Steam Engined Lorries

Lawrence Dunbar:

Power steering? steam or hydraulic?

Steve

Ste46:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Power steering? steam or hydraulic?

Steve

Armstong :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: Regards Larry.

gingerfold:
Another selection…I have a photo of a Mann Patent Steam Waggon (made in Leeds) somewhere, but cannot find it at the moment.

Jas Bowman are still trading at Hitchin…

The Mann Patent Steam Waggon which shows its traction engine ancestry. Operated by Rankin flour millers of Rochford, Essex.

I knew that Aveling & Porter made steam rollers in Rochester, but never knew that steam lorries had been made even more locally.

gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im190 … -Ellis.jpg

robinswh:
I remember seeing a sign “steam engines water” when I was a kid on the A50 on the coalville side of glenfield island (Leicestershire) it was there until the 1970s I think.

i remember that as well!

Sentinel - Cement Marketing Co - (AW8451):

Foden - Joseph Dovey - (UU1283):

Ransomes, Sims and Jeffries - (SV9177):

Foden - Newquay Steam Beers - (TW4207):

Sentinel - Steam Haulage - (YD7509):

Sentinel - operator n/k - (SV5525):

There used to be an old Sentinel parked in the front garden of a house on the A1 just before you get to Apex corner south bound, it was there for a good few years gone now.

Ossie

This started out as a wagon, Then converted to a bus, Regards Larry.

I can remember Smith’s flour steamers from Langley Mill delivering to Elkes at Uttoxeter when I was at school and never really thought anything about it.In 1957 I went with a friend of mine Ron Reeves who drove a 6t Foden Diesel for Wooliscrofts in Uttoxeter and picking up corn from liverpool and we overtook a steamer and I thought how easy she seemed to be coping with what looked like a big load.

I think the water point sign is still there coming out of Glenfield.

How much coal did Smiths use going from langley to Uttoxeter and how long would it take the to get there.

Tony

OssieD:
There used to be an old Sentinel parked in the front garden of a house on the A1 just before you get to Apex corner south bound, it was there for a good few years gone now.

Ossie

That was a landmark for years, belonged to the landlord of the Crown pub at Cricklewood, there were more steamers and a Scammell tractor in the pub yard.
Bernard

Proper lorry driver on that shot Larry with the ■■■ on . I trust you’ve seen the error of your ways now . Dave

Sentinel - Tarmac - (BRF200):

TROOPER 8011:
(Sorry, don’t know maker) - Tarmac) - (BRF200):

Sentinel.

Pete.

Thank you. Post edited.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

rigsby:
Proper lorry driver on that shot Larry with the ■■■ on . I trust you’ve seen the error of your ways now . Dave

TROOPER 8011:
Sentinel - Tarmac - (BRF200):

Great photo “TROOPER 8011” A 1933 Reg & a classic in its heyday, There were noted for their speed IIRC Up to 50 MPH, Regards Larry,

Valley combing company, loading at Bradford goods shed 1921, photo from, National Railway Museum and SSPL, what a great photo this is, having been involved in wool haulage, you can almost smell the wool and the fumes in the shed. Les.

Lawrence Dunbar:

That lorry has had a lot of work done to it over the winter, It is due to be at Beamish this weekend.
Search Doubleboost on youtube, he has a few videos of work being done on it, and the lorry out and about.