Smith of Maddiston

1A740D5D-FEF0-4A06-A162-6A7F0BCBCB25.jpeg

Fergie47:

tiptop495:
Hey,

Smith Maddiston Belium Brussels.
Pic taken in Antwerp docks, picking up trailers of the Tilbury Antwerp ferry.

Eric,

Cracking pics Eric…Pretty sure they were sub- contractors to SoM
This Pic I put on page one of this thread, drove it for about a year, then it went back to Maddison to be sold I guess.

Here is another one!

Someone must have stories and photos of this outfit as they were nationwide in the 50s,60s&70s I was priviledged to know James Smith in the 70s but that was after he had left the firm and it was part of United Group .

I remember them they ran a lot of trucks, and always very tidy.

Worked at Smith’s Southampton depot late '60’s - '70’s.

What depot were you at ?

Do a search on here, they’re are a few Smith’s threads, and I put a lot of photo’s on “Old Southampton Hauliers.”
Also see Brain Edgars fantastic site, with over a hundred pic’s of Smith’s motors from the early days to when they finished.
They’re are several Smith’s drivers on this site including Alex, ex Glasgow driver, with many a tale to tell !!!

This is Brians forum :- public.fotki.com/scottishtruckph … sh-trucks/ Go to Stirling / Faulkirk, then general haulage, then scroll down to Smiths ( in alphabetical order )

Fergie

Fergie47:
Worked at Smith’s Southampton depot late '60’s - '70’s.

What depot were you at ?

Do a search on here, they’re are a few Smith’s threads, and I put a lot of photo’s on “Old Southampton Hauliers.”
Also see Brain Edgars fantastic site, with over a hundred pic’s of Smith’s motors from the early days to when they finished.
They’re are several Smith’s drivers on this site including Alex, ex Glasgow driver, with many a tale to tell !!!

This is Brians forum :- public.fotki.com/scottishtruckph … sh-trucks/ Go to Stirling / Faulkirk, then general haulage, then scroll down to Smiths ( in alphabetical order )

Fergie

Hi. Fergie thanks for pointing me in the direction of Brian Edgars site !! J & A Smith were what I would describe as a class outfit in the 50s, & 60s and were probably ahead of their time !! I can remember Mr. James telling me that him and and his brother Alex had enjoyed themselves building the firm up over the years prior to selling
out to United. I also remember going into their depot at St. Albans their foreman was called Hughie ( a Scotsman of course ) and he always got you loaded and away no messing about with that guy !!Once again many thanks & All the Best for Christmas & the New Year Bewick.

Bewick

You’re welcome to Brian’s site, nice photo’s of Scottish hauliers, both old and new. Hope you enjoyed it.

5th WHEEL, is another ex Smith driver on here, he was in Manchester depot, and I BELIVE that the son of the foreman at
St.Albans you mentioned, is also a member of this site, (sorry I can’t remember his name but I think it might be regal ill do it ) he may come on and introduce himself later.

All the best for Xmas and 2010 to you too.

Fergie

I’ve just been on that Brian Edgars photo site that well worth a visit. I see the Smiths site is full of MK5 AECs thy went like hurricans.I had a Guy big j(60MPH)
The AECs would pull along side and whoosh they had gone out of sight.Good memories.
John

Fergie47:
Bewick

You’re welcome to Brian’s site, nice photo’s of Scottish hauliers, both old and new. Hope you enjoyed it.

5th WHEEL, is another ex Smith driver on here, he was in Manchester depot, and I BELIVE that the son of the foreman at
St.Albans you mentioned, is also a member of this site, (sorry I can’t remember his name but I think it might be regal ill do it ) he may come on and introduce himself later.

All the best for Xmas and 2010 to you too.

Fergie

Hi Fergie , sometimes I only had to nip into SOM St. Albans for an odd pallet although my motor could be fully freighted you always had room for a bit more!! and usually it was desperate and should have been there last week!! Hughies instructions were always the same “quote in scotch” "Howay Bewick luft yer skin and I’ll pit it on tap wi the Hyster and nee hingan aboot up road I want it there aback 'o 8 in the morning so dinna let me doon son !!!

Bewick if you scan the pages, you can see photo’s and comments, page 13 & page 24 :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Norman Ingram:
Bewick if you scan the pages, you can see photo’s and comments, page 13 & page 24 :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Norm I’ve just had a look at P.13 and found out a bit more Gen on Hughie the St. Albans foreman but I couldn’t find anything on P24 ? I’ve already wished you compliments of the season on the Xmas Greetings site so you arn’t getting them again !! Thanks Bewick

page 24 was smith & mad Southampton, you are welcome merry xmas.

My father worked for Smiths out of the Newport depot,use to be the old Wynns place the Transport Manager was a guy called Eric and he was one of the nicest blokes you could ever wish to meet.

Hi All,

Yes,as referred to above,I was a SoM driver from Cheetham Hill Manchester,late 70’s.

I had a personal problem for which I needed some hefty legal fees to be paid up front,the Manager,Harold Gilmore asked Alex Smith,who responded that I could borrow whatever £’s were necessary,monies were deducted out of my wages,weekly,

I went to Maddiston and met Alex to thank him,a gent of a guy.

Good times,

Wish all a very happy Xmas and a great New Year.

Rgds,

David

5thwheel:
Hi All,

Yes,as referred to above,I was a SoM driver from Cheetham Hill Manchester,late 70’s.

I had a personal problem for which I needed some hefty legal fees to be paid up front,the Manager,Harold Gilmore asked Alex Smith,who responded that I could borrow whatever £’s were necessary,monies were deducted out of my wages,weekly,

I went to Maddiston and met Alex to thank him,a gent of a guy.

Good times,

Wish all a very happy Xmas and a great New Year.

Rgds,

David

Hi 5th Wheel What was the final curtain for Smith’s an why did they close ? Bewick

Bewick:

5thwheel:
What was the final curtain for Smith’s an why did they close ? Bewick

Only a theory, but I’m guessing that most of SoM’s depots were at that time, in and around large towns / cities in highly populated districts. I’m thinking of Luton and Birmingham in particular, both in residential areas. The premises they had were worth, ( combined ,) millions to property developers, and probably valued at more than the company as a whole.
If any old Smiths lads read this, then perhaps they could confirm / deny, that the place they once worked at are now private housing estates, or commercial developements. It wouldn’t be the first transport company to finnish because of the real estate thay sat on !!

15 years in london road depot 1969 to 1984

bogieman:
15 years in london road depot 1969 to 1984

Wish I had a quid, for every time I loaded out of there. Doggie meat, 21 pallets, I hit Southampton, …Perfect !!

Did they have big contract for Vauxhall , I used to see them go behind Thornaby town hall somewhere, they would just disappear

yes did vauxhall and british leyland spares for a number of years out of luton and cowley

Fergie47:

Bewick:

5thwheel:
What was the final curtain for Smith’s an why did they close ? Bewick

Only a theory, but I’m guessing that most of SoM’s depots were at that time, in and around large towns / cities in highly populated districts. I’m thinking of Luton and Birmingham in particular, both in residential areas. The premises they had were worth, ( combined ,) millions to property developers, and probably valued at more than the company as a whole.
If any old Smiths lads read this, then perhaps they could confirm / deny, that the place they once worked at are now private housing estates, or commercial developements. It wouldn’t be the first transport company to finnish because of the real estate thay sat on !!

Hi Fergie I was just sitting here wi a wee dram waiting to see what Santy is going to leave me !! and I was wondering well when did SOM finally finish and what was the final wind down period --notice given to the staff ect. & so on . All the Best Bewick.