Stand-out Lorry Memories For You

Well I used to get a ride in this old chain driven Scammell when I was still at school, O f course my Grandad was the driver, I enjoyed every minute of it, Regards Larry.

rigsby:
those ford hopper lorries sound as if they would have belonged to adam lythgow , they were around the high peak area a lot in the 50s and 60s . i recall them having a good few of those lorries on the lime spreading . cheers , dave

Stand-Out Lorry Memories For You,Thread

AN UNFORGETTABLE MUSIC AND LORRY MEMORY,PART TWO,PAGE 1,VALKYRIE.TruckNetUK.

Hello Rigsby…Dave :smiley: .Thanks very much for the information :smiley: .I would have replied before now,but I had a lot of problems trying to get some of my AN UNFORGETTABLE MUSIC AND LORRY MEMORY. TruckNetUK.Post photographs links to work. Anyway,all these photograph links now work :slight_smile: .

I’ve been trying to do some research on the Internet about the Adam Lythgoe Ltd company,and apparently it was a big lime spreading company with branches all over the place:Scotland,the North,Cheshire,etc,including probably Derbyshire - it is now Adam Lythgoe Estates.
There are some passing references to Adam Lythgoe on TruckNetUK,including the following photographic one :slight_smile: :-

PAST,PRESENT AND IN BETWEEN IN PICTURES Thread,TruckNetUK,Page 11,QV the 17th,18th and 19th
photographs down of Adam Lythgoe Ltd lorries and a lorry-mounted crane posted by Wheel Nut:-

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=78844&start=300

Photograph No.19 is the most interesting one of course:It shows an Adam Lythgoe Ford CMP :smiley: -

Ford F60L CMP,CMP No.13-cabbed,Limestone Hopper-bodied,4x4 Lorry,FAJ 917?,registered in the
North Riding of Yorkshire in January - April 1949.

I cannot remember seeing any names of ownership on the Ford F60L CMP,CMP No.13-cabbed 4x4 Hopper Limestone Lorries that I saw :slight_smile: .

VALKYRIE.

Wheel Nut:
I am sure I have mentioned this one before, anyway I don’t think I can get into trouble for it now. I would have been 12 or 13 and I used to go into Hull every evening with the boss of a local transport company. He worked in the Hull office during the day and his brother ran the yard. One evening for reasons I cannot remember the dock shunter had left his lorry at the office. OBT 58G a tidy little F86. Alan had come back in his car and drove a loaded F88 back into Hull and I jumped in with him.

When we arrived at the dock shed, it was very busy with a queue, Alan left me there and got a lift back round to the office, meanwhile I got tipped and he came back in the F86. I queued again with this one while he disappeared with the 88. Once again I got tipped and I knew enough from going with other drivers about POD’s etc.

One of the other drivers told me they had seen Alan in the office so the obvious thing to do was to drive back there. I had driven them round the yard often enough, was fairly accomplished at reversing and was tall enough to see out of the window. I dropped the trailer on Black Hut and walked in the office. Alan looked and laughed at me seeing the F86 stood outside. I asked him if he wanted it locking up. He passed me the notes for another trailer and told me to tip that one, he was going to get a container on.

These 3 loads were refractory bricks from Crook on Lancashire flats so they were sheeted and roped to the flats. I was able to undo the ropes that held the flat to the trailer, before the days of twist locks. All I remember as I walked out of the door was Alan shouted don’t forget the yellow line.

This was my third trailer tonight, but the first loaded one, so I was getting a bit cocky as I went up the dock road, when I came to the T junction I had slowed down enough as there was no need to stop now as the gates from the main road were locked at night. As I crossed the line there was a loud shout. I looked around and there was a dock copper on a bike :blush: I used the brakes for the first time and realised the yellow line was on, the air tap wasn’t :open_mouth: When I said there was no need to stop, that was normally the case, except when the copper was going for his tea break :blush:

Luckily he wasn’t harmed, he didn’t realise I was only 13 and I learned a fantastic lesson and never ever forgot an airtap ever again.

Those were the days and we were allowed to make our mistakes off road, todays modern driver doesn’t get this, the first time they come across a loaded lorry is after they have passed a driving test.

Good Experience. Certainly. Would it be be allowed today? Certainly Not!

Sad but true. I got my first bits of practice driving in the yard and stuff as a kid with dad. Great education probably learn more like that than on the cpc.

my stand out memory is not a good one except for the fact that i’m still here to remember it . going from buxton to leek with an s21 foden artic fully loaded , got to the royal cotage pub and started to go down the box for upper hulme hill , went to change down to high third , pressed the brakes , nothing there . i knew it was too late to bale out so i went back up the box as the revs built up and threw it out of gear when it went past 60mph . what a ride ! god knows what speed i was doing through the bottom, but it rolled all the way to the pub at the top of buxton road in leek . that load didn’t get delivered that day . as a postscript a part time driver stuffed it into an empty bus in sheffield and wrote it off , cheers , dave

sorry i didn’t spot your post valkyrie , the adam lythgo spreader would probably have been loading limestone dust from ben bennets quarry in stoney middleton , probably into s. yorkshire . sam longson , hill head quarries and beswick’s limeworks had derbyshire well covered for lime spreading . as a matter of interest long sons and beswicks ran ql and s type bedfords , and hill head ran 6x6 gmc spreader ( i learned to drive on them at 17 )cheers , dave

rigsby:
sorry i didn’t spot your post valkyrie , the adam lythgo spreader would probably have been loading limestone dust from ben bennets quarry in stoney middleton , probably into s. yorkshire . sam longson , hill head quarries and beswick’s limeworks had derbyshire well covered for lime spreading . as a matter of interest long sons and beswicks ran ql and s type bedfords , and hill head ran 6x6 gmc spreader ( i learned to drive on them at 17 )cheers , dave

Dont forget that Ballidon, Longcliffe and Sheldon Lime did a lot of spreader work as well Dave, Ballidon did a lot around Warwickshire but of course it was before my time of working there. There were still a couple of trailer spreaders on the tip when I started though.

Pete.

windrush:

rigsby:

Dont forget that Ballidon, Longcliffe and Sheldon Lime did a lot of spreader work as well Dave, Ballidon did a lot around Warwickshire but of course it was before my time of working there. There were still a couple of trailer spreaders on the tip when I started though.

Pete.

Adam Lythgoe used to spread lime down this way.I think most of them subbed to him.I found this old pic on the web.

i remember ballidon and longcliffe when i did a short stint on beswick’s spreaders . their spreaders went out with a load and then tippers ran to them and all the loads had to be shovelled onto the spreaders .i would like to get some of todays trolley dollys on that job . cheers , dave