Speeding tolerance in Europe

Spardo:
20 metres before the de-limit sign I was doing 50. Then I gradually increased so that at the sign I was doing 59.

Can that be correct? 9 kph increase in 20 metres?
Over 100m youd go from a stop to 45kph and over 400m (quarter mile) thats 180kph… What sort of Lamborghini do you drive Spardo?
:smiley:

But to the point of the question, I don`t know what gear the gendarme use, but here
dir.indiamart.com/impcat/speed-gun.html
you can buy from a range of speed guns allegedly accurate to +/-2kph at 2000m distance. And LIDAR guns measure over a distance of about a foot as opposed to the longer distance needed by older RADAR type guns. So there is kit available to get an accurate reading almost instantly at well over a kilometre.

I hope the postie doesnt come calling on you, but wouldnt be betting on it.

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-BLINDER-H … SwHptY~j2~

Franglais:

Spardo:
20 metres before the de-limit sign I was doing 50. Then I gradually increased so that at the sign I was doing 59.

Can that be correct? 9 kph increase in 20 metres?
Over 100m youd go from a stop to 45kph and over 400m (quarter mile) thats 180kph… What sort of Lamborghini do you drive Spardo?
:smiley:

But to the point of the question, I don`t know what gear the gendarme use, but here
dir.indiamart.com/impcat/speed-gun.html
you can buy from a range of speed guns allegedly accurate to +/-2kph at 2000m distance. And LIDAR guns measure over a distance of about a foot as opposed to the longer distance needed by older RADAR type guns. So there is kit available to get an accurate reading almost instantly at well over a kilometre.

I hope the postie doesnt come calling on you, but wouldnt be betting on it.

Well I haven’t done those calculations but would say that stop to 45 requires an immense foot to the floor kickdown.

It may well be that I was under the limit before the 20 metre mark and gradually increased over a greater distance. The fact that I wasn’t accelerating to that extent is proved by the fact then when I passed the gendarme, 220 metres from the sign I was still only doing 64. I always have an eye for the diesel guage. :wink: And no, that isn’t because I saw him and lifted, I only saw him at the last second, or at least I only saw what he was at the last second. When he caught my eye I was of the opinion that he was a workman resting his folded arms on a post. Didn’t matter anyway there because I was well inside the 90.

However, I suppose the real point of my query is, not that his gun could record me at 220 metres (I’m sure it can), but can it pinpoint precisely when I passed 55 and arrived at 59 in just 10 metres. Can his gun determine precisely where the sign is?

One other point is raised. I was convinced that I was still in close convoy with the van and mixer wagon ahead of me and was very surprised when I saw the dashcam footage. They were on the bend where the gendarme was as I passed the sign, 220 metres away. Makes me wonder how reliable witness statements are in shooting or collision cases.

Ok, so looked at the dashcam again, then Streets and done some correct measurements.

In fact the van and wagon started to pull away from me about halfway through the village. So brownie points for me for not keeping up with them. :neutral_face: In the light of what happened I wish I had though, then he wouldn’t have seen me till I was well out of the limit.

My max speed in the village was 53 until I got to 45 metres from the sign where I tipped over into 56 (and therefore liable), then from the sign to your man it was 134 metres.

Looks like a fair cop guv. :smiling_imp:

Clearly Im no expert, but wouldnt the cop look at the gun and the target car, simultaneously, and squeeze the trigger when the car is close to the delimit line? Whatever speed is recorded at that point is what he is interested in? Only guesswork by me…

vortexradar.com/2017/11/police-laser/

That site shows different types of speed guns etc.

Your argument that he may have “clocked you” just outside the limit, rather than just inside, may be a valid one, but with your word or query against his, or their word? Pay up quick at cut rate, or risk contesting it at full price or worse?
Hhmmm, “You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well do ya, punk?” :smiley:

Franglais:
Clearly Im no expert, but wouldnt the cop look at the gun and the target car, simultaneously, and squeeze the trigger when the car is close to the delimit line? Whatever speed is recorded at that point is what he is interested in? Only guesswork by me…

vortexradar.com/2017/11/police-laser/

That site shows different types of speed guns etc.

Your argument that he may have “clocked you” just outside the limit, rather than just inside, may be a valid one, but with your word or query against his, or their word? Pay up quick at cut rate, or risk contesting it at full price or worse?
Hhmmm, “You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well do ya, punk?” :smiley:

In answer to your first point, depends on what he is checking for, exceeders of 50 within the limit area, doubtful, as he may well not have sight at 134 metres in a queue of vehicles. Sadly, as I now know, he would have had sight of me because I was much further behind the vehicles in front than I first thought.

If, however, he was checking for vehicles accelerating past 90 in that 134 metres, then I am ok, and one slim hope I have that that is what he was doing was that his gun was pointing directly at me in those last seconds (well into the 90 limit) when I was doing 64.

If I get an amende for exceeding 55 then I will pay within minutes, I know for a fact I am guilty of that. But if I get one for exceeding 90 closer to him I will appeal. Err, except for the fact that that frame convicts me of the 50 infraction. :blush:

On verra. :unamused:

Well, just over 4 weeks has passed since my contretemps at Campsegret, and no ticket in the post.

Of course they may be working through the backloads of fly boys down the Autoroute des Anglais, but I have never known it go beyond a fortnight before.

So, I dare to hope, and I reckon by next Friday I can treat it as dead. :smiley:

I had one through the post that took 6 months from tripping the camera to the letter arriving, Bit of a shock, didnt know I had passed a camera but the date and time was correct for me being on that stretch of road

SteveWalsh:
I had one through the post that took 6 months from tripping the camera to the letter arriving, Bit of a shock, didnt know I had passed a camera but the date and time was correct for me being on that stretch of road

Seems a long time!
Camera in the same country as your vehicle is registered?

French reg car, camera near limoge on on road from Aix sur Vienne to Airport.
Never saw the camera, and looked many times for it since and not found it

SteveWalsh:
French reg car, camera near limoge on on road from Aix sur Vienne to Airport.
Never saw the camera, and looked many times for it since and not found it

Sounds like what we call a Brigadoon moment :unamused: , but thanks for cheering me up Steve. :frowning:

I came to the conclusion that I had passed a unmarked car with a camera in, I would have been speeding so didnt contest it :frowning: Just paid up and accepted it, Still got UK licence at moment :slight_smile:

You may be lucky and not hear anything
I have had a few over the past 10 years I have been here and they usually arrived within days, 2 in 1 week in the truck last year.

I got flashed by a camera on the Lyon ring road last Thursday morning about 5 am, my fault, limit is 80ks for trucks I was doing nearer 90, I’ll just pay the fine if it turns up, not sure what the going rate is but…

Grumpy_old_trucker:
I got flashed by a camera on the Lyon ring road last Thursday morning about 5 am, my fault, limit is 80ks for trucks I was doing nearer 90, I’ll just pay the fine if it turns up, not sure what the going rate is but…

Going by CF`s post :
“silly level of enforcement and penalties like custodial sentencing and confiscation of vehicles”
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=155628
Sell the truck, and pack a toothbrush !

Not sure if this comes under the heading of ‘tolerance’ but, I was driving my Magnum between Pont de l’Arche and Rouen just before Belbeuf when I was pulled into the side by a gendarme standing there with a tripod and the ‘binoculars’.

I climbed down as requested carrying all my documents and joined him at the side of the road. He asked, in French of course, ‘do you know why I have stopped you?’ to which I replied ‘no’.

He said that I was speeding and I said that I wasn’t. He turned the bins round to show the read out with my recorded speed, 85 km/hr. ‘What’s wrong with that?’ I said, ‘the limit here is 90’.

He said that it was, in fact, 50 and, seeing me shaking my head in wonderment, suddenly had a little thought, gave me back my papers and said ‘Go. Bugger off’. So I did.

The next time, and the time after, and using Google streets after that, I searched that road for the 50 sign. There wasn’t one. The prat had set up in the wrong spot, and it slowly dawned on him as he was dealing with me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Funny thing is that in those days I didn’t realise that wagons were limited to 80, despite the sign on the back, I thought the limiter took care of that at 90. He must have been so embarrassed that he forgot to do me for 85. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

To date I never heard about my 50mph/50kph infraction near Boulogneso I figure I should be safe by now.i had the pleasure of driving at the the new "sans separateur"speed limit yesterday.Jeez.I know it is only 10kph slower but it seems like walking pace.I think it will be difficult for the truckers today and in the future caused by those strictly adhering to the limit.I never saw a keen gendarme yesterday.Only the usual cameras between Bordeaux,Poitiers,Tours and Rouen.I gave up trying to award a ■■■■ of the day award from my dashcam due to the huge number of candidates.However,I make a special mention to the old dear who drove her little citroen at 60kph through the entire length of the Somport tunnel and down the valley towards Oleron braking to 20kph for the frequent bends endearing herself to everyone in the lengthy queue following.AndrewG will know the road.

The police don’t seem to care, they just wait for the speed cameras to get you. Just don’t get caught overtaking when you shouldn’t. They don’t like that :smiley: