South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

chris143:

pete 359:
Hi all,
I found this Bedford TM shot on Facebook,I’ve no idea who took the photo.I remember the truck,very well indeed.

Hi Andrew, I had a mate living in Telford that drove
a 95 Daf for Swansea steel in oakengates colours his
Name was Mick I can’t think of his sir name for the
Life of me. Chris

Hi all,Swansea steel had two trucks based in Swansea I was only talking to Mike last year in asda he drove the Bedford I think the other one was Phil we done some work for them with lyn Morgan

pete 359:

I’ve been recovered 3 times by R T Williams, they are based on Pant Ind Est Merthyr, top lads, can I add I was broken down everytime not accidents!!

chris143:

pete 359:
Hi all,
I found this Bedford TM shot on Facebook,I’ve no idea who took the photo.I remember the truck,very well indeed.

Life of me. Chris

Seem to think these were part of the same company,

CZC00114-14.jpg

pete smith:

chris143:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Life of me. Chris

Seem to think these were part of the same company,

Hi Pete,yes they were the same company cheers John

marktaff:

pete 359:
Hi all,

Hi Andrew,
I also remember this truck very well to…not sure if it was based at Swansea because Swansea Steel as I remember we’re owned by a Midlands company and I’m sure it operated from the Midlands…I might be wrong…the Guy who would know would be Daibootsy…they were just around the corner from Geo Beer.
Regards Mark

Hi Chris,
I think your right there.I think the works was originally,many years ago, part of the larger Landore Iron works?The Swansea Steel i remember tipping at,was a fairly large drive through old brick building,almost opposite W.G.Davies’ offices.Good to hear from you mate.
Regards Andrew.

Hi all,
Crickhowell lorry park,a few of Pritchards Transport and Harry Kelly big j,s.

Hi everyone,
the Swansea steel was owned by Roger Rees. Roger grandfather was Morgan Rees who started the steel business at morriston back in the late 1890,s, morgan had a son by the same name who also joined the business.when young morgan got married he had 3 sons Edward,Roger and Glyn .when Morgan died, Edward had the big share of the business,but rogercause a stir over the will and went to court.Roger won the case. Edward had to go,so he went to Clayton works pontardulias,and started up in his grandfather,s name Norgan Rees Steel ltd,Roger rees had the grandfather,s works and started up as Swansea Steel. Roger brother inlaw was Ted Jones went into business with roger rees and called it J.R Seels Ltd.swansea steel had a place in in oakengates.in mid 90,s Swansea steel moved to the midlands.today at morriston its called Dragon Engineering run by roger sons.reguards daibootsy.

daibootsy:
Hi everyone,
the Swansea steel was owned by Roger Rees. Roger grandfather was Morgan Rees who started the steel business at morriston back in the late 1890,s, morgan had a son by the same name who also joined the business.when young morgan got married he had 3 sons Edward,Roger and Glyn .when Morgan died, Edward had the big share of the business,but rogercause a stir over the will and went to court.Roger won the case. Edward had to go,so he went to Clayton works pontardulias,and started up in his grandfather,s name Norgan Rees Steel ltd,Roger rees had the grandfather,s works and started up as Swansea Steel. Roger brother inlaw was Ted Jones went into business with roger rees and called it J.R Seels Ltd.swansea steel had a place in in oakengates.in mid 90,s Swansea steel moved to the midlands.today at morriston its called Dragon Engineering run by roger sons.reguards daibootsy.

Hello Dai,
Great to hear from you again mate,it’s been too long.I have really learnt something there Dai,i well remember tipping at Morgan Rees in Pontardulais.Though I had no idea of any of the information you’ve shared.Good luck with everything.
Here is an old yard picture of C. Jones of Ystradgynlais.
Regards Andrew.

daibootsy:
Hi everyone,

Hi Daibootsy,
I new you would shed some light on it mate… your knowledge is vast mate…still finding time to come up and see you Die.
Regards Mark

294101_120532284712012_4758342_n.jpg

marktaff:

daibootsy:
Hi everyone,

Hi Daibootsy,
I new you would shed some light on it mate… your knowledge is vast mate…still finding time to come up and see you Die.
Regards Mark

Apologies Dai. …I didn’t mean Die :smiley:

Hello Andrew I do believe it was Morgan E Rees Pontrarddulais supplied most of the West country and Dorset with allsorts of steel .

Hello,sorry left the out should have said Morgan E. Rees.Edward Rees manage to take the clayton works over and kept Clayton Steel going as well as morgan e .rees.i believe works buildings have gone.Swansea Steel had some trucks,2atky,s 3dodges,athames trader,late 80,s early90,s they had a Leyland 4 wheeler flatbed Leyland t,u 4x2,bedford tm 4x2,sed atk strato 4x2 and an fh Volvo. J.R.Steels had some scammell trunker,s. then later on mad bob, bob davies was the contractor for j.r. a pic of a dodge.

35D6B7D5-D5D5-4D26-8324-44B64165306D.jpeg

Paul John:

pete 359:

Hi all. Andrew, are RT Williams from Merthyr Tydfil? Can’t see it on the motor there, but pretty sure if they are Welshman1 Tony Baker from Rhymney works for them.
Two weekends ago, I was up in Hilton Head South Carolina with Tony’s fathers mate Ray Williams. Ray emigrated to Canada 45 years ago. They grew up on Hill Street, along with my father and his brothers. Ray worked for the BRS in Ebbw Vale and confirmed H.Morgan’s yard was the old BRS depot.
I show Ray the old photos on here, and he tells great stories of the octoupus and the antics back in the day.
Ray is 80 now, built like a brick [zb] and would pass for a 60 year old. Who said hard work will kill you? All hand ball in them days.
Ray got a job in HY-MAC and on arrival in Toronto worked for their importer.
Ray and your father, and many more have great stories to tell. Ours are lame compared to theirs.
Thank you for keeping this site going, and letting everyone share their stories. Your hard work is certainly appreciated.

Paul

Hello Paul.
I’m sure that Volvo F16 was one of the last that was before the FH 16s came on the scene and was owned by Tommy McGee of London.It came up in an auction along with a King TL65 trailer , The Volvo went to Buckingham Plant and the trailer came to South Wales. The original index was L351 EFC iirc.

pete 359:
Ok so I know it’s an ex Wincanton ERF.Though I can’t think where I know Rom River from?

Hello Andrew,
I remember when Rom River had a depot in Risca years ago and i’m sure it was on the same road up over the Railway crossing to where William Adams Quarry was,iirc But later years they relocated up the valley near Crumlin i think, Rom River were reinforced steel merchants that would bend rebar to customers specs. :laughing:

chris143:

scania81:
Ron Evans would have drove this 1 also Chris 143.
2 were a lot later sprayed up in the new colours and had the back to front gearbox .
Post more as the weeks go on .
Dai

Yes Dai he did have one of these briefly
I think surfer had it, my old man had a marathon
Then for a bit and then the red Daf
Cheers Chris

I can remember Wayne Street from Ynyshir having one of the first 111’s new

Hi all,
Another great shot,courtesy of Chris Richards.This time a W.G.Davies ERF parked at Leominster,many years ago…

pete 359:

Cracking pic of tdw,any idea where it was taken

smallcoal:

pete 359:

Cracking pic of tdw,any idea where it was taken

Hi Smallcoal,
Sorry,I meant to post.It’s a Norman Corcoran picture.He took it at Helensburgh,the Scottish missile base.
Regards Andrew.