Speed Limits... I didn't realise

that is what i mean about not knowing what they are talking about coffee, what chance have we got? :smiling_imp:

I don’t have a copy of the magazine handy, so I haven’t read the actual article, but based on what’s been posted here…

That may be what he intended, but it’s not what he said - he basically said that if a dual carriageway is 60 mph, then the limit for trucks over 7.5t is 40 mph; that’s wrong.

My Highway Code (1998 edition) has a table for speed limits. The column headings are “built-up areas”, “elsewhere”, and “motorways”. Under “elsewhere”, there are two sub-headings - “single carriageways” and “dual carriageways”. The A38(M) is classed as a motorway, so it comes under that heading, and not the “elsewhere” category. Therefore, as far as I’m concerned, it’s motorway speed limits. It also has a 50 mph limit anyway (or it always used to); I can’t see them setting a 30mph limit for trucks.

I,ve got to say i am in agreement with conor for the first time in ages but i am sure the case is with the blue or green roadsigns so does anyone know what colour the roadsigns are on this road?.

I was always told the distinction is that blue signs means you are on a motorway.

Coffeeholic:
Shouldn’t that be 50 and not 60? :confused:

oops -should have noticed that one :blush:

jammymutt:
I,ve got to say i am in agreement with conor for the first time in ages but i am sure the case is with the blue or green roadsigns so does anyone know what colour the roadsigns are on this road?.

I was always told the distinction is that blue signs means you are on a motorway.

The signs are blue. I’ve been using it since it opened in the early 70’s. Speed limits applicable to Motorways are regardless of whether there is a central reservation or not. As Mr Flibble says, if the road is designated a Motorway, Motorway speed limits apply. The difference being that this road is subject to a blanket 50mph limit. So ALL classes of vehicles are subject to a 50 limit. (Special types and fairground convoys with a candy floss machine on the tail excepted). :laughing:

Commercial Motor printed a correction in this weeks issue ( 18 December)

it says:

Quote from Commercial Motor:
My answer to <driver’s name> question (CM, 27 November) in relation to speed limits
has elicited a number of responses, not all very flattering! This arises partly because I
did not check my answer with the statute, relying on a source which was wrong.
Secondly, as is so often the case with a short question, the nature of the road was not clear but has now been clarified.
The Hgv speed limits are as follows, Motorways, 60mph;dual carriageways when no other limit is specified, 50mph; derestricted single-carriageway roads where no other limit is specified (which I now understand is the technical definition for the A38M), 40mph.
In any case where there is a specified lowerlimit an HGV is restricted to that speed. So when a dual carriageway or motorway is restricted to, say, 50mph that limit also applies to HGV’s

which as far as I can see is correct :slight_smile: although the lawyer could have used a better example at the end because the limit for HGV’s on a dual carriageway is 50mph anyway

Dennis:

Commercial Motor:
derestricted single-carriageway roads where no other limit is specified (which I now understand is the technical definition for the A38M), 40mph.

That doesn’t seem right. The A38(M) is a motorway, albeit without a crash barrier. It does have a central reservation of sorts, although it is paved. My highway code doesn’t make any distinction between single and dual carriageway motorways, as I posted above. If they tried to fight the prosecution, they could probably get away with “lack of intent”. Of course, IANAL…

Here is a copy of an email I sent to Commercial Motor magazine last friday.

Dear Mr Christopher Over,

I am writing with regard to amended advice which you have given to a Heavy
Goods Vehicle driver who faces prosecution for driving at 47mph on the
A38(M).

Unfortunately, the amended advice which you have given is also incorrect.

In your correction, you say that the A38(M) is a “derestricted
single-carriageway road where no other limit is specified”. In fact, it is
no such thing. It is a motorway.

If it were a “derestricted single-carriageway where no other limit is
specified”, then the speed limit would be signed using the National Speed
Limit sign- a white roundel, bisected by a diagonal black stripe. In this
case, the limit for HGVs would be 40mph.

The A38(M) is signed using roundels which depict the figure “60” in black,
upon a white background, contained within a red prohibition circle, and the
speed limit for HGVs is therefore 60mph.

Would you please ensure that you correct your information as soon as is
possible in order to enable Mr Victor Clarke to take the appropriate action-
namely to plead not guilty to the charge.

Yours etc

Vince

Vince,

the last time I was on the A38(M) (admittedly a year or so ago) it was a 50 limit…

:unamused: :laughing:

This thing with speed limits amazes me. We are Professional drivers who should know what the limits are. I was flicking through a copy of Truck & Driver in a shop the other week and there was a full page article about lorry drivers being done for speeding on the A556 between the M56 & M6 because although it’s 2 lanes theres no central barrier and as such is a 40 limit for HGV.

Surely drivers should know this? Why moan about it when you get nicked?

I don’t agree with the 40 limit for HGV either, but it’s there and as such I stick to it. The amount of abuse I get off fellow ‘professionals’ because I dare to stick to the limit is just pathetic! However a 15 year driving record with a clean sheet is something I wish to continue.

John (sorry for the rant!)

I thought the same as you when I read the article, I couldn’t see what they were maoning about. :unamused: :unamused:

What do they want, signs at the side of the road that say ‘Hey Stupid, This is NOT a Dual Carriageway’

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley:

Next time I go down there, I’ll take notice of exactly where the END OF MOTORWAY signs are. I seem to remember they go most of the way into central Brum.

john_boy957:
This thing with speed limits amazes me. We are Professional drivers who should know what the limits are.!)

Obviously then, our training is insufficient.

Vince

john_boy957:
This thing with speed limits amazes me. We are Professional drivers who should know what the limits are.

So what is the limit, John?

Check the highway code page at:
highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103
Does the A38(M) come under “Motorways” or “Elsewhere - Single Carriageways”?

I think in the case of the A38(M), the situation is far from clear. I’d say that it still comes under “Motorways” - the HC clearly separates “Motorways” from all other roads.

I was flicking through a copy of Truck & Driver in a shop the other week and there was a full page article about lorry drivers being done for speeding on the A556 between the M56 & M6 because although it’s 2 lanes theres no central barrier and as such is a 40 limit for HGV.

In this case, there’s no doubt. It’s not a motorway, and it’s a single carriageway, so the limit’s 40.

I don’t disagree with you about sticking to the limit; I just think that in this case, there is a problem in knowing what the limit actually is.

Breaking a speed limit knowingly, or because you simply haven’t bothered to read the HC is one thing, but sticking to what you believe, in good faith, is the limit and still being prosecuted because the official literature is ambiguous is something quite different.

Denis F:
Quote from Commercial Motor:
In any case where there is a specified lowerlimit an HGV is restricted to that speed. So when a dual carriageway or motorway is restricted to, say, 50mph that limit also applies to HGV’s
[/quote]
Blimey, didn’t realise this was still going on! ^^ That quote was all that i was concerned with when i first read the reply, and now it’s been clarified. I read the original answer to say that if a road is subject to a speed limit below that of the national speed limit, LGV drivers have to subtract the lower limit from the national speed limit for cars, then take the difference off their own national speed limit to work out how fast they can go! ( :confused: confused?? Me too!! Read it again though, 'cos i’ve said what i wanted to say!) This was clearly wrong, and the chappie has corrected himself on that. (If that was what he was saying in the first place, which it sounded to me as if he was). So, whether the A38(M) is a motorway, dual-carriageway, single-carriageway, dirt track, cart-trail or canal my original post has been answered, so thanks to all concerned!

I try very hard to stick to the speed limits ( 7.5 tonne limits for me ) and get quite annoyed at the number of bigger trucks that tailgate me at 50 on a single carriage A road.