Stralis XP HiWay

Sounds like you’ve made a good decision. The Mercs look good, our neighbour runs new ones on lease and can’t fault the deal or the backup.

Fond of mercs myself but in Ireland for example it costs 2k to go from a 450-510hp. There’s a 530 12 litre now too. A little money gets a lot more power which is the only thing mercs really lack

ellies dad:
Fond of mercs myself but in Ireland for example it costs 2k to go from a 450-510hp. There’s a 530 12 litre now too. A little money gets a lot more power which is the only thing mercs really lack

The 2545 isn’t exactly lacking in poke, more than enough for the job I will be doing.

mr.scruff:
Sounds like you’ve made a good decision. The Mercs look good, our neighbour runs new ones on lease and can’t fault the deal or the backup.

The backup is a large part of the decision. Renault are not there yet with dealer support and are very postcode dependent. The Iveco dealer have been let down by their sales department and the Volvo dealer in Rotherham is a joke.

I broke down in a Volvo maintained by them a coupe of weeks ago and because they had a meeting at the time I broke down, it was over three hours before they even contacted the dealer local to the breakdown to come out and take a look. Back in December I had a blowout on an FM which took out some air lines in the O/S/F wheel arch. It took the local dealer four days to get the vehicle back on the road. I asked for a quote from them because you do have to check these things out, but the sales department was almost as inefficient as the service department and they were only £6 a week cheaper than the Merc, which I have yet to find fault with either in the truck or the dealer network.

SouthEastCashew:

JSingh:
Was there a massive difference in the price? They do say you get what you pay. I don’t run Iveco’s but my dad had one he got really cheap about 5 years ago and it was never ending trouble, you can’t have a motor down losing work but then again I know people who run a fleet of just Iveco’s but my gut says stick to what you know a lease is a fairly long time and you want a reliable truck behind you my guy is always getting anywhere between 10-12 mpg on my Actros

Clipper run with just Ivecos don’t they… all brand spankin new motors as well.

IIRC, Clipper own Northern Commercials :wink:

I was looking at putting a truck on the road and even got as far as getting the o licence but a change in circumstances has made me change my mind.
I looked at iveco and the lease deal on the face of it looked very cheap. However there was no r&m on year three which I thought could prove to be expensive

kr79:
I was looking at putting a truck on the road and even got as far as getting the o licence but a change in circumstances has made me change my mind.
I looked at iveco and the lease deal on the face of it looked very cheap. However there was no r&m on year three which I thought could prove to be expensive

R&M?..

Stanley Mitchell:

SouthEastCashew:

JSingh:
Was there a massive difference in the price? They do say you get what you pay. I don’t run Iveco’s but my dad had one he got really cheap about 5 years ago and it was never ending trouble, you can’t have a motor down losing work but then again I know people who run a fleet of just Iveco’s but my gut says stick to what you know a lease is a fairly long time and you want a reliable truck behind you my guy is always getting anywhere between 10-12 mpg on my Actros

Clipper run with just Ivecos don’t they… all brand spankin new motors as well.

IIRC, Clipper own Northern Commercials :wink:

Wow didn’t know that lol!!

SouthEastCashew:

kr79:

R&M?..

Repair and maintenance contract

kr79:

Yeah, I wouldn’t fancy taking that punt either. Just rechecked the quote that Sherwoods sent me and about the only thing they did get right was that they put a full 36 months maintenance on it.

One of these is on demo, it is a 67 plate 6x2 510bhp, and all singing, all dancing with the whistles which apparently keep going off and annoying the driver. So far since I am normally bathed in grease and oil, I haven’t done more than peer through the open door from ground level - so not much to see up top. Underneath it appears to have gone back to the gaiter type slider pin boots on the brake calipers which split and let in dirt and water. The thing turned up with a fixed fifth wheel, so had to go staight back to have it moved, because it wouldn’t turn when coupled up without the run up ramps getting wedged in the trailer neck. So far the very rough fuel consumption figures after only a week are let’s just say more than a little disappointing. I would say simply diabolical, but I am going on others’ information. On local work with limited M’way, but much A road, congested town and country lane running at SIX to SEVEN tonne payload, it is using over 45% more fuel (and I have rounded that down) than the Euro III XE engine powered 4x2 DAF CF 85s do on the same work.

Looks nice though.

Merc all day for me… regardless of the money. Can’t beat German engineering although some may beg to differ when it comes to trucks. Best of luck with your decision though!

SouthEastCashew:
Merc all day for me… regardless of the money. Can’t beat German engineering although some may beg to differ when it comes to trucks. Best of luck with your decision though!

Its perhaps worth remembering for what its worth that Iveco builds trucks in Germany !!!.

Sorry to ■■■■ in, but the Iveco XP is not an ‘Italian’, nor is it built in Germany.

They are built in Madrid, Spain, at the former Pegaso factory.

Been there twice

K

Don’t think McCulla will buying anymore Iveco XPs,
One was involved in an accident and the price to fix was eyewatering to say the least!!!

The older ones they bought outright cheap after the contract-hire period are killing them with niggly repairs/time off road etc.

Think new 3yrs max under full R&M then send down the road best option!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:

Peter Smythe:
I run a 14 plate on driver training. Top spec fully loaded 480 previously used by Iveco for shows. Had a king pin at 15k kms (unbelievable!) but no other problems. Beautiful fully loaded truck that I’d be happy to live in a week at a time.

Aware my use is far from typical - but it’s still a good truck!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Good to know Peter, thanks. How far from typical was your use?

JSingh:

Actros Bigspace = 429 per week with Microwave and Fridge.

Renault Range T = 380 per week, same spec.

Stralis XP HiWay - 309 per week, no microwave.

Big saving. Its 11k over the life of the agreement vs the Renault.

New Renault T Range.Flat floor,fully loaded.150,000k allowance-425 per week.