Steering Wheel Attendant vs Lorry Driver

robroy:
, cut in on me after (almost :unamused: ) overtaking me :imp:

Question… What is the recognised method of telling another driver that no your not happy with them pulling in in front of you at the point they put their left indicator on?

stu675:

robroy:
, cut in on me after (almost :unamused: ) overtaking me :imp:

Question… What is the recognised method of telling another driver that no your not happy with them pulling in in front of you at the point they put their left indicator on?

Is that a genuine question, or are you being a tad facetious towards my comment here? : :smiley:
There ain’t a recognised method as such, as you probably know,.and there should not be a one anyhow …seeing as we are all supposed to be ‘professionals’ nowadays with the advent of the DCPC…aye right. :unamused:

I’ve been in this job long enough to remember the days when 99.9% of drivers just waited for a flash telling him the other driver was happy with him pulling in,.because the same 99.9% flashed you in !

It was a system that worked for generations, but along came the smart arses saying ‘I don’t NEED flashed in me’ :unamused: …newsflash MOST of us don’t NEED it,.but it prevents the one aspect of modern trucking that absolutely boils my urine, plus it’s all about empathy and courtesy, and helps those who DO need it, and prevents pricks like Mr Tynesideglass ■■■■■■■ off the likes of me,.and causing potential ■■■■ ups.
I know the flashing in debate on here is a bit over done,.but this example of ■■■■ poor driving is getting more and more common and needs to stop.
I need a lie down now :laughing:

Btw it has not passed me by that the literal and technical answer to your question is…A flash of headlamps to let him know you are there according to.Highway Code,…which compromises the age old flashing in system devised by old time drivers…sorry I did not fall into your trap. :wink: :smiley:

There was no trap, just a genuine question.

Speed limiters…

Increased the percentage chance of having your front corner torn off almost overnight.

stu675:
There was no trap, just a genuine question.

Ok mate…sorry, I thought you were trying to catch me out…just ignore me.
:smiley:

Thanks for your replies.

I am coming out as a lorry driver who feels like a steering wheel attendant due to inexperience and imposter syndrome :smiley: I want to learn to do the job right and it is such a steep learning curve, especially when you cab and yard hop, hence feeling like a SWA most of the time. It is reassuring that it is not about experience but attitude. I only ever come across SWAs on the road, never in a yard. The empathy and courtesy thing is alive and well in the yard I find, with experienced drivers being genuinely helpful without being patronizing, acknowledging that everyone has to learn, as if remembering their own steep learning curve even if it was years ago. A bit like on here actually :smiley:

When overtaking, I always employ the counting method in case I don’t get flashed in - count how long it takes for my nose to pass the whole length of the lorry, pause, then count the same number again before I even think of indicating left. I would say 7 times out of 10 I get a flash in just as I am approaching the end of my count. Those small signals of empathy really do make my day.

I was driving a lorry the other day with rolled up straps in the footwell but hook in. While I was unwinding it to get the hook out, because I didn’t want to kill the forkie when I flung it over the load, I asked another driver why anyone would do that (in case I’m doing it wrong winding it hook out) and he said “they shouldn’t, it’s dangerous”. Note to self: I really must believe in myself more. As a fellow newbie I knew straightaway that Stu’s last question was a genuine one!

^^^^^
You definitely sound like a proper driver to me with that attitude. :smiley:

the nodding donkey:

Sidevalve:

the nodding donkey:

Sidevalve:
Add to that; any dodgy or damaged straps and ratchets replaced when you get back instead of being hidden away for the next driver to find when he’s 20 miles from the yard doing a collection.

A truly professional driver would check the equipment before leaving the yard.

Must be amazing to be as perfect as you.

It is a burden, but I have to carry it.

Well at least it would be strapped down properly. Do please tell me though; would you really unwind every strap and check it, then wind it up again? I don’t think so; as usual you’re just trying for a bit of one-upmanship.

driveress:
Thanks for your replies.

I am coming out as a lorry driver who feels like a steering wheel attendant due to inexperience and imposter syndrome :smiley: I want to learn to do the job right and it is such a steep learning curve, especially when you cab and yard hop, hence feeling like a SWA most of the time. It is reassuring that it is not about experience but attitude. I only ever come across SWAs on the road, never in a yard. The empathy and courtesy thing is alive and well in the yard I find, with experienced drivers being genuinely helpful without being patronizing, acknowledging that everyone has to learn, as if remembering their own steep learning curve even if it was years ago. A bit like on here actually :smiley:

When overtaking, I always employ the counting method in case I don’t get flashed in - count how long it takes for my nose to pass the whole length of the lorry, pause, then count the same number again before I even think of indicating left. I would say 7 times out of 10 I get a flash in just as I am approaching the end of my count. Those small signals of empathy really do make my day.

I was driving a lorry the other day with rolled up straps in the footwell but hook in. While I was unwinding it to get the hook out, because I didn’t want to kill the forkie when I flung it over the load, I asked another driver why anyone would do that (in case I’m doing it wrong winding it hook out) and he said “they shouldn’t, it’s dangerous”. Note to self: I really must believe in myself more. As a fellow newbie I knew straightaway that Stu’s last question was a genuine one!

The two statements I’ve highlighted are what makes a big difference between a SWA and a Driver , nobody ever really feels like a driver - theres always more to learn , sounds to me like your doing OK “driver”