Stewartby Brickworks

Buzzer:

Kempston:
An update on the chimneys, the last 4 standing were demolished yesterday according to the local news, so all 128 chimneys that were once in the Marston Vale have now all gone.

Saw that on the news this morning, landmarks gone forever, Buzzer

Yes it really is a shame Buzzer, an industry that played such an important role in our town will be gone without a trace just like W.H. Allen’s and all the other large employers. I know they call it progress etc but our town is by far worse for the loss of these really good employers. Very sad imo.

On the news this morning about the felling of the last chimneys at Stewartby apparently the housing Developers have to rebuild a single chimney as part of their planning consent because they were “listed” artefacts ! Cheers Bewick.

When I used to reload from L B C. In the 60s Iused to deliver to Brims Ltd who were then building the pill factory on the Walton Rd, Mprpeth , Also the Caharles Trevallion College on Scotswood Rd. Newcastle, & Last but not least Bellways Ltd at Chaple Park Westerhope, All hand ball loads, Larry.

One thing is nagging at me, where do all the bricks come from now? I can understand that brick clay quarries obviously eventually are exhausted, so do we now import them all, or are new quarries being opened? I carried lots of bricks in my earlier days on the road, and for a couple of years I worked for a brick merchant, brickyards were everywhere, but I would be hard pushed to think of a new one now. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
One thing is nagging at me, where do all the bricks come from now? I can understand that brick clay quarries obviously eventually are exhausted, so do we now import them all, or are new quarries being opened? I carried lots of bricks in my earlier days on the road, and for a couple of years I worked for a brick merchant, brickyards were everywhere, but I would be hard pushed to think of a new one now. Regards Kev.

An interesting thread that got me Googling. It appears that Ibstock Brick are the largest manufacturers of Bricks in the UK after several acquisitions and mergers. However it also appears the largest manufacturers are based in China so there must be a lot of imported brick used.

kevmac47:

2 detached bungalows being built opposite side of the road to me and Ridgeons have just delivered 2 six wheeler loads of bricks, the company name on the packs of bricks is VANDERSANDEN, sounds Dutch?

Kempston:

kevmac47:

2 detached bungalows being built opposite side of the road to me and Ridgeons have just delivered 2 six wheeler loads of bricks, the company name on the packs of bricks is VANDERSANDEN, sounds Dutch?

Seems a bit ironic Kempston, Dutch bricks to the former brick making area of Bedfordshire.
A bit like coal to Newcastle? Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Kempston:

kevmac47:

Seems a bit ironic Kempston, Dutch bricks to the former brick making area of Bedfordshire.
A bit like coal to Newcastle? Regards Kev.

It certainly is kev.