South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Anyone remember the outfit from Barry that did Middle East from around 1974, ran 1418 Mercs, painted in a dark buff colour.

Met up with one or two of them, good men

smallcoal:
Hi Andrew,quick question the green Scania wjd from coity has he changed trucks as I see A truck on containers with w j d on it is it the same one as I not seen the Scania about :smiley:

Hi Smallcoal,
I think you may mean Dai Coity? He has an MAN,The Scania is long gone.
I heard the sad news earlier that John Wynn had sadly passed away yesterday.My sincere condolences go out to his family.

Hi Andrew,
Very sad news about John Wynn, another wealth of information and memories gone, RIP.
I wonder what has hit the Scammell in a the pic above, must have been something hard as the front of those Contractors ain’t made out of tin?

pete 359:

smallcoal:
Hi Andrew,quick question the green Scania wjd from coity has he changed trucks as I see A truck on containers with w j d on it is it the same one as I not seen the Scania about :smiley:

Hi Smallcoal,
I think you may mean Dai Coity? He has an MAN,The Scania is long gone.
I heard the sad news earlier that John Wynn had sadly passed away yesterday.My sincere condolences go out to his family.

Hi Andrew,thanks for clearing that up I seen the Man Utd haven’t seen the Scania that’s why I knew you would know tell your missus nice cup cakes they were nice she could have a cake stall next year in Porthcawl truck show :smiley:

pete smith:
Hi Andrew,
Very sad news about John Wynn, another wealth of information and memories gone, RIP.
I wonder what has hit the Scammell in a the pic above, must have been something hard as the front of those Contractors ain’t made out of tin?

Sad news indeed ,another iconic figure gone. RIP.

john wynn.PNG

DEANB:

pete smith:
Hi Andrew,

Sad news indeed ,another iconic figure gone. RIP.

Hi all, Thanks for the photo Dean.A sad loss.Pete I also wondered what could have damaged that WYNNS Contractor so badly,That picture is from a job in Africa.Here are a Pacific,that John would have had so much involvement with and I gather,a real favourite of his,Diamond T.

A Red Cross parade in the 50,s on a brs motor ,they should do a parade with all nhs and key workers when this is all over :smiley:

Hi all,
Some great Cardiff Transport photos here,Courtesy of Jason Salmon.Both he and his father,Peter drove for the firm from their homes at Monmouth and Forest Of Dean,respectively…

FAB31BC3-E2ED-47EE-93AF-9D988AB97078.jpeg

pete 359:
Hi all,
Some great Cardiff Transport photos here,Courtesy of Jason Salmon.Both he and his father,Peter drove for the firm from their homes at Monmouth and Forest Of Dean,respectively…

Hi Andrew,how is Jason’s dad hope he ok tell his son I was asking about him cracking pics from him :smiley:

D76 I had when I started only for 3 days then on to d75 which was mine till I had j23 erf new

A few more CT photos…

E42B4005-4067-4924-85E1-6D05FDC572EC.jpeg

^^^^ if ever there was a cab that was made with sign writing and a stripe position in mind it was the MAN of that era :smiley:

Punchy Dan:
^^^^ if ever there was a cab that was made with sign writing and a stripe position in mind it was the MAN of that era :smiley:

Hi Dan, Yes also a great truck imo.MAN at their very best,very good reliable tools they were.Ok maybe a bit too German and a bit too functional.Though all of the ones I drove,would quite literally go on forever.MAN have gone the same way as all of the other European truck brands now and make three year throw away Euro 6 compliant rubbish.Four welsh ERF images here,sorry I’ve no idea whose they are?

A88BA981-5BB4-4538-A827-70C0B8D60097.jpeg

One good thing about ct the trucks were never of the road the fitters were good I dropped a piston on d75 at 8,00 got towed in had it back in the afternoon they never kept a truck of the road for long ,I was reading today mots been put on hold ,what about drivers due a medical how’s that going to work with no surgery’s open does it mean the drivers off the road as dvla are closed so no processing licences Nobody in government has thought of that

Hi all,
Richie Gibbons From Newport,recently emailed me a few images of some of the hundreds of trucks that he has operated over many years in South Wales…

6AA20BA0-B08E-4420-ACEA-E5ED41BDC194.jpeg

C31C2268-B10E-4CB8-AF8B-1072E866ADAE.jpeg

Hi Andrew the bottom 2 E series look the business cheers Dan

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,
Thanks they were a very good truck,in a different,Better time imo.Here we have a few more…

1. D.J.Thomas DAF 95 on Jubilee Way.
  2. Ergo’s in Pontlliw.
  3. Clodes Shipping 290 F88.
  4. Glyn S. John Transcon.
  5. Transcon owned by Monmouth based,P.W.Jarvis, later sold to J&M subbie,David J. Beer.
  6. 240 F88 for SteelboyF10,owned by Mike Tymms @ Brymbo Steelworks’trailer park.ok its not from South Wales,Though SBF10 loves them and Mike R.I.P. was a tremendous help to me 20 years ago,during the restoration of my own F88…

pete 359:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,
Thanks they were a very good truck,in a different,Better time imo.Here we have a few more…

2. Ergo’s in Pontlliw.
  5. Transcon owned by Monmouth based,P.W.Jarvis, later sold to J&M subbie,David J. Beer.
  6. 240 F88 for SteelboyF10,owned by Mike Tymms @ Brymbo Steelworks’trailer park.ok its not from South Wales,Though SBF10 loves them and Mike R.I.P. was a tremendous help to me 20 years ago,during the restoration of my own F88…

Hi Andrew,
That F88 of Tymm’s looks very tired, would you mind if I posted it on the Shropshire page on the other channel as there is a lad who worked for Tymms on there? Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

pete 359:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,

2. Ergo’s in Pontlliw.

Hi Andrew,
That F88 of Tymm’s looks very tired, would you mind if I posted it on the Shropshire page on the other channel as there is a lad who worked for Tymms on there? Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete,Hope you’re well mate.I can’t see us meeting up again for some time.Maybe Hereford in August? Again.Please help yourself to any images.
Regards Andrew.

pete 359:

pete smith:

pete 359:

Punchy Dan:

Hi Dan,

2. Ergo’s in Pontlliw.

Hi Andrew,

Hi Pete,Hope you’re well mate.I can’t see us meeting up again for some time.Maybe Hereford in August? Again.Please help yourself to any images.
Regards Andrew.

Morning Andrew,
Thank you for the share of the Tymms pic, I will credit it to yourself, yes hopefully Hereford will be on and will be able to view your motor, Cheer’s Pete