Something to be aware of

After yesterday incident with the red line, all of ours with the offending fitting on have been changed. Will put a picture up tommorow of the new fitting.

^^^^ you just wanna show off your brand new lorry with 500km on the clock! Well, that was this morning, hope you’ve actually done some work today! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ezydriver:

biggriffin:
Just had this happen while shunnting a trailer, upon looking at the red line, the problem is clear, I could also pull red line off without engaging the collar, the collar is bevelled, which allows it to slip slightly over the indent ball.

That’s exactly what happened. The collar went over that ball no matter where the collar was positioned, so I could just yank the line off. But this time it popped itself off while I was driving.

WTF.That’s supposed to be a fixed pin v a groove in the collar which has to be lined up, not a retracting/circumventable ball.
That totally defeats the object of it being there. :confused: :open_mouth:

hgvdirect.co.uk/female-c-cou … 00555.html

the maoster:
^^^^ you just wanna show off your brand new lorry with 500km on the clock! Well, that was this morning, hope you’ve actually done some work today! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m not going to bite…I ain’t no Tang :smiley:

It was nice to see you this morning,and the offer of Coffee was gracious…

Carryfast:

ezydriver:

biggriffin:
Just had this happen while shunnting a trailer, upon looking at the red line, the problem is clear, I could also pull red line off without engaging the collar, the collar is bevelled, which allows it to slip slightly over the indent ball.

That’s exactly what happened. The collar went over that ball no matter where the collar was positioned, so I could just yank the line off. But this time it popped itself off while I was driving.

WTF.That’s supposed to be a fixed pin v a groove in the collar which has to be lined up, not a retracting/circumventable ball.

There’s tons of them like that. The one on our DAF looks exactly like that and it won’t come off with any amount of tugging. They work fine so long as the connector, sleeve and ball bearings are kept lubricated. The notch is out of sight in that pic.

You’re doing that google thing again acting as an expert when you have zero actual experience.

Mick Bracewell:
There’s tons of them like that. The one on our DAF looks exactly like that and it won’t come off with any amount of tugging. They work fine so long as the connector, sleeve and ball bearings are kept lubricated. The notch is out of sight in that pic.

That’s interesting because I remember the collar feeling almost stuck, as if it needed a good squirt of WD40. If I had lubricated the collar, are you saying it would not have popped off?

I’ve had loads of stiff ones (no pun intended) over the years, but never had a lead randomly pop off.

Wd-40 on the fitting with the bevelled college,would have made the situation worse. The fact the collar can move part way over the indent ball gives enough movement on the indent balls to come off the trailer ■■■■■■… If the collar was square machined they isn’t a problem…

Get some silicone spray grease stuff. I carry a tin and use it for most lubrication requirements :open_mouth:

But a squirt inside the sleeve and working it in keeps things tip top, means it doesn’t have to be forced in any way so keep all parts working correctly for longer

toonsy:
Get some silicone spray grease stuff. I carry a tin and use it for most lubrication requirements :open_mouth:

But a shirt inside the sleeve and working it in keeps things tip top, means it doesn’t have to be forced in any way so keep all parts working correctly for longer

Ooooh matron :laughing:

Suedehead:

toonsy:

But a shirt inside the sleeve and working it in keeps things tip top, means it doesn’t have to be forced in any way so keep all parts working correctly for longer

Ooooh matron :laughing:

When I was typing it I was trying to de-■■■■ it a bit :laughing:

Mick Bracewell:

Carryfast:

ezydriver:

biggriffin:

You’re doing that google thing again acting as an expert when you have zero actual experience.

You seem to be having some reading issues.You know complicated words like ‘bevelled’ ‘slip’ ‘over’ ‘ball’.What bleedin ball it shouldn’t be a ball it should be a pin v the straight edge of the collar except the cut out groove.
I actually referred to the importance of lubrication before you did.No need for google.
Also how did I know exactly what I was looking for in that regard.
I was battling with recalcitrant C couplings, especially fitted to drawbars at road level, before the internet existed.
The problem in the case shown is obviously management types who’d like to think they know about the oily metal bits but who know zb all and ordering dodgy junk to be fitted to their wagons as a result.
As stated you can add suits wanting to use C couplings instead of palm couplings to that.

biggriffin:
Wd-40 on the fitting with the bevelled college,would have made the situation worse. The fact the collar can move part way over the indent ball gives enough movement on the indent balls to come off the trailer ■■■■■■… If the collar was square machined they isn’t a problem…

It should be a square edged collar v a straight pin with a groove like the pic I posted which has to be lined up to couple and uncouple it.You turn the collar after its coupled to lock it.No ifs no buts.
I’ve never seen that type with an indent bearing not a pin let alone putting that against a bevelled collar. :confused: