Steering wheel knobs

windrush:

Juddian:
Any lorry i got into that had one it was removed or the motor didn’t go anywhere.
Superb on a fork truck.

One of our lads had one on his Foden Haulmaster eight wheeler, when I drove it occasionally I found that I was forced to use it otherwise it cracked me on the wrist when steering normally! Not something I would want myself though but each to their own.

Pete.

That’s the words “knob” “cracked” and “wrist” all in one post and doesn’t have any connection to “self pleasuring” on a HGV drivers website
This deserves a special mention surely!

blue estate:
Who uses a steering wheel knob and what brand did you buy ?
P/s I’m not interested about the XYZ blah blah not legal etc

Back in the early nineties when I had a Renault wagon and drag car transporter I had one only because the steering wheel was quite thick and ■■■■■■■■■■ after an FL10 but it was great for reversing could put that drag anywhere with ease.
Just dug said item out of the garage roof as it’s no longer used

robthedog:

blue estate:

Back in the early nineties when I had a Renault wagon and drag car transporter I had one only because the steering wheel was quite thick and ■■■■■■■■■■ after an FL10 but it was great for reversing could put that drag anywhere with ease.
Just dug said item out of the garage roof as it’s no longer used

Is that worktop solid granite or laminate ? Looks a nice job that

windrush:

Juddian:
Any lorry i got into that had one it was removed or the motor didn’t go anywhere.
Superb on a fork truck.

One of our lads had one on his Foden Haulmaster eight wheeler, when I drove it occasionally I found that I was forced to use it otherwise it cracked me on the wrist when steering normally! Not something I would want myself though but each to their own.

Pete.

Exactly why i used to either get it removed, or if it wasn’t by the time i had to use the motor, removed it myself…not seen one on any of the vehicles i drive now and couldn’t see them allowing it.

Franglais:

blue estate:

If a “petrol-head” buys petrol,
who buys a knob?

Only just saw this…He he he well done Franglais, I like your style.

Would the vehicle pass its MOT with a knob on the wheel ?

Since section 30 Steering Wheel specifically states that:
“This inspection does not apply to drivers’ aid steering wheel knobs”

I would fail the vehicle at PMI under section 54 Steering

"w. (i) with a system component with an inappropriate modification. Major

(ii) a system component with an unsafe modification which has
seriously weakened the component, does not provide
sufficient clearance to other vehicle parts or renders the
steering component inoperative." Dangerous

Stating : “Inappropriate and unsafe modification which does not provide sufficient clearance for a driver’s hands.”

Quote Windrush: One of our drivers had one on his Foden Haulmaster eight wheeler, when I drove it occasionally I found that I was forced to use it otherwise it cracked me on the wrist when steering normally!

The chances are I would then be asked to remove it which would likely reveal that the wheel covering had been damaged so it would then possibly fail under section 30

As a driver the only journey the vehicle would be making is to an on-site only workshop for removal.

cav551:
Since section 30 Steering Wheel specifically states that:
“This inspection does not apply to drivers’ aid steering wheel knobs”

I would fail the vehicle at PMI under section 54 Steering

"w. (i) with a system component with an inappropriate modification. Major

(ii) a system component with an unsafe modification which has
seriously weakened the component, does not provide
sufficient clearance to other vehicle parts or renders the
steering component inoperative." Dangerous

Stating : “Inappropriate and unsafe modification which does not provide sufficient clearance for a driver’s hands.”

Do we have a wheel tapper in our midst ?

The chances are I would then be asked to remove it which would likely reveal that the wheel covering had been damaged so it would then possibly fail under section 30

As a driver the only journey the vehicle would be making is to an on-site only workshop for removal.

Do we have a wheel tapper in our midst ?

Gidders:
Would the vehicle pass its MOT with a knob on the wheel ?

We removed it for annual test but wether it would have been a fail point I have no idea?

Pete.

I’m with Juddian on this.I removed the knob from every vehicle i drove.Including the goon who had plastic hands on lolly sticks all round the windscreen as well. Any complaints about my actions fell on deaf ears.

Gidders:
I’m with Juddian on this.I removed the knob from every vehicle i drove.Including the goon who had plastic hands on lolly sticks all round the windscreen as well. Any complaints about my actions fell on deaf ears.

You drove tarmaceaters truck then did it have bullfighting spears as well

Strings of flags too ?

Gidders:
Strings of flags too ?

Think that was more of an 80s thing…they were actually compulsory in those days :smiley: , guys with flags of Turkey, Spain and Italy,.who ran to Travis Perkins every day. :unamused: :laughing:

I suppose the ‘knob’ is also an 80s throwback,.maybe that’s why I’ve kept it for nostalgia, :bulb: :smiley:
I mean, I can’t grow the ■■■■ star mullet anymore. :laughing:

Gidders:
Strings of flags too ?

The legend that he is, he had everything including a double dose of BS

Find them handy in tractor units that have jobs doing yard shunting for customers (no terberg) as the ability to spin the steering wheel faster makes the job easier. On the road, don’t care for them particularly but wouldn’t lose my [zb] like some “drivers” above if I was given a truck that had one in.

Robroy, Doccombe transport in Downton near Ringwood , all their drivers wear ties , and their customers posting online reviews all love it , for me , I’m not investing so I’m out as it looks ridiculous.
Didn’t Eddies drivers get reported for not wearing their ties as spotters dobbed them in for a free truck toy ?

Tarmaceater I remember 1 of stobarts sacked for not wearing a tie when his lorry broke down on a hot day.He took them to a tribunal and won about 20k was also offered his job back :open_mouth: it was politely declined cheers Ray

robroy:

Sidevalve:
Any vehicle apart from a fork lift truck equipped with one of these things always has two knobs.

One on the steering wheel, one in the driver’s seat.

Well seeing as I’ve said I’ve used one for years, that’ll be me then.
Would you care to share with us the basis of that well thought out intellectual and logical analysis, or did it just come from the top of your head.
I don’t wear ties, anybody who wears a tie is a knob… there ya go I’ve also thought a good un up.

:neutral_face: Ffs. :unamused: :laughing:

I should have added, “Apart from those who genuinely need one”… sorry, didn’t see your post above.

Sidevalve:

robroy:

Sidevalve:
Any vehicle apart from a fork lift truck equipped with one of these things always has two knobs.

One on the steering wheel, one in the driver’s seat.

Well seeing as I’ve said I’ve used one for years, that’ll be me then.
Would you care to share with us the basis of that well thought out intellectual and logical analysis, or did it just come from the top of your head.
I don’t wear ties, anybody who wears a tie is a knob… there ya go I’ve also thought a good un up.

:neutral_face: Ffs. :unamused: :laughing:

I should have added, “Apart from those who genuinely need one”… sorry, didn’t see your post above.

Ok no probs mate…sorry for the sarcasm :smiley:

I don’t actually ‘need’ it in real terms, it just makes life easier with my dodgy arm… but I admittedly did use it as I said, long before my arm got bad.

If Im given the keys to a truck with a knob fitted to the steering wheel Ill either remove it or refuse to drive it.
The potential for a driver getting billed by his employer for fitting a non standard item to the steering wheel and damaging it is high on modern trucks especially with all the fingertip electronics, so imagine the cost of replacing a modern truck steering wheel at the end of the lease term because of the damage caused must run into several hundred quid