South West Scotland

Hello Jim
Aye brakes or lack o them was a sore point I was offtener in Transfleet getin them pulled up than I was at Curries for loads
came to a head when I refused to drive it Kenny sent me to the test station they got something like 30% them in the test station says as you came in voluntarily we cant stop you taking back on the road!!!. No problem it’s going nowhere big Mcbain lands out sod Transfleet gets Gateside garage they took it in and I got it back 2hrs later Transfleet’s finest had relined it about a year previously and fitted the four slack adjusters the wrong way so winding off was never bothered with brakes after that.
Hows things in Manitoba are you laid off for the winter yet. I met Jim McKerlie in Dfs last week he is failing a wee bit but still going about.I noticed Donald was off the bus for quite a while but spoke to him on monday he was off with Palpitations but he got the go ahead from Swansea so he is back on the go. Eddie.

some pics from grahams commercials carlisle

Some more Southwesters.

LOl,…TRANSFLEET LOL.
aye some good photos o Sanquar there eddie. hope you passed my regards onto big jim.
Im jimmy and mollys eldest boy , yup def ken you .:stuck_out_tongue: used to park wagon down where they built the new houses at old creamery (80s)where Ltl used to store stuff.
yup just finnished up till end feb …snow on ground and windchill in -20Cs today so nice to have some time off as i dont take holidays feb/march-----nov/dec.when the quarrys open doing 3000mls a wk.
jimmy.

There used to be an heavy haulage firm based in Beattock called East West, are they still in business?

Aye George they are still in Heavy Haulage but have moved up into the central belt somewhere.Eddie.

erfguy:
Some more Southwesters.

It looks like abington, with the hill in the background! apparently 9 meat lorries left the lockerbie depot every night for smithfield

Abington it is then Patbach dont know how I didny think o there I am only 15 miles from there. Eddie.

This is where Reive & Grossart have their depot these days Eddie.Cheers Leyland 600

Hello Gerald aye and I pass it fairly regularly which just makes me think the age thing is creeping in when I did’ny think of it.Eddie.

Some more from the South West.

erfguy:
Some more from the South West.

CRACKING PHOTOS, DAVIDSON HAS ALWAYS RAN A SMART FLEET, I USED TO SEE THEM REGULARLY AT LOCKERBIE MARKET WHEN I WAS GROWING UP

Another few. Eddie.

WM

CL

Some more Marchbank’s photos

WALTER MARCHBANK 13.jpg

WALTER MARCHBANK 12.jpg

WALTER MARCHBANK 23.jpg

Eddie this Albion of Carswells frae Dalbeattie was exhibited at the Scottish Motor Show in the Kelvin Hall 1957 on Penman’s stand I think. I atteneded that show with my father travelling by WSMT bus from Carlisle to Dumfries on a Guy LUF underfloor engined model then a Bristol LS underfloor to Glasgow Waterloo St. passing through your wee toon. We stayed at the YMCA hostel inBothwell St. Visited the show next day and returned the following day by the same route. I have never forgotten seeing this Albion on the stand it had a large flourecent tube light in the cab to give visitors a good view of the cab interior. I stiil have badges and brochures collected on that visit.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Aye Gerald that show did’ny last long after moving to the SECC it just lost the atmosphere plus bye then they were beginning to just display a lot o the motors in repossetion white so it just wasnt the same I only went once after the move. Eddie.

Aye I attended most Scottish shows at the Kelvin Hall but never at the SECC. The liveries and standard of paintwork at the Kelvin Hall was fantastic plus the craftsmanship of the coach built cabs, libraries mobile shops etc. I visited Earls Court a few time too which was very good and once they went to NECC the standards fell and I stopped going. I always remember a Fulton & Semple of Crosshouse Atkinson with a tartan painted traditional Atkinson wire grill radiator. Then they try to tell you there is no such thing as tartan paint. Oh yes there was !!!
Cheers Leyland 600.

My dad drove for mr clark and my uncle drove for ltl,blue band and clarks:-)