Strapping Pallets on Curtain siders?

I’d just like to know what the legal point of view is when someone is given a fixed penalty for an insufficiently restrained load, when that load hasn’t moved. That’s like saying I could be done for ■■■■ just because I’m walking round town with a ■■■■ in my trousers.

What happens if another driver has bought a loaded trailer in say on a Friday and you are to take it out on a Monday but he has left the straps in the pockets and there is no way of getting them out? Are you to refuse to take the load out and risk being put on jankers for the week or even being put on a disaplinary? :unamused:

Are you saying your firm would give you a disaplinary if you refused to take a unrestrained load out onto the public highway?

2 ton of ingots …sliding about the floor of the trailer even when strapped up before i got hold of these pallets…i always say …if in doubt strap it , you will look a bit of a d**k when it all comes through the trailer curtains …

Big worry. If that stupid petition works and we end up on 12 hour days, then by the time I’ve loaded and strapped, driven a few hours, I’ll run out of time halfway through unstrapping! Then the police will have to cone off 3 days either side for 12 hours. God sake men think of the chalk.

(PS this is a tongue in cheek comment)

martinviking:

Dan_1986:
Question…

I see a few 20ft and 40ft containers on flat beds not chained or strapped down, do they ever move? Isnt it best pratice to chain them or strap them?

Just a question please dont throw things at me ive lost my tin hat.

Dan

Twist locks !
(One on each corner of the container)

I must admit, there’s an 8 wheel flatbed hiab lorry that I’ve seen twice now with a small container on the back. Just looks like its plonked on with no restraint. The flat bed is a few inches bigger than the container which led me to think that it wasn’t secured down. I’ve had to look twice at it when I’ve seen it and still can’t fathom out how it’s held on lol.

So how the hell will I strap my load down? I move anything from a cordless screwdriver to 4x4 scissor lifts.

I work for a tool hire firm, and the way we move gear is just wedge everything in, up to the head board, if it pops over the sideboard, (12") see if you think it will move,

For example my load today, at £60 fine a pop I would have been a few quid down…

40 carpet driers, floor sanders, floor scrubbers, hilti breakers, extension leaders, generators, welders, pumps… All sorts.

Terry T:
When I was at Stobarts I was told palletised goods don’t need to be strapped at all. Sometimes the back 2 were strapped, sometimes not. Except for the double stacked tissue paper, that was strapped every 4th pallet.

Same at Unilever in Cannock, went there a few times and they never strapped pallets either.

What about coca cola?

This load security is an eu directive is it not

I dont strap anything, in fact most of the time i dont wind the legs up, use the ABS lead or bother with a clip on the fifth wheel.

Whats the worst that can happen… :smiley: :smiley:

I use anti-gravity straps. :smiley:

What happened to good old fashioned Corner Boards or are they never used now. Eddie.

lilysgranpa:
I dont strap anything, in fact most of the time i dont wind the legs up, use the ABS lead or bother with a clip on the fifth wheel.

That’s nothing, I don’t even bother with air lines, just shove the shunt button and good to go!

Seriously though, if I want my load strapping, it will be strapped. Some of the old school occasionally give it “just go steady and it will never move”, but if I want to take 10 minutes extra strapping/securing I will.

can anyone tell me how to securely strap tins of food out of heinz to VOSA recommendations?
the main thing you need to know before answering is they don’t shrink wrap anything.
I use the 26 internals but realistically they hold sweet f@#k all.

Conor:

Muckaway:
0And do VOSA have powers to “come aboard” and check? We’re advised not to let any non-employees in the curtainsider, partly h&s and partly hygene reasons. I have larger pallets shrink wrapped which holds them tight, but I only ever strap the large wheatfeed bags like those shown in the pic.

Yes they do have the power to inspect the load. You can refuse and they’ll just issue an immediate prohibition.

Are you sure they have the power to inspect a load Conor ? I don’t believe they do ‘unless’ they have evidence its insecure in the first place i.e bulging through a curtain. Its my presumption that VOSA do not have any power at all to inspect or search inside a vehicle to see its cargo. I’m also under the impression that VOSA’s remit is to test and inspect vehicles, plating certs, weights and drivers hours. At least thats what the legislation says. The rest of the gumf from VOSA that says…making roads and loads safer etc…just creates an assumption they are able to inspect anything at all on a lorry. They’re not. They have no powers of search at all. I can prove this. Can you demonstrate where they have powers of load inspection?
I’m at a loss to think how they could possibly issue a prohibition because you refuse to open your trailer for them? Straps and restraints are not testable items.
Also i don’t know of a supermarket chain that delivers its goods in a lorry that would conform to the VOSA load inspection matrix. You like that and see what they did there ? VOSA load inspecion matrix…so you assume because they publish it they can do it. Anyway not to get side tracked, supermarkets. Mostly they strap trolleys or pallets every three rows across, this is well documented. None of them are fastened downwards to the floor. You’ll not see a supermarket lorry getting nailed for load security in a spot check. I’ve no idea why. Are we running two types of loading laws, i.e everyone has to have the load secured to the bed individually pallet by pallet and some others can just secure every nine pallets(or cages) ?
Anyway, whats the prohibition for if you don’t open thetrailer doors? And trailer doors are not a testable item either!!!

lizard:
can anyone tell me how to securely strap tins of food out of heinz to VOSA recommendations?
the main thing you need to know before answering is they don’t shrink wrap anything.

Ive brought this up on here a few times, these companies need put proper corner protectors on the whole length of the pallet then shrink wrap them to the whole pallet then you could strap it down properly. Ive had loaded trailers with similar products on from germany and this is how they do it so it can be done!

And if your strapping ten rows for example it takes at most 10mins longer if your strap at the same time as being loaded.

lizard:

Heinz is a Wincanton site ? They usually have all the 'I’s dotted and 'T’s crossed. You really need to ask for a risk assesment and method statement of their loading plan. There is a get out clause to VOSA’s load matrix, whereby you do not need to meet the requirements for other hauliers. …that is when a sufficient risk assesment and method statement has been done.

lizard:

This is where the corner boards came in handy being the length o the pallet the strap in the middle and the whole top row was firmly held. Eddie,

lizard:

You will need 57 kinds of straps

I tend to strap anything that’s over 500kgs,mostly using internals.
Paper reels get the full ratchet treatment always.

However, we used to collect out of Gypsum at Six Hills. No shrinkwrapping and those plaster bags
wouldn’t stay put with either ratchets or internals,we all know that.
The DHL people stopped me from using even internals [i was doing that for ‘show-Vosa’ you’ve tried] as they said it would damage the bags.

I wonder what vosa says about those things?