Starter motor vs idle time

As a matter of interest … This week it has been particularly cold here, 30 degrees below freezing. I started my truck on Sunday evening, drove to NYC and turned it off on Wednesday night when I plugged it into the mains at home to keep the engine warm, I then started it on Thursday morning and didn’t turn it off again until Friday afternoon back at home. Next week it will be running from Monday until I come home on Friday. I know my company monitor it.

Things could be better if this country got into the 21st century, cylinder preheaters have not been invented here yet :laughing: If they had they would flatten the batteries because a 24 volt system for vehicles has also not been invented :laughing:

Shhh!

It looks like he hasn’t seen it yet. :grimacing:

dieseldave:
Shhh!

He will be busy, well it is panto season you knows…

dave docwra:

dieseldave:
Shhh!

He will be busy, well it is panto season you knows…

Juddian put it perfectly.:wink:

As for stop start on modern cars look on the bright side.If you keep the clutch disengaged when stopped you get the win win of both wrecking the thrust bearing for the next owner which is a bigger job than replacing a starter and battery and ■■■■■■■ off the eco fanatics at the same time.Might as well also leave your foot on the brake to blind the driver behind waiting at the lights because you can bet that the muppet would do the same to you. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I have often wondered what a blown up engine is! Do you inflate it? Does it explode? Is there a fireball? Forget American films and tyres screeching on grass and sand [emoji14]

Wheel Nut 3:
I have often wondered what a blown up engine is! Do you inflate it? Does it explode? Is there a fireball? Forget American films and tyres screeching on grass and sand [emoji14]

We have a winner. :open_mouth: :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=RUquK_6WIjk

Here’s a link to a YouTube clip of an engine blow-up on a test bed. Looks like a thorough job.
youtube.com/watch?v=RUquK_6 … iveSOCIETY

And the engine blew up because it was on stop/start or because someone had messed with the pump or governors?

caledoniandream:
Any truck idles unnecessary easy over 1 hour in a 10 hour day .
The average truck uses 3-4 litres per hour when idling.
If the truck get used 250 days a year (most get used many more days and hours and idle a lot more)
That would be in this example and a fuel price of £ 1.20 per litre is £900,- / £1200.- per year.

Just have a look on your on-board vehicle computer to find out how many hours you idle and you would be surprised how much it is in a day / week.
Did a little trail with it in the past and only making the drivers aware dropped the idling time by 20-30%, without any problems in their work.
We replaced the starter motor and alternator every 2 year as a matter of maintenance and had very rarely start problems.

If you have a fleet of 100 trucks £ 1200 saving per truck per year adds quickly up.
And if you buy your starters and alternators in bulk with exchange you talk peanuts.
Fuel and staff are the biggest cost in haulage.

Modern trucks use between 1 and 2 litres per hour when idling.