Starting again at 64!

dieseldog999:

Grandpa:

wing-nut:
Message you got from Dvla simply means expired due to medical running out. You’re always entitled to your HGV license subject to submitting medical.

Thanks wing-nut, you’re a Godsend. Now I have to find an area of high C&E demand (if any exist), as I arrive at Heathrow homeless. I think the end of May will see me returning.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
get a job on euro work and be away for 3 or 4 weeks at a time then you wont need the trouble of a house.
( not that you will get one unless you go straight into private rent).
if you have a dual nationality passport then you may jump the queue a tad,but if your uk pink and single then you might as well buy a tent.
live and earn out of the truck,then do a travel lodge one weekend a month or whatever.
nighting out in europe and getting paid for it beats sitting in a rdc all day and going home to a scabby rental debating on whether to set your alarm for your next agency shift or just slitting your wrists in the bath.
the 1st day,the nearside mirrir will feel like its 20 feet away…by the end of your first week,itl be like your back after a 2 week holiday.

When I say I stopped driving trucks in 2008 I don’t mean I stopped driving. I’ve driven both cars and bikes extensively in Asia and still drive every day. I’m married and we own our own house in Thailand, but to all intents and purposes in the UK I’d be returning as single. The reason I’m coming back is because all throughout Asia they have a professional employment cut-off date of 60 and I need to have a job. No dual nationality, British passport and hopefully the colour will be blue soon?

Perhaps I have a different view to many about agencies. I disliked going somewhere new every night (I preferred nights), but sooner rather than later if you performed well and didn’t come back every morning with bits of truck missing and could actually find your way there and back (the early days of the E. European influx), someone would soon take you on as a core agency (regular) driver. I worked for many years for a BT RDC through an agency; around six regular routes which I soon got to know, two drops maximum – a trunking paradise.

Occasionally, I’d do Sunday day time trunking for Tesco’s or Asda (Wal-Mart); both I found good companies to work for. I’m too old to want to sleep in a truck (occasional nights out OK) and similarly to the majority of us, the ‘Knight of the road’ novelty soon wore off after the first M25 snarl up, or the air-line snapping on a tight reverse in freezing cold rainy weather! I’ve done my travelling and I’ll leave the younger ones to race on to meet those window delivery schedules.

If youre as healthy as you say you are, then no problem really. As to getting work? There shouldnt be a problem with that either. I started my last job a month shy of 65, and finished last Friday, as I decided not tohave another medical. Theres plenty of work out there, as ever you have to sort the wheat from thechaff. All the best with it anyway.

papermonkey:
If youre as healthy as you say you are, then no problem really. As to getting work? There shouldnt be a problem with that either. I started my last job a month shy of 65, and finished last Friday, as I decided not tohave another medical. Theres plenty of work out there, as ever you have to sort the wheat from thechaff. All the best with it anyway.

Thanks papermonkey. Yes really; I had a hernia operation in 2009 with no problems since and before that I’d have to go back to my youth to see a doctor that didn’t concern medical tests. Hair is going grey, I wear reading glasses to read, don’t run upstairs anymore and I’m under no illusion that my health is going to continue indefinitely, but I just seem to be one of those people that don’t get sick.

So I need my licence back, a CPC, digi card, statement from BT saying I once drove for them and a few refresher lessons. I’m looking at an online map and I’m thinking, Thurrock, Grays, Tilbury area?

I stopped driving about 15 years ago and i am 68 just now and i miss it i went to Spain and Italy and did this for over 30 years and i often think of going back to doing it to Spain .
i have a national and international cpc that i took years ago would i have to reset the tests for my cpc i had my own truck for several years and i just loved doing it i know i have to take a medical and that is £100 when i last asked about i do not know if i would ever return to doing it .
and i have loads of happy memories of when i was doing it in the good old days .

When you need your medical don’t go to a GP , go to a company that does hgv medicals . I paid £50 about a year ago to renew mine . Stupid money if you go to a gp usually !

Good luck with it .

When I had my first HGV medical my G.P. said put your money away , we hardly ever see you. Its not that world now. Your own GP will want upwards of £150.00 . Google hgv medicals and you can get it for about £50.00.They take about 15 minutes and that is you good to go. I personally think that an older person should be tested properly and if bits are falling off then we should be told that we have reached the last drop.

Thanks all that is good to know if i was ever to decide to go back to my driving

Thanks all that is good to know if i was ever to decide to go back to my driving

Grandpa:
I’m looking at an online map and I’m thinking, Thurrock, Grays, Tilbury area?

Great if you want to seem to be parked up all day because of the traffic if not the further north you go the more relaxing is the drive with decent scenery

Everyone to his own,how long are you intending to be “back in the saddle” because at 64 is it really worth starting back from “scratch” considering the cost Medicals etc etc and finding somebody to take you on.

I’m trying to think of the areas with the highest need for drivers. I’m not complaining that I need to spend a certain amount of shekels to get back on the road, but there’s a reason for it. I’m not secretive or paranoid, this is who I am in real life. John V Asia Teacher - Academia.edu

After 60 the opportunities stopped dead and with it my income. I’m now living on savings and as they decline, eventually and conforming to immigration law I’ll have to leave. The worse thing that can happen is to land at Heathrow in a few years’ time with no fixed address and a £100 in my pocket! The question now will be, ‘why did you want, or continue to want to drive trucks?’ The answer believe it or not is it pays a lot more than a statistician, or a criminological researcher, as did teaching. How long will I carry on driving for? As long as my health lasts and then I’ll re-join my wife here in Thailand in the home we own and put my feet up.

I’ve no doubt I’ll find it strange and a little difficult to get back into the swing of things, but it’s a necessary evil and hopefully one that I’ll get to like again.

I did almost exactly the same thing last year so I can give a fairly definitive answer to your initial question (although it has already been answered by others).
I passed my class 1 in 1987 and spent the next 14 years driving various wagons for various companies but joined the emergency services in 2001 'cos it was (sort of) on offer and I fancied a change. My class 1 expired (as it does) on my 45th birthday and I didn’t bother renewing as I wasn’t using it. Fast forward 17 years and an early retirement scheme was mooted so I applied and got it. To renew my class 1 I only needed to do the medical and send the forms in to DVLA. You’ll need a digital tacho card and a driver CPC also. Do yourself a favour and do the ADR course, it counts towards your DCPC and makes you so much more employable…it’s a useful and practical way to do most of the DCPC.
You’ll need the DVLA forms which I think are here: gov.uk/dvlaforms
And for your digicard, here: gov.uk/government/publicati … river-card

I’m only 53 but coming back into the transport industry has been brilliant, the best thing I’ve done for ages. Good luck and enjoy it!

edit: I had to do the full 35 hours of DCPC before I could turn a wheel, it was pretty tedious and I wish I’d done some of it as ADR

Picklehoffer:
I did almost exactly the same thing last year so I can give a fairly definitive answer to your initial question (although it has already been answered by others).
I passed my class 1 in 1987 and spent the next 14 years driving various wagons for various companies but joined the emergency services in 2001 'cos it was (sort of) on offer and I fancied a change. My class 1 expired (as it does) on my 45th birthday and I didn’t bother renewing as I wasn’t using it. Fast forward 17 years and an early retirement scheme was mooted so I applied and got it. To renew my class 1 I only needed to do the medical and send the forms in to DVLA. You’ll need a digital tacho card and a driver CPC also. Do yourself a favour and do the ADR course, it counts towards your DCPC and makes you so much more employable…it’s a useful and practical way to do most of the DCPC.
You’ll need the DVLA forms which I think are here: gov.uk/dvlaforms
And for your digicard, here: gov.uk/government/publicati … river-card

I’m only 53 but coming back into the transport industry has been brilliant, the best thing I’ve done for ages. Good luck and enjoy it!

edit: I had to do the full 35 hours of DCPC before I could turn a wheel, it was pretty tedious and I wish I’d done some of it as ADR

Thanks for the ADR tip Piclehoffer. What classes of ADR, as the whole lot would be an expensive alternative. What a little goldmine this forum is. I’ve learned so much from all the knowledgeable people here in the past few days. I’m not applying for anything yet though as I haven’t even got a UK address, but I aim to be back in the last two weeks of May. On hindsight I should have done all this a year ago, but at least I now know what to do. Now I’m considering an area to head to.

If ADR doesn’t cover full 35 hours, I would recommend DCPC which includes first aid which I found was only bit of course worth doing and gives you the confidence you need to do something when you see someone having heart attack.
Also you’ll need to brush up on drivers hours regulations and a good guide can be found here gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles

wing-nut:
If ADR doesn’t cover full 35 hours, I would recommend DCPC which includes first aid which I found was only bit of course worth doing and gives you the confidence you need to do something when you see someone having heart attack.
Also you’ll need to brush up on drivers hours regulations and a good guide can be found here gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … s-vehicles

I’ve had a quick look at ADR and there’s a comprehensive list of priced modules which when added up is expensive. I mean, practically I’m never likely to be carrying nuclear waste! So taking which ADR modules would help with doing less of the CPC? The hours regulations would be on my ‘to do’ reading list while I’m waiting for the initial licence paperwork to be completed. I can’t remember it being as complicated as this, or perhaps the EU has had all those years in between to meddle with regulations? :slight_smile:

Driving records were computerised from 1973 with a unique licence number. The first characters would be GRAND followed by his date of birth and initials.

The problem begins with Transgender and Neutral Gender drivers, they can’t distinguish between the digits 9 or 5

In that case the doctor will examine your elbow [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From your CV:
Education
10 years university education
Master of Arts degree, Criminology, Leicester University UK 1998
Bachelor of Science degree, Social Science, Open University UK 2004
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree, Sociology, Leicester University UK 1995 Core subjects: Criminal Justice System - Police studies - Public Health - Statistical analysis - Social Theory
TEFL certified, 40 hours class study and 250 hours voluntary practice, Thailand

Might be cut off at 60 in Thailand but not in UK.
Why be a trucker?
Is this thread a social experiment?

steviespain:
From your CV:
Education
10 years university education
Master of Arts degree, Criminology, Leicester University UK 1998
Bachelor of Science degree, Social Science, Open University UK 2004
Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree, Sociology, Leicester University UK 1995 Core subjects: Criminal Justice System - Police studies - Public Health - Statistical analysis - Social Theory
TEFL certified, 40 hours class study and 250 hours voluntary practice, Thailand

Might be cut off at 60 in Thailand but not in UK.
Why be a trucker?
Is this thread a social experiment?

No, definitely not a social experiment. A bit of background? I took my HGV test in 1988, started driving and a few years later got the university bug. By the time I finished I was too old to get into the professions and a Ph.D. was too expensive and so I continued driving and paid for those years by driving p/t. I continued by driving f/t and by 2005 I and millions of others could see the writing on the wall as companies began to lay off and downsize and as the recession started, I also left. I trained as a teacher in Thailand, did a bit there and moved to Inner Mongolia on a contract with an American company working for the Chinese government education system. I missed the great recession. The plan was to stay in China until my state pension kicked in and so I let my licence expire, but the company I worked for lost its government contract and so I and a few others were made redundant. Back to Thailand, living on savings with no job, no welfare and the immigration authorities breathing down my neck because I’ve no income coming in. That’s the situation I’m now in.

Now, if you can get a Local Authority in the UK to fund a 64 year old for a professional British teaching qualification (PGCE), or point me to a vacancy for a near retirement age probation officer I’m all ears, but it isn’t going to happen. I can batter your ears all day with the intricacies of English grammar, or bore you to death explaining Marxist dialectics, but in Asia at 64 that will no longer earn me a living.

My Thai wife and I own our own home here and she has a small business that gives her enough to live on for the next few years. It’s now time to move elsewhere and earn some shekels so that later I can return. It’s been an adventure and my claim to fame is that I’d be the only one here whose last Manager’s title was ‘Political Officer’ and a member of the CCP! What better suggestion than to return to the UK and take up driving again? I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth Stevie, but I’m adaptable. My strengths lie in being able to put on a shirt and tie and give a lecture to a hundred people, or putting on a Hi-Viz and driving a HGV. I’m sad to leave the home I’ve made here, but needs must and better I do it now while I’ve still got the funds to be able to get back into earning money, rather than arrive back later with no fixed address and a £100 in my pocket!

I’ve learned a lot here from the changes that have occurred since I left and my objective now is to find an area to locate to and I’m initially considering Thurrock, Grays, Tilbury as areas of high employment for drivers. Any suggestions?

If your getting a minimum pension from the UK[and maybe somwhere else,as well]why dont you consider working for 3-4 months hard then back to Thailand with you ill gotten gains for the same period then back again,for a few years.A few guys i know up here do that.They work full time plus all the extra they can in the mines driving then go away for the same period.Some people do teaching on the same sort of system.

Grandpa:
Any suggestions?

I’d start…

Looking in the ‘Golden Triangle’ of Rugby, Leicester and Nuneaton. There are so many large RDCs and logistics (hate that word) operators in that area you stand a good chance of finding something. At one time a friend of mine had his whole house full of drivers from other parts of the UK, working in Magna Park and Crick.

After that perhaps Leeds and Wakefield areas. Again, a good choice of large transport operations and pretty much on the money rate wise.

Good luck.