South African ERFs

En-Tour-Age:

[zb]
anorak:
If you quote your source, you draw attention to that source. Although the book may be devalued by the quoted passages, it is free advertising for the author. It works both ways. In this example, I did not know Mr. Davies’ book existed, until Robert mentioned it. I will probably buy it at some stage but, at £27, it is not something I will purchase immediately. If I learn something from someone else’s reading, I may be more likely to buy sooner. I am not a skinflint- my collection of old lorry literature has cost me thousands of pounds over the years.

Copyright exists to add an extra cash incentive for authors to do the research necessary to make their works good enough to sell. It is not there to protect vanity. The ideal is that as much information is recorded and shared as possible. If you have information, it is your duty to pass it on, whether by publishing or sharing.

I suggest you purchase your blasting-device and continue to get the most out of asking questions over here!

The ERF-book (Dai Davies) is only some euro’s away…but a real find and no dust! On the continent you
now get UK- and US-books for a fraction!

Alexander (ex-Mack and nowadays MAN-enthousiast)

:confused: Point taken. I think.

Smart looking outfit :smiley:

IMG_NEW.jpg

1_395e4eef830604f3236a78cccde7db6e.jpg

I am sorry that it’s not a very clear photo Robert but I just managed to snap this E.R.F. as I passed it in Cape Town a few years ago.

Regards Steve.

mushroomman:
I am sorry that it’s not a very clear photo Robert but I just managed to snap this E.R.F. as I passed it in Cape Town a few years ago.

Regards Steve.

Nice old E-series in its working context, though! :smiley: Robert

This South African ERF A-series with their local body was posted elsewhere by ‘ERF’. It has a ■■■■■■■ NT 250 and Fuller RTO 9095A 'box. Robert

CU NTC250 RTO9509A A series ZA.jpg

This Botswana outfit operated 3 of these. Robert

ERF_350_BIG_CAM_118099589.jpg

yh.jpg

very interesting the report on the ERFs in South Africa a great British truck to be operating over there, when the introduction of the ADE Engine came into operation transport operators were a bit worried about the reliability of these South African Engines. I operated MAN tippers at that time with the german engines fitted, they tended to run in the South African heat at a heart stopping 90 100 degrees hard pulling over mountainous treks. I can honestly say when I fitted the equivalent ADE 407 and 407 T motors to the same vehicles the temp dropped down to 75 85 degrees max, I can accept that a hot running engine performs at Its best, but when the temp gauge gets a bit at the top end you start to worry a bit, also the cost at that time to replace a piston and sleeve kit in comparison from a german motor to an ADE was far less to write a cheque for the ADE replacement, such a pity they do not manufacture the complete ADE engine any more and that you can only buy the replacement engine spares

David Miller:
As always, Robert, interesting and well researched. I spent some time in South Africa and Kenya a couple of years ago and the transport scene in SA is very well established and obviously well organised. Not equally true in Kenya where the whole thing is much more ‘African’.
In South Africa they do run some interesting axle set-ups;

Though they have some unusual workshop practices as well;

In your photos I think that you will find that the vehicles with yellow plates, like the Liquid Air ERF are not South African (which have white number plates) but, in that case, Kenyan and in others Namibian. None the worse for that of course.
Sorry none of mine are ERFs though.

David

There was a time when they did have yellow number plates in South Africa. The “T” at the end stood for Transvaal. When they changed Transvaal to Gauteng Province they changed to white plates.

[zb]
anorak:
I would like to read Mr. Davies’ book, but can only find it for £27. Ouch. I presume that ERF SA is as defunct as its Cheshire parent?

Dai Davies promised me a copy of his book but he never did give me the book.

The book is obtainable worldwide, Springfield (as pointed by ERF-Peterborough) was another cab-manufacturer.

In general…if people did what they said and promissed, my life would be quite different, don’t depend too much

hiya all through the second world war ERF (the only truck maker aloud to make for civilian use)was selling trucks to south africa
AEC was one engine used…

in 1965 i think . ERF built 2 four wheelers (KV cabs)with TS3 engines Joe Millican run one the other slipped away and know one
can trace it.
John

sallison30:

[zb]
anorak:
I would like to read Mr. Davies’ book, but can only find it for £27. Ouch. I presume that ERF SA is as defunct as its Cheshire parent?

Dai Davies promised me a copy of his book but he never did give me the book.

Don’t ask anyone on here for information from it. You’ll end up on a charge of soliciting information subject to copyright. :laughing:

Please…buy the book or keep silent! Your presence on various threads somehow ends in terms of true
disappointments and don’t involve or judge others please. At the end of the day extra info counts not how
you feel about it, facts and figures though

@Anorak (with the blasting device since quite some months):

Number ONE on your bucket list (you have 30 days for savings) is “Lorries of Arabia: ERF NGC420” by the
meanwhile known Robert Hackford. Perhaps he will consider numbered/signed dedicated issues as well?

When you save and invest 100 euro’s every quarter, I promise you will have a tremendous library soon.

Alex