Stobrats drivers want union recognition

robroy:
Ok, we’ll compromise on ‘Not the best, but best of a bad bunch’.
What annoys me about them is the way they consider themselves a cut above, where as in reality they are much the same as any other modern up their own arses type firm.
If they were as good to work for as they make out, it would be a nobody leaves/dead man’s shoes scenario…it aint!

No argument with any of that.
They seem very good at publicity/image/public-awareness B.S. stuff. The actual nutsnbolts stuff, especially affecting drivers doesnt seem nearly so important to them. Typical of most big "number not name" outfits maybe. Not the place for old dinosaurs used to smaller firms like me, (and young dinosaurs like you!), but its the way the world is going.

“We workers want to stop defrauding the inland revenue, and want the same wage PAYE as everyone else gets without quibble”.
“Why should part of our below-going-rate pay be made up of dodgy-looking tax plays?”
“No one here gets paid the headline £38k for Eurotramping - unless they exceed hours in doing so!”
“Contrary to popular belief, no Eddie Spotters are tipping as as we drive past. So kindly STOP including “tips” as part of our wages please!”

It’s all smoke and mirrors with companies like Stobrats. Now if people who were interested in working for such an outfit would just ask themselves why they made things so difficult to understand they’d probably look elsewhere.

Stobart isn’t really for experienced drivers to join, they are geared up to attract new entrants more than anything. They tempt them in with giving them the experience, uniform, decent kit etc. They are not too bad to work for and certainly not the worst to work for either. People knock them for no reason other than what they have heard through the grapevine. I have worked for them and in all honesty, I found them ok but just not my type of work. I would recommend any new driver to do a couple of years there. Then decide to stay or go.

UKtramp:
Stobart isn’t really for experienced drivers to join, they are geared up to attract new entrants more than anything. They tempt them in with giving them the experience, uniform, decent kit etc. They are not too bad to work for and certainly not the worst to work for either. People knock them for no reason other than what they have heard through the grapevine. I have worked for them and in all honesty, I found them ok but just not my type of work. I would recommend any new driver to do a couple of years there. Then decide to stay or go.

I have a couple of mates on there who have been on long term, so they have all the bs sussed. :bulb:
They both tell me I would not last 5 minutes there, I don’t know whether to be offended or flattered. :laughing:

UKtramp:

That sums it up nicely…greenhorns only for the green machine! :unamused: I would recommend any new driver who valued his licence and sanity to give them a wide berth. I did a little bit, very little, on agency for them and I’d have them out of business tomorrow if I was a TC.

TiredAndEmotional:

UKtramp:

That sums it up nicely…greenhorns only for the green machine! :unamused: I would recommend any new driver who valued his licence and sanity to give them a wide berth. I did a little bit, very little, on agency for them and I’d have them out of business tomorrow if I was a TC.

The problem is that as one company goes another takes it’s place. If it is only the likes of these companies that will employ new drivers then the problems will never be resolved.

UKtramp:

There’s so much different work / contracts now I don’t know how some on here claim x,y,z ukt , how you compare a stobart one stop shop delivery driver with a stobart cemex drivern trunking bags of cement up scotch I don’t know , I’ve a mate who hated everything , he’s now gone on the aggregates job , bricks & block , them crane wagons , he’s in his element , never been so settled , never rang , no rush , one load , collection for next day , steady 12 hrs a day , back in yard by 14.00 latest Friday , truck doesn’t get used at w/ends , been driving for 35 yrs and he said this job will take him to retirement

Andrejs:
Stobart agency trampers can easy get 35k-40k per years .What is no bad .

No, you’re correct - it’s not bad. The secret is to be paid for all the hours you’re out on the road, rather than be paid some flat daily rate that translates into a crappy hourly rate.

No one seems to be saying much about it - but I suspect that agency class one work - is on the upward curve now. :bulb:

dozy:
There’s so much different work / contracts now I don’t know how some on here claim x,y,z ukt , how you compare a stobart one stop shop delivery driver with a stobart cemex drivern trunking bags of cement up scotch I don’t know , I’ve a mate who hated everything , he’s now gone on the aggregates job , bricks & block , them crane wagons , he’s in his element , never been so settled , never rang , no rush , one load , collection for next day , steady 12 hrs a day , back in yard by 14.00 latest Friday , truck doesn’t get used at w/ends , been driving for 35 yrs and he said this job will take him to retirement

I wouldn’t knock Stobart to work for, I am speaking of my experience with them on Tesco work, that isn’t my cup of tea, however I did see other work at Stobart which I would do, containers, cemex etc, I did not have that opportunity as all of those depots were a good distance from my base, the Tesco stuff though is not for the likes of any experienced driver although I did meet drivers who liked it and had been there for years. It is whatever suits each individual driver and if Stobart work suits, then who is anyone to say that they are crap.