Snow.

Sky Captain:
Wonder Snow Wall .

Champagne snowpernova.

Sky Captain:
A manual gearbox would have got up there or an Eaton Twin splitter will sort the wheat from the chaff in driver competency without Jack knifing an artic using an automatic gearbox.

Did you know gritter lorries use automatic gearboxes? And the bus in this video most definitely was an automatic:

youtube.com/watch?v=4Pcdg9m7Dao

eagerbeaver:

Sky Captain:
Wonder Snow Wall .

Champagne snowpernova.

:grimacing:

Snoasis

Did Grita Thunberg drive the gritter ? But the bus had to get up because Doris had to check her lottery ticket and ran out of cat food, if he didn’t make it , life wouldn’t be worth living. :smiley:
Joking aside, I didn’t know gritters were automatic.

I shunted on…

Nights for WH Malcolm, loading glass onto curtainsiders at Barnsley glass. Loading in double stacks, every other row was double dolly tied and I could load 9 on a good night. Malcolm’s fleet was as good as 50/50 when it came to transmision. Half the fleet had 3 pedals, the other half had two.
For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of Barnsley Glass (or whatever it’s called now) it’s a fair way up the hill and consequently in winter it’s colder than a polar bears pyjamas. During the winter months, the site used to freeze up almost solid. Most of the roads around the site became slippery and in some places downright treacharous. To get from the bottom yard to the top and exit via the weighbridge, there was a steep but short incline. Despite the occaisional bag of salt being flung about, this little slope became an articulated lorry’s worst nightmare. Very few drivers got up it without any drama. Most floundered halfway up, gently weaving to the left and right and then inevitably slipping back down to the level gorund. The trucks with the biggest problems were always the manuals. The last thing you should be doing when traction is at a premium, is drop the clutch or slip it. The auto’s (once I switched off all the traction assist toys for the drivers who didn’t know what those buttons were for and put the diff-locks in) 8 times out of 10 flew up and out.

The manual gearboxes and their drivers took the longest amount of time to get away.

Snow Patrol .

I have also found the winter tires helps a lot. The bus in the video above, that company normally puts winter tires on apparently in November through to March, or whenever the temperature is above 8° consistently.

Most haulage companies don’t, due to excessive tire wear and cost. I discovered a few days ago that a few of our manual rigid 18 tonners have winter tires.

The artics don’t but of the 40 artics in the yard only about 6 have working night heaters.

Sky Captain:
Hutpik , I think the climate crisis is not due to human interference and pollution and would have occurred naturally without human activity, but there is big money to made on reducing pollution.

Not really a crisis .Its Winter ,higher elevations get snow at this time of year. The Thames used to freeze over, and in Summer parts of it dry up.

Gidders:
My Norwegian,Swedish and Finnish neighbours in Spain think it’s hilarious that we Brits can’t cope with half an inch of snow,particularly if it’s the wrong kind.
I can’t believe how much our national character has changed over the last 40 - 50 years.Stoicism and steely determination?Long gone.

Except it’s not half an inch of snow, on the top of the A66 it was feet deep and it wasn’t the snow itself that was the issue rather than the winds gusting up to 80MPH and blowing the snow across the road. Even in Norway, Sweden and Finland if you can’t actually see anything because it’s a white out like it was on the A66 you’re not going anywhere. If you can’t see from the pictures that’s more than half an inch of snow you need to be nowhere near a truck because you’re blind.

And where were you on Friday night? I’m betting you were sat at home mocking those who ended up stranded for 14hrs or more on the A66 and M62 saying they’d get laughed at in Scandinavia even though when you watch that Discovery programme about the Norwegian recovery firm they too get stranded and close roads in conditions like that.

Saratoga:
I have also found the winter tires helps a lot. The bus in the video above, that company normally puts winter tires on apparently in November through to March,

I do with my own cars after seeing how well my mate’s car did with them on several years ago. I have a spare set of rims with them on I swap over towards the end of October although I now just stick all seasons on because we don’t really get it that bad and they perform good enough in snow and ice.

RWD BMW M3 winter tyres vs several other cars with summer tyres on.
youtube.com/watch?v=vOv2g5qTpvA

Identical cars, summer tyres vs two market leading all climate vs one winter.

youtube.com/watch?v=2cgtmmtsqFA

Allam , there’s evidence of a large Tsunami in the Middle Ages with sea water reaching as far as Glastonbury and answers nobody will never know such as ; how long will the sun last before it dies and what is at the end of the universe

Sky Captain:
Allam , there’s evidence of a large Tsunami in the Middle Ages with sea water reaching as far as Glastonbury and answers nobody will never know such as ; how long will the sun last before it dies and what is at the end of the universe

According to Douglas Adams in the Hitchhikers Guide there is a Restaurant at the end of he Universe. :slight_smile:

Conor:

Gidders:
My Norwegian,Swedish and Finnish neighbours in Spain think it’s hilarious that we Brits can’t cope with half an inch of snow,particularly if it’s the wrong kind.
I can’t believe how much our national character has changed over the last 40 - 50 years.Stoicism and steely determination?Long gone.

Except it’s not half an inch of snow, on the top of the A66 it was feet deep and it wasn’t the snow itself that was the issue rather than the winds gusting up to 80MPH and blowing the snow across the road. Even in Norway, Sweden and Finland if you can’t actually see anything because it’s a white out like it was on the A66 you’re not going anywhere. If you can’t see from the pictures that’s more than half an inch of snow you need to be nowhere near a truck because you’re blind.

And where were you on Friday night? I’m betting you were sat at home mocking those who ended up stranded for 14hrs or more on the A66 and M62 saying they’d get laughed at in Scandinavia even though when you watch that Discovery programme about the Norwegian recovery firm they too get stranded and close roads in conditions like that.

Perhaps I didn’t express my thoughts clearly,Conor.I was referring to the many occasions when a half inch of snow has caused devastation to road and rail travel in the past which have caused my Scandinavian friends much amusement.
I wasn’t out and about on the night you mention but I have experienced as bad and worse over the years.Memorably mountains in Turkey on the road out Middle East and countless times in the Alps working for a Swiss outfit.I was trained to fit chains then and I still carry a set in my car to this day.And I have been stuck in the UK a couple of times too.

Gidders:

Sky Captain:
Hutpik, I’m very jealous of your lifestyle, Brits in the snow can’t cope mate , leaves on the train tracks to central heating is broken at school, shut the school, can’t have the little darlings dying of hyperthermia can we ?

I drive a school bus. The salaried teachers couldnt possibly attend school in their 4x4s. The hourly paid turn up ,the catering staff and caretakers, they are hourly paid and sent home. Without pay in some cases.

msgyorkie:

Gidders:

Sky Captain:
Hutpik, I’m very jealous of your lifestyle, Brits in the snow can’t cope mate , leaves on the train tracks to central heating is broken at school, shut the school, can’t have the little darlings dying of hyperthermia can we ?

Probably because our “national character” has been been altered by people who originate from warmer climes!!
(Can I say that without being classed a racist!)

No, absolutely not. How dare you.