Standard of CVs

Oh!

An example?

A woefully inaccurate one compounded by abject stereotyping

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:
Utter bilge.

Incidentally Mick…tank transporters are civvy contractors.

It was an example. It matters not what function they were performing within the military. The key point is that they are programmed to follow orders to the letter and not permitted to think for themselves, nor make any decisions or judgments as there are higher ranks to do that and nanny them. Any kind of civvy street role that involves any degree of having to think for themself, use their own judgment or make decisions is destined to end in disaster and invariably does.

As for programmed to follow orders…perhaps you meant trained?
They’re also trained in the tenets of Mission Command: simplified to your level that means the use of initiative as the situation demands-at all levels.

These civvy street roles?

Would they encompass things like Head of Security for a major chain of clothing retailers or regional heads for Health and Safety? Both held by 2 mates of mine. One finished as a WO2, the other a Staffy.

Then there’s me - a graduate. I chose to drive for a quiet life without stress.

I missed the fact the industry was full of management such as yourself.

Monkey241:
They’re also trained in the tenets of Mission Command: simplified to your level that means the use of initiative as the situation demands-at all levels.

Would they encompass things like Head of Security for a major chain of clothing retailers or regional heads for Health and Safety? Both held by 2 mates of mine. One finished as a WO2, the other a Staffy.

No. Programmed is the correct word because they are basically bots.

Use of initiative? Nope. All decisions are made by their superiors.

Yes, security and police roles are the only thing they’re good for in civvy street as those involve following orders and not having to think for themself.

I had a factory job many years ago. I was always looking for easier more efficient ways of doing the work. It was already pretty much simplified! Eventually I was told to stop as we were paid from the neck down.

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:

No. Programmed is the correct word because they are basically bots.

Use of initiative? Nope. All decisions are made by their superiors.

Yes, security and police roles are the only thing they’re good for in civvy street as those involve following orders and not having to think for themself.

Since the Security Head sets and overseas policy and your refutation doesn’t touch on H&S, I think we can safely say you’re out on that one.

But you do manage an oblique swipe at the office of Constable. Is there anyone you don’t hate?

Are you one of these bitter types that never sets foot on the field of play, preferring to heckle poorly from the side lines?

At my place we have several ex military as drivers, from several capbadges. I’m not sure how you grade proficiency but one regularly tops the microlise chart and all get the job done proficiently. They’re also generally keen to take on extra responsibility and have a basic grasp of team spirit.

As a career soldier I always enjoy someone who works from vague perception of the military training system and ethos, as opposed to commenting from direct experience of the system.

But tell me Wise One: what does Mission Command inculcate?

Why if the military are unable to think individually, do we promote and train from within?

Who exactly do we promote from these unthinking individuals?

Monkey241:
At my place we have several ex military as drivers, from several capbadges. I’m not sure how you grade proficiency but one regularly tops the microlise chart and all get the job done proficiently.

There is always the isolated case.

I’m happy for you that your ex-military colleagues are apparently doing a sterling job. Personally, if it were a choice of hiring an ex-military bod or an EE whose only work experience was picking carrots in a Lincolnshire field, I would take my chances with Tomasz.

Isolated case ?

By implication means one…there are 8 at our place.

Kinda undoes that one…

Unless you meant site…but our sister site bears similar testimony…

What particular isolated case did you mean?

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:
At my place we have several ex military as drivers, from several capbadges. I’m not sure how you grade proficiency but one regularly tops the microlise chart and all get the job done proficiently.

There is always the isolated case.

I’m happy for you that your ex-military colleagues are apparently doing a sterling job. Personally, if it were a choice of hiring an ex-military bod or an EE whose only work experience was picking carrots in a Lincolnshire field, I would take my chances with Tomasz.

Good luck with Tomasz.

With such objective decision making based on empirical evidence you can’t go wrong …

Shakespeare had it right with his ‘every man abed’ speech. You’re just too cankered to admit why you’re so bitter.

:laughing:

Mick Bracewell:
Personally, if it were a choice of hiring an ex-military bod or an EE whose only work experience was picking carrots in a Lincolnshire field, I would take my chances with Tomasz.

Yeah right that would have worked in the late 1940’s when most of the labour pool would have been demobbed conscripts.Or the 1950’s when they had to do National Service.Your options would have been limited to conchis and deserters.Some say Switzerland is a basket case because of its National Service policy. :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing:

good_friend:
Hi Folks

This is going to sound mad but, for those of you looking for work, please read your CVs before you send them out to the company you are applying to

Great post GF.

However I wonder if it would get a better appreciation in Neewbies?

Too many clever and extremely humorous responses here but most have a few miles under their belt.

However in the present era of underwhelming driver salaries as long as you can say “1 yere konteanors and 1 yere jenneral” you will probably get the attention of the bottom payers who are 90% of the market just the same as if you said I was 10 years flying space shuttles but now have my Class 1.

Mick has a point about army “graduates”.

For many is was just a ticket on the way out the door and they will wreck everything including your head.

For others they have diesel in their veins and wanted to drive everything. These are top people.

However being a bit cleancut myself some of the absolute best drivers I now know would not have gotten a second look from me when I first came across them.

Thank god I’m not an employer/recruiter as I would be crap at it because of my inbuilt biases.

Monkey241:
With such objective decision making based on empirical evidence you can’t go wrong …

My “empirical evidence” gathering has served me well thanks, and continues to do so.

Monkey241:
I passed my CE in March 17 with Stobart. I’m ex military

viewtopic.php?p=2630013#p2630013

Speaks volumes.

Monkey241:
I just got a start with DHL.

viewtopic.php?p=2630095#p2630095

The biggest nanny firm in the land with instant dismissal for not following their exact rules and orders to the letter. They LOVE ex-military for exactly those reasons.

Monkey241:
Second week with my company I clobbered a traffic sign…no damage to the sign but slightly dented the fuel tank shield.

viewtopic.php?p=2640992#p2640992

Monkey241:
twice I’ve missed signs for low bridges.

viewtopic.php?p=2690039#p2690039

Case in point. Even with DHLs level of hand-holding, nannying and babysitting you’re still managing to ■■■■ up! You wouldn’t last 5 minutes out in the wild where you’re thrown a set of keys and a list of delivery and collection addresses and it’s down to you to use your brain to get it all done. So yeah, I’ll keep using that “empirical evidence” to continue filing applications from ex-military in the round basket to give myself an easy life.

Mick Bracewell:
You wouldn’t last 5 minutes out in the wild where you’re thrown a set of keys and a list of delivery and collection addresses and it’s down to you to use your brain to get it all done.

Assuming that you want an experienced driver not a naive mug and who isn’t a yes man that would obviously depend on how long that list of addresses is.If you don’t want those keys chucked back at you and told to find an east euro or ex forces to do the job. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:

My “empirical evidence” gathering has served me well thanks, and continues to do so.

Monkey241:

Speaks volumes.

Monkey241:

The biggest nanny firm in the land with instant dismissal for not following their exact rules and orders to the letter. They LOVE ex-military for exactly those reasons.

Monkey241:
Second week with my company I clobbered a traffic sign…no damage to the sign but slightly dented the fuel tank shield.

Monkey241:

Case in point. Even with DHLs level of hand-holding, nannying and babysitting you’re still managing to [zb] up! You wouldn’t last 5 minutes out in the wild where you’re thrown a set of keys and a list of delivery and collection addresses and it’s down to you to use your brain to get it all done. So yeah, I’ll keep using that “empirical evidence” to continue filing applications from ex-military in the round basket to give myself an easy life.

Looks like Monkey got put back in his cage and owned!

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

Speaks volumes.

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

Case in point. Even with DHLs level of hand-holding, nannying and babysitting you’re still managing to [zb] up! You wouldn’t last 5 minutes out in the wild where you’re thrown a set of keys and a list of delivery and collection addresses and it’s down to you to use your brain to get it all done. So yeah, I’ll keep using that “empirical evidence” to continue filing applications from ex-military in the round basket to give myself an easy life.

Case in point?
Not really…more proof that you spend the first year after passing your test learning the job…

The traffic sign? Not even marked old lad…

I’m not sure what point you’re making…apart from what a bigot you are

LazyDriver:

Mick Bracewell:

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

Speaks volumes.

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

Monkey241:

Looks like Monkey got put back in his cage and owned!

Incidentally…your point regarding set of keys and a list of drops etc etc…

Precisely what happened during the first lock down…managed to cope with that

I’d be keen to see you deal with a major crime scene with injuries or manage a 100 investigations and 20 investigators at a time through to successful completion. .amazing what you learn in the military.

Yet your pinnacle appears to be an element of spacial awareness [emoji23]

Monkey241:
Incidentally…your point regarding set of keys and a list of drops etc etc…

Yet your pinnacle appears to be an element of spacial awareness [emoji23]

I’m still trying to get my head around the idea of a tank transporter driver’s skills ending at having to drive it like he stole it through a forest at night without lights to evade the enemy.
Which sort of defeats the object of the tank.
Let alone having to wait for written orders each and every time regarding how and when to slow the thing down and stop it.While every one knows that the tank’s own weight will hold it on the trailer there’s no need to tie it down with anything unless orders state otherwise. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

We had an ex Royal Marine driving at my old firm , he wrecked units with mysterious damage and lied about it a loose tyre hitting his truck , damaged trailer curtains pulling out of the services and finally got the boot and had a mental breakdown, threatening to kill the manager that sacked him to the point where the manager had to be smuggled out of the yard in the company van to escape the mad man .
From what my brother told me , when driving Land Rovers with no lights, they taut him to crash through the gearbox , maybe not using the clutch, I don’t know so don’t shoot the messenger .
As I said , he later went through cars that had to be written off from gearbox damage or busted clutches when driving as a civilian .

Tarmaceater:
We had an ex Royal Marine driving at my old firm , he wrecked units with mysterious damage and lied about it a loose tyre hitting his truck , damaged trailer curtains pulling out of the services and finally got the boot and had a mental breakdown, threatening to kill the manager that sacked him to the point where the manager had to be smuggled out of the yard in the company van to escape the mad man .
From what my brother told me , when driving Land Rovers with no lights, they taut him to crash through the gearbox , maybe not using the clutch, I don’t know so don’t shoot the messenger .
As I said , he later went through cars that had to be written off from gearbox damage or busted clutches when driving as a civilian .

Driving Rovers with no lights?

Sounds like convoy lighting…a tactical move…not sure where crashing through a gearbox comes into it.
Certainly not the way you’re trained to off road…

Still, these anecdotes prove nothing beyond the idea that some ex military have issues…

Note the word ‘some’…

People like Mick with his stereotyping are why we have racists thinking all black men are thieves etc.

I’ll go back to my original point…the army is drawn from society. The issues soldiers have also manifest in truckers…