Stacking trailers without a crane?

Wheel Nut:
Why stop at 2?

Try 5

Was going to post the same. I’ve taken a few of those to Hull Docks in my time when unaccompanied freight was more commonplace than it is now. Bobtail to shipping company yard, find stack of trailers like that all ready to go, drag to docks. Nobody ever had a crane, it was done by forklifts and loading docks for places that didn’t have enough/meaty enough forklifts.

Conor:

Wheel Nut:
Why stop at 2?

Try 5

Was going to post the same. I’ve taken a few of those to Hull Docks in my time when unaccompanied freight was more commonplace than it is now. Bobtail to shipping company yard, find stack of trailers like that all ready to go, drag to docks. Nobody ever had a crane, it was done by forklifts and loading docks for places that didn’t have enough/meaty enough forklifts.

Please enlighten us how you flip a trailer upside down using a loading dock then…

idrive:

Conor:

Wheel Nut:
Why stop at 2?

Try 5

Please enlighten us how you flip a trailer upside down using a loading dock then…

I know someone that can flip a trailer over on a flat road.

The trick to get it up on it’s wheels again, is somewhat beyond him.

Diggerlot:

scotstrucker:
if you can stack your trailers at home, why not try and find somewhere close to your loading point in the uk that either has a loading bank you could use, or a firm with a crane or hiab truck that could unstack the topped trailer for you or a couple of 3 ton fork trucks to lift the trailer whilst you pull out from under it

Yes that could certainly work. The problem is we collect from all over the country and often not the same place twice. I need to find somewhere at least with a decent loading ramp probably near Portsmouth or Newhaven for the Ferry and that had the space to park up the trailers without being in the way, whilst I trucked round the country filling them up and delivering them to the boat. Any know of such a place■■?

Can’t remember the name of the company but have you tried the man who runs bulkers out of Newhaven port bringing scrap into the port. Don’t know if he has ramps but he’s a crane or two and some heavy lift forklifts

Diggerlot:
Yes that could certainly work. The problem is we collect from all over the country and often not the same place twice. I need to find somewhere at least with a decent loading ramp probably near Portsmouth or Newhaven for the Ferry and that had the space to park up the trailers without being in the way, whilst I trucked round the country filling them up and delivering them to the boat. Any know of such a place■■?

Can you just pay to ship the empty unnaccompanied trailers over.You can then use the docks transit parking provision at both ends of the job and no need to pay anyone for use of ramps or crane.

Farm machinery sales places normally have loading ramps.

Mazzer2:

Diggerlot:

scotstrucker:
if you can stack your trailers at home, why not try and find somewhere close to your loading point in the uk that either has a loading bank you could use, or a firm with a crane or hiab truck that could unstack the topped trailer for you or a couple of 3 ton fork trucks to lift the trailer whilst you pull out from under it

Can’t remember the name of the company but have you tried the man who runs bulkers out of Newhaven port bringing scrap into the port. Don’t know if he has ramps but he’s a crane or two and some heavy lift forklifts

Yep that might be a good idea, He should have the parking space!

Could unload at any HGV workshop with column lifts but you would need a pair of strong beams to run under the chassis and rest on the lifts as if you lifted the trailer by its wheels you wouldn’t be able to drive out.

trailermag.com.au/new-traditionalists/

Time for the uk and EU to allow two 45’s to be used on legally on European roads ideal for you.

Have you got a boat yard near you ? Most boat yards have a crane stood doing little most of the time. For regular lifts you could offer so cash.

Most ports and hauliers have the facilities to lift, flip and store trailers, but even with your original idea of 2 or 3 trailers which are proper side up, a couple of small warehouse fork lift trucks should be able to lift a semi trailer while you drive out or reverse under it.

Surely in this day and age with all the H&S legislation you’d have to use 3 forklift trucks when banking trailers ?
Yes I know it’s possible to do it with two, I’ve even done it with one forklift before today but it’s not exactly safe with some of the head the balls you have to work with

One additional thought. When trailers are stacked drop the suspension down before strapping them. If the air suspension drops on the trip the straps will slacken off.

Franglais:
One additional thought. When trailers are stacked drop the suspension down before strapping them. If the air suspension drops on the trip the straps will slacken off.

Good point thanks!!

Diggerlot:

Franglais:

Good point thanks!!

and when you unstack them inflate the suspension to max to ensure the airbags fully inflated to ensure the airbags are complety filled out before loading