Some Old Seddon's

lespullan:

That top one was Tom Cooper’s - I bought a unit from him once - I would love that Seddon - my dad used to drive one like that for Marwin Transport (Brit European/ Carman’s)

Seddon Mark 12 eight tonner passing through the village of Delph in Saddleworth while on road test trials in 1953

Bewick:

Frankydobo:
Looking through the past posts on this thread Gingerfold asked if Seddon Diesel were the first to offer the ■■■■■■■ engine in heavy commercials. There was no sure answer given but a Peter Davies book I have states in 1958 the newly released SD8 and DD8 eight wheelers had a choice of Gardner 6LW, 6LX or the ■■■■■■■ HF6, one of the first ■■■■■■■ installations in a UK heavy truck (possibly with ERF too) along with the Seddon Sirdar from the same year having a ■■■■■■■ 198bhp NH.B.6. Cheers Franky.

The SD4 of Graham Adams, ■■■■■■■ powered, was photographed in 1958 transporting Donald Campbell’s world land speed record breaking car, Bluebird.

Mr Dunbar will be able to tell us the date when this eight wheeler was registered.

moomooland:
0 Seddon Mark 12 eight tonner passing through the village of Delph in Saddleworth while on road test trials in 1953

I only once came across one of these bonneted type Seddons , it was when I worked as an apprentice mechanic with the ERF dealer in Edinburgh ( James Bowen & Sons ) who had taken one in part exchange from Mitchell of Alness or it may have been Wm Nicoll of Kintore for an ERF . I recall it having a high sided body to run loads of lime from NE England to rural parts of Scotland . It was a well built motor and I suspect fitted with a Perkins engine , it was left hand drive like the one in the photograph and was for export , the one in Edinburgh had no doubt found its way onto the home market at a good price .!!

Bewick:

First truck I drove was a 32 four on an F reg

A nice looking Seddon 8 Wheeler pic from Dennis, I wonder how these stood up to the main multi wheeler manufacturers, as it seems Seddon’s run of Eight Leggers didn’t last long. This one was registered in Glasgow from Feb to May 1959 Graham. Cheers Franky.

KSS-001.JPG

Nice motor TCH, its been through a few different owners in its time but still looking good.

Seddon UR-001.JPGHere’s a rare beast a 1971 registered Seddon 32-4 now in Uruguay and powered by a Scania engine.

678.jpg

Frankydobo:
A nice looking Seddon 8 Wheeler pic from Dennis, I wonder how these stood up to the main multi wheeler manufacturers, as it seems Seddon’s run of Eight Leggers didn’t last long. This one was registered in Glasgow from Feb to May 1959 Graham. Cheers Franky.

Thanks for dating the eight-wheeler. Seddon built eight-wheelers for about 7 years, and they were well regarded having, power assisted steering as standard, for example when the other builders had it as an optional extra.

moomooland:

That shot was taken at the Three Sisters café at Markyate on the A5 one summer night in 1969. The Seddon was one of three waggon and trailer outfits that Athersmiths ran, the other two being a LAD 680 Octopus and an Atkinson. They did run a Leyland Steer for a while but they knocked that off about this time. The Seddon was Gardner 150 LX powered and the driver was Bill Birkby who carried on working for Bradys when they were taken over and working nights trunking to West Brom and back with an “Athersmith” liveried 8LXB Atki and later on an Athersmith liveried F88. The Seddon and trailer were loaded with Pulp from Northfleet for the new Bowater Scott mill at Barrow IIRC. Cheers Bewick.

The DD8 and trailer must have been reaching retirement on that sort of distance work by summer 1969. How much would that have grossed out at with that load of pulp?

The Seddon eight-wheelers also had 4 axle braking as standard IIRC whereas it was an optional extra to have brakes on the second steering axle on much more numerous contemporary Leyland Octopus, AEC Mammoth Major, Foden, ERF, and Atkinson eight-leggers.

gingerfold:
The Seddon eight-wheelers also had 4 axle braking as standard IIRC whereas it was an optional extra to have brakes on the second steering axle on much more numerous contemporary Leyland Octopus, AEC Mammoth Major, Foden, ERF, and Atkinson eight-leggers.

Looks like you just stick a brick under the back wheel. Les.

Belt and braces comes to mind :open_mouth: I believe that this Seddon was a BRS tanker on hire to BSC.