Starting again at 64!

Tj916:
Hi Grandpa.
Yes although I could not claim any money they paid for my medical and the course as well as bus fares to and from. This was Wolverhampton agency.
Concerning your retirement visa,I don’t know wether you know but there are ‘agents’ providing them for around 15-20K baht. I have many friends using them without any problems.
Someone else has mentioned a motor home. I would consider this as there are no 500baht rooms over here.
Happy Songran.

Hi Tj
It’s all changing rapidly. Used to be you had 400K in the bank confirmed by bank letter (or proof of 40K a month income) and you got the visa. For the first time this year they wanted the bank letter and a full statement of all that year’s transactions. They’re slowly closing the loopholes and looking for proof of income and I’m living on savings. I’ll get the visa this year, but by the time I get to 66 the savings will have gone and my UK pension of about 17K a month isn’t going to be enough. The choice then is to wing it for the next couple of years, or face the inevitable and head for the lifeboats while I still have enough to be able to start again. Also, who knows what my health will be like in three years from now and so get some money earned while I’m still able to?

The money I save in two to three years will go to top up my UK pension each month in Thailand. I’ve decided I’ll be living in the Hinkley or Coventry areas (in that order) and you can pick up a room there for around £70pw. I know it sounds a cheap way of living, but for a couple of years I’d rather spend £6K on renting a room than an old transit size motorhome in winter living on a layby. I’ve just turned 64 Tj, I need four walls and a roof. I’ll do the medical myself from Doctors on wheels, but the free CPC will come in handy.

Songran is in full swing, but no sign of the rains. It’s hitting 45/50 degrees every day now and we’re all panting like soi dogs! :slight_smile: Have you got any plans on returning here?