Some Old Seddon's

lespullan:

kingswinford kit:
Hi has anybody have pics of Metal Box Worcester Seddons ? regards Keith .

Don’t know if its Worcester ?, Les.

Hi , Les and moomooland ,thanks chaps fond memories of Worcester based Seddons plying down to Metal box at Neath , regards Keith .

J W Richards a year or two ago.
Oily

One of Les (wakey) Wilson photos

A small selection of Seddon Diesel tractor units, a Mk 5, Mk 8 and a 24:4:6LW used when the old ‘Mark’ numbering system was changed although the cab on the 24:4:6LW was known as the Mk 2, considering the short time Seddon Motors was in production they produced quite a number of different types and chassis specs and with the competitive pricing must have proved a temptation for many customers. Along side the Mk 8 is a Perkins engine likely a R6 at this stage from which the 6.354 was developed, like other fixed cab motors of the period engine removal and refitting was sometimes through the doorway although its not clear if this engine has. Cheers Franky.

Here’s a Seddon with a difference. Franky.

Seddon.jpg

This nice little Sneddon was bought with the single axle tanker
to access tight deliveries of red diesel for heating etc.
On contract to John Hudson (London) based in Leith

A nice four-wheeler with some “arty” sign writing.

7846ef0e6e4667e3b5fc2a12b0abb99c.jpg

Thanks to Len Rogers for this trio.
Oily

image.jpg

Athersmith Brothers used to run out of what is now the Shell Garage on Abbey Road in Barrow. Shell is a good description, the Art Deco facade of the old garage is long gone!

I think Leyland 680 will remember better than me, but in about 1958, Athersmith’s bought 2 brand new Seddons, REL 207 and REL 208, eight wheelers iirc (anyone got an old AA book, where was EL?).

I’m pretty sure the cabs looked like this one, posted by Lespullan. They look old fashioned now, but as a ten year old I thought that they looked the d’s bs!

John.

[I think Leyland 680 will remember better than me, but in about 1958, Athersmith’s bought 2 brand new Seddons, **REL 207 and REL 208, eight wheelers iirc (anyone got an old AA book, where was EL?).]**

EL - Bournemouth

TROOPER 8011:
[I think Leyland 680 will remember better than me, but in about 1958, Athersmith’s bought 2 brand new Seddons, **REL 207 and REL 208, eight wheelers iirc (anyone got an old AA book, where was EL?).]**

EL - Bournemouth

Thanks Trooper. How odd that these Seddons were registered over 300 miles away!

John.

They would have been registered sometime between February and June 1955 having REL reg’s and as stated allocated to the Bournemouth (B) area. This throws up a problem as the SD (single drive) or DD8’s (double drive) if they were 8 Wheelers were not produced until 1958 and this stopped by 1964 so only a short six year run. Maybe they were allocated older unused registrations hence the mileage distance in operating area and registration area, it does seem strange though. The Seddon Diesel in the pic above with the cab as shown was a Mk15/10, the 8 and 6 Wheelers also had this cab. Seddon around the mid 50’s to the 60’s produced many models with different styles of cab and rather confusing numbering. Franky.

Thanks Franky.

I’m too old to remember exactly when I saw them. They would have been, I think, on Athersmith’s contract with Barrow Paper Mill, long since defunct, whether on contract A licences or full A licences I couldn’t say, but the mill had plenty of outbound traffic to places south and the return loads would be some sort of clay used in paper making from Devon or Cornwall.

Bill Athersmith used to enjoy a yearly cruise, so I was told, and related to someone that he didn’t need huge profits from each individual wagon, ten pounds per week was sufficient. Tales from yesteryear!

John.

Cheers John just done a quick edit to my original post as I spotted the irregularity in dates, sometimes unusual things did happen when it came to registering vehicles. Franky.

A Seddon ugly duckling! robert

t58.jpg

Seddon Sheffield 1-001.jpg

robert1952:

That looks very like an early DAF cab .?

Thanks to Dave Fawcett for this pic.
Oily

shugg:

robert1952:

That looks very like an early DAF cab .?

Can’t argue with that