South Wales Hauliers sixties and seventies onwards (Part 1)

Hi Andrew, joints run single axle trailers years ago what was the max they could carry I remember going to Briton ferry with Norman with a single axle Paul gee was asking me about trailer weights on his page cheers John

smallcoal:
Hi Andrew, joints run single axle trailers years ago what was the max they could carry I remember going to Briton ferry with Norman with a single axle Paul gee was asking me about trailer weights on his page cheers John

hi john,
i saw the comments between you both earlier.i do remember the trailers.i think? the weights would be the same as a 6 wheeler rigid ? three axles 24 tonnes gross?
regards andrew.

pete 359:

smallcoal:

hi john,
i saw the comments between you both earlier.i do remember the trailers.i think? the weights would be the same as a 6 wheeler rigid ? three axles 24 tonnes gross?
regards andrew.

Thanks for clarifying that I think they were used for scrap bales from pt to Briton ferry your dad may know cheers

hi all,
courtesy of Paul C.Gee:

1. D.David,blue line transport tondu.
  2. Catnic liveried 400,owned by Brooks of caerphilly?
  3. i think? a john evans of newport rigid DAF.

A00416.JPG

catnic 400.jpg

BD0020.JPG

hi all,
courtesy of Paul C.Gee:
1)Girling of pontypool ERF.
2)williams bros.F88.
3)Hoover of merthyr? Foden.

hoover merthyr.jpg

another williams 88.jpg

girling pontypool.jpg

Couple taken at Welland yesterday,

pete 359:
hi all,
courtesy of Paul C.Gee:
1)Girling of pontypool ERF.
2)williams bros.F88.
3)Hoover of merthyr? Foden.

Some cracking B&W pics, but very nostalgic, When Wales and Britain actually had a production and industry base!!

Pete, those Penllyne Fodens look nice. Are they ex Penllyne or painted up in their livery? I thought the first tractors were 6x4 ■■■■■■■ powered. A long time ago, so I may well be wrong. Credit to who ever restored them though.

Regards Paul

Paul John:
Pete, those Penllyne Fodens look nice. Are they ex Penllyne or painted up in their livery? I thought the first tractors were 6x4 ■■■■■■■ powered. A long time ago, so I may well be wrong. Credit to who ever restored them though.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,
The tractor unit is a Birmingham registration number, could be ex British Telecom and the 8 legger has a Peterborough registration, sorry I cannot be more help but they are nice looking motor’s I agree, Mr Cooper do you know?

pete 359:
hi all,
courtesy of Paul C Gee.Fowler’s from south wales?

Bobby Fowler Cardiff brother of Dai Fowler ?

Paul John:

Regards Paul

Hi Paul I seem to remember Penllyne had a few Fodens with the Gardener turbo engine were they 265 bhp ?

pete smith:

Paul John:

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,
The tractor unit is a Birmingham registration number, could be ex British Telecom and the 8 legger has a Peterborough registration, sorry I cannot be more help but they are nice looking motor’s I agree, Mr Cooper do you know?

Hi both,
Neither of those restored Foden’s were ever ran by penllyne,in fact they never had any of that model of Foden as a tractor unit.Paul is right,their first artics were 6x4 "A"registered units,after the armitage proposal became law in 1983 and the GTW for 5 axle artics increased to 38 tonnes.A friend of mine painted the Foden’s for Geoffrey smith,he was a former penllyne driver and later their transport manager.
Regards andrew.

pete 359:

pete smith:

Paul John:

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Hi both,
Neither of those restored Foden’s were ever ran by penllyne,in fact they never had any of that model of Foden as a tractor unit.Paul is right,their first artics were 6x4 "A"registered units,after the armitage proposal became law in 1983 and the GTW for 5 axle artics increased to 38 tonnes.A friend of mine painted the Foden’s for Geoffrey smith,he was a former penllyne driver and later their transport manager.
Regards andrew.

Thank you for the info Andrew, here is another pic from Welland,

pete 359:

pete smith:

Paul John:

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Hi both,
Regards andrew.

Hi all. Andrew thanks for the replies here and regarding T.S. Rees. Thanks also to John.
Ianto, I’m not sure what horsepower those Gardners were to be honest. I know the Rolls Royce/Eagle at that time was 265hp.
Pete some interesting trucks there at Welland. Thanks for sharing them.
Dai Echo and young Dai had a mention in Truck & Drivers summer edition. Seems like just yesterday, young Dai and my daughter Rhiann had drawings in the kids picture post in T&D. She is off to college next year, how time flys by!
Trouble is looking at these old trucks makes us realise our age. Oh well!

Regards Paul

Paul John:

pete 359:

pete smith:

Paul John:

Regards Paul

Hi Paul,

Hi both,
Regards andrew.

Hi all. Andrew thanks for the replies here and regarding T.S. Rees. Thanks also to John.
Ianto, I’m not sure what horsepower those Gardners were to be honest. I know the Rolls Royce/Eagle at that time was 265hp.
Pete some interesting trucks there at Welland. Thanks for sharing them.
Dai Echo and young Dai had a mention in Truck & Drivers summer edition. Seems like just yesterday, young Dai and my daughter Rhiann had drawings in the kids picture post in T&D. She is off to college next year, how time flys by!
Trouble is looking at these old trucks makes us realise our age. Oh well!

Regards Paul

THE PENLLINE TRUCKS THE TRACTOR UNIT HAS GOT A ROLLS 265 IN IT THE TIPPER HAS GOT A GARDNER IN IT

V.B.Davies.

scammell crusaderdavies.jpg

Hi all, I passed mr cooper on the m4 this evening as I was westbound he was eastbound ,Andrew that truck looked the dogs b#####cks especially when the lights came on and the air horns very smart :smiley: :smiley:

Hi all,
Thanks john.We all had a brilliant weekend at Hereford Truckshow.I thought we’d take a small gap of a day or two from the images kindly shared from the Paul C.Gee collection.Here are two of a llanelli based transcon i remember seeing many times during the 80’s…

brs1.jpg

brs2.jpg

Hi all. Andrew the Dowlais Transport Service photo is brilliant. Iirc Garth garage would of been close to the GKN works. There used to be a set of railway tracks coming from the works crossing over the main road, quite a long hill taking you from Dowlais top down to Merthyr and vice versa.
I can’t quite make out the street address, probably a Bedford.

Paul