smoking in the cab

i subscribe to my own healthcare mate, its called bupa!!

laikin’ art:

However, a mechanic, who does not smoke, can refuse legally to get in it. I dont think this is likely to happen in reality.

It would happen if I was the mechanic. Filthy, nasty disgusting thing to do. Ban 'em I say.

Beat me to it!!

No need to ban the smokers though - just keep the stinking stuff away from me at all times!!

I’d rather that we all paid less tax but were legally obliged to take out our own medical insurance (a bit like here in Germany). That way, those folk in higher risk groups (smokers, overweight/obese, high BMI, etc) would pay higher premiums. There would be (voluntary) incentives to bring the annual premium down such as fitness tests etc with those people who kept themselves in better shape paying less.

Probably quite controversial unless you’re already fit & healthy!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hotrod_boogie:
i think it should be banned in my opinion, and people smoking while driving should get the same fine as someone using their phone while driving, smokers get too many benefits, they put little shelters up outside in factory yards for them to stand in to shelter from the rain and the cold, paid for by the company, do non smokers get any bonus cos they dont smoke? NO!! smokers get smoke breaks when at the end of the day they are no more than drug addicts addicted to nicotine, u dont see alcoholics getting breaks to feed their addiction so why should smokers get all the allowances, a man that rolls his own ■■■■ if u added that time up it takes him to roll his ■■■■ over the year christ knows how many lost work hours that is, i say smokers are given far too many benefits and allowances as it is, the smoking ban should have been harder!! :laughing:

Looking for a break are you :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

hotrod_boogie:
i subscribe to my own healthcare mate, its called bupa!!

And a Liar

As a matter of interest, does anyone know how much revenue is collected from smokers, and what percentage is that amount of the NHS budget.

I don’t know, but it seems lots of people have their opinions which may or may not be based on fact.

To my mind it is the tax on smoking that contributes to the NHS in order to support the many smoking related diseases caused. Obviously it is not in hte govenments interest to stop smoking completely, but to gradually reduce the number of smokers as the health service’s budgetary needs reduce accordingly.

Personally I find any cab that has been used by a smoker to be most offensive, but I uphold their right to smoke - as long as its not near me!

As regards smoke breaks: My son only started smoking so that he could get extra breaks - he has since quit, However I can see that either a smoker should get paid less or a non-smoker more, unless the smoker does it in their own time.

i used to deliver cigs about 5 yr ago they sold a pack of 200 for 3 pound that was for menthol which are more expensive so if they stop every smoking wheres all that tax going to come from and as for pay smokers less what a load of crap.and hears one for you pensions if smokers die younger no pension to pay for the goverment even though smokers pay more tax then any body else tell you what why not tax fat people there a burden on the nhs that will come next sorry no op your fat you will have to pay more or die like it was said in this thred before our grandparents fought for our freedom know mr brown wants us to be run by europe i thought thats why we fought two world wars so we could keep owe sovreinty :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

news.cenacletreatmentcentre.co.u … f-smo.html

e-health-insider.com/News/31 … on_by_2011

the-tma.org.uk/tobacco-tax-revenue.aspx

Three sites that give figures relating to the smoking debate. It seems clear to me from this that smokers contribute about 10% of the NHS budget, and given the fact that they die prematurely, therefore not receiving as much pension as a non-smoker, any non-smoker should be grateful!, but please, I repeat , not near me.

As regards fat people. Already they are not getting operations whilst they remain obese - but thats another story.

private healthcare is the way to go, bupa, cant fault it! the nhs has had it now.

Anyone do full cabriolet conversions? :smiley::D:D

It has always been law that those ‘in carge of passenger service vehicles’ cannot smoke.
I have often seen bus drivers having a crafty ■■■ and to be honest it really angers me.
I am a smoker myself but understand that buses and coaches should be smoke free as many passengers could suffer from asthma or other broncial problems and dont need to be in a smoky enviroments - however,
if you are an owner driver of a truck or the only one who will be using it then no way would I allow anybody to tell me not to have a cigarette in the cab.

Mothertrucker:
however,
if you are an owner driver of a truck or the only one who will be using it then no way would I allow anybody to tell me not to have a cigarette in the cab.

But as Coffeeholic has already explained, how can you possibly be the only one who will be using it unless you are doing your own servicing et al?

I’d say it’s the same as your own example of the bus & driver; maybe the next mechanic to work on your vehicle or VOSA officer at the checkpoint/weighbridge has asthma etc.

marcustandy:

Mothertrucker:
however,

But as Coffeeholic has already explained, how can you possibly be the only one who will be using it unless you are doing your own servicing et al?

I’d say it’s the same as your own example of the bus & driver; maybe the next mechanic to work on your vehicle or VOSA officer at the checkpoint/weighbridge has asthma etc.

As the law is almost unenforcable I think common sense on the issue is usually used and each situation is taken on it’s own merits.

ROG:

marcustandy:

Mothertrucker:
however,

As the law is almost unenforcable I think common sense on the issue is usually used and each situation is taken on it’s own merits.

No law is 100% enforceable, but to be honest I can’t see why this one is any less enforceable than any other unless it’s done behind closed curtains, watch people take notice if the police were to start prosecuting on a regular basis.

im an agency driver and i smoke. when i get in a cab if it already looks like someone has been smoking in there i will have the occasional ciggy. the way round it i think is light up but open both windows as soon as you have done. that way the smoke doesnt stay in the cab, not at 50 on the motorway anyway, and as long as you sweep out the footwell and wipe down the dash and windows at the end of your shift then all is good.

as for the people that rant and rave about banning it all together in the work place there are probably things that annoy other people that the non smokers do. i hate getting in a cab and finding crumbs from sandwiches/pasties and sweets on the floor. how long does it take to sweep out a footwell or wipe dashboard? you wouldnt leave your crumbs on the floor in your car for weeks on end so why do it in the companies transport!

I’m sorry Giblsa, but even having both windows open will not get rid of the smell - you are kidding yourself I think.

As regards crumbs etc., I agree. Yesterday I was out in a 57 reg renault with only 23k on the clock and the seat was badly stained - with coffee I hope! It only takes a few minutes to keep a cab clean and tidy, but it does seem beyond the capabilities of a few.

Smart Mart:
As regards crumbs etc., I agree. Yesterday I was out in a 57 reg renault with only 23k on the clock and the seat was badly stained - with coffee I hope! It only takes a few minutes to keep a cab clean and tidy, but it does seem beyond the capabilities of a few.

I’m glad we agree on something. some of the cabs i get as an agency driver are disgusting. it seems that some people just treat them like a travelling skip. i had one the other week and on my break i got bored so i decided to clear all the crap that accumulates behind the seats. there was half a sausage roll there with a sell by date of July 07 :open_mouth: . how long had that been there■■?

I always carry protective gloves in my kit, so that if I feel the urge to clean the cab up after others, at least I don’t get stale food up my finger nails!!

Smart Mart:
Personally I find any cab that has been used by a smoker to be most offensive, but I uphold their right to smoke - as long as its not near me!

That’s why i don’t agree with the blanket ban, i’ve done mainly agency work since the ban came in as i ‘retired’ from this game in 2003, some trucks i drive are total ashtrays! i took a merc out just before christmas, it had the usual no smoking signs, and no evidence of smoking in the cab. i was out in that motor for a week, as a heavy smoker myself i tried not to smoke much in it as the usual driver obviousley had some pride in his motor, before i finished with it i cleaned the cab out thouroughly, i was working for the same firm just after christmas and met up with the regular driver, he came over to me and said “aren’t you the driver that had my truck while i was away?” i thought he was going to complain, but instead he thanked me for leaving it in such good condition!
getting away from the point there though, it may be offensive to a non smoker getting in a cab when the previous driver has smoked in it. but unless it’s a changover and the smoke is still in the air, is there any evidence that the smell of smoking is ahealth hazard?
in the christmas rush last year i was doing a lot of work for TNT delivering to Primark, handballing a fully loaded step frame was no joke, all the trucks on that job stunk, not from smoking, although most of the drivers i met smoked, but from the driver getting back in the cab drenched in sweat!

i have asthma and get bother with hay fever etc. in the summer months but i still smoke. If i’m sharing a 24hrs a day unit with another smoker, then i’ll smoke in it, but, if the other driver is a non smoker then i don’t. i just have one when i stop for a break.

if you do end up in a non smokers truck and you really dont want to smoke in it, what i do is either have a smoke at every drop / pickup / break, and if i really need to on a drive, make sure you smoke with the window down, while moving at a reasonable speed and keeping the ■■■ as close to the window as possible, NEVER EVER use the ashtray because it will stink out the truck, i smoke heaps in my own truck but i never use the ashtray and it smells fine.