time the tank got washed out was switching from Green juice to Thick juice or if any Feldbinder bod had done any work on the tanks!
Suttons have the contract with British Sugar. Very easy work and can be very messy if you don’t load/tip as induction!

These sugar tankers must a real magnet for wasps when parked for a night in services/truck stop/layby, especialy if it’s somewhere rural, amongst fields.
Do British Sugar tankers transport liquid form or is it granulated (or whatever the other form is called)?

Hkloss1 the tanks are sealed and air tight ,
They are that air tight I have seen tanks roll over and not spill a drop .
All you have to is just think of it as a unopened bottle of pop , for as long as it’s sealed do they attract bees and wasps?

I hated it boring noisy work. Pipes splitting silos blocking. As for wasps the chocolate factory in Banbury was HELL

What I was talking about was that there are always some traces of product you discharge left around the edges of you tanker’s valve, that’s what happens with all types of tankers, and the same I’d imaginable would be with sugar tankers.
You don’t clean them every time straight after unloading, sometimes I’d imaginable tanks would not be washed for days, or maybe even weeks when transporting same product all the time, so some of that sugar would stick to the tanker’s discharge valves, pipes, which I’d imagine would attract some wasps or bees.
I could obviously be wrong as I’ve never done this type of work.
When parking for a night out, even an empty but uncleaned tanker, it could be a problem.
Someone might want to correct me on this.

If they’re stood anywhere they attract wasps and bees.

If it’s liquid sugar then there is always a hose pipe to wash any drips or spills away and all hoses and discharge pipes have caps that go on the end to seal them up ,this apples to granulated and liquid sugar .
It’s exactly the same for any kind of tanker , just go down to your local garage when the fuel tanker turns up and you will see .
I wouldn’t worry if I was you as no company is going to let you loose with a tanker without training or at least check you know what your doing .

gazza1970:
If it’s liquid sugar then there is always a hose pipe to wash any drips or spills away and all hoses and discharge pipes have caps that go on the end to seal them up ,this apples to granulated and liquid sugar .
It’s exactly the same for any kind of tanker , just go down to your local garage when the fuel tanker turns up and you will see .
I wouldn’t worry if I was you as no company is going to let you lose with a tanker without training or at least check you know what your doing .

KENT FOODS WOULD !!!

topmixer11:
I hated it boring noisy work. Pipes splitting silos blocking. As for wasps the chocolate factory in Banbury was HELL

I tip there quite often and your right. The wasps are pretty bad There. Look like their on steroids. I tuck my overalls into my socks to stop them going up my legs. Leave them alone and there happy enough just munching on sugar. Think the factory is Barry callebaut.

Topmixer11
I will rephrase it then as a decent firm who cares about its drivers and tackle wouldn’t let a inexperienced tanker driver out without showing them the ropes and check that they know what there doing .

gazza1970:
Topmixer11
I will rephrase it then as a decent firm who cares about its drivers and tackle wouldn’t let a inexperienced tanker driver out without showing them the ropes and check that they know what there doing .

so what was the name of the indecent firm that let you out with tanker then gazza :smiley:
you keep harping on about sugar tankers but what your describing is glucose syrup tankers, there is a big difference.
also the pic you found on tinterweb is a chocolate tanker being cleaned again a big difference :smiley:
which part of a tank is known as the loading hole which you mention :question:
where have you watched all these tanks roll over and not spill a drop :question:

Green just for your info the picture was only to show what the top of the tank looked like being washed out ,I didn’t say it was a sugar tank being washed out
I worked for norbert dentressangle at santes depot for 6 years doing liquid food tanks carrying sugar ,glucose ,chocolate,wine,oil ,juices, I also did 4years on sitra from Ieper Belgium doing the same sort of work and they had there fair share of role overs , as for the loading hole it was easier to explain to someone who has never seen a tanker ,
I could have started to explain that some tankers have spray balls that you may need to fit for washing out also it might have a heating system fitted , is there anything else you want to pick holes in my friend.

yeah there is
liquid food tanks do not carry sugar :smiley: