Smart Motorways

dieseldog999:
i think someone else posted earlier about a study that had worked out it was an average of 17 mins before someone creamed and killled you.

It takes 17 min on average for operators or system to spot the brakedown or accident in live line. It is scarry to think about that.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:
Here we go again. Blame the system for the shortcomings of the idiots that cause the incidents.

It’s been mentioned before. Dual carriageways do not have a hard shoulder. Neither do single carriage roads, which can have dips, blind corners, unsighted junctions, and close, oncoming traffic…

If a driver can not drive on a three or four lane wide road, with all traffic going in the same direction, without keeping enough distance and attention to the traffic ahead, than that driver should be held fully responsible.

This does not mean that the current set up of ALR motorway stretches is without its problems, but stop blaming the system for the in capability or blunt negligence of the driver…

100% with you

Tude:
I will not use the nearside lane on these motorways, I feel I have to do everything I can to ensure both I and those around me are safe and I will continue to do so. It is due diligence on my part, I have done a risk assessment and have arrived at the conclusion that it is safer not to use the nearside lane on these motorways…To ignore that is negligence in my opinion.

So on a dual carriageway you sit plodding along at 56 mph in the

OUTSIDE LANE■■?
:unamused: :unamused:

Freedom of information shows that one Motorway, the cameras supposedly monitoring the lanes haven’t worked for 366 days.

Government to overhaul smart motorways after 38 killed in five years

dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … years.html

I see a number of comments regarding “professional drivers” etc. Not all drivers are professional (even those that should be) and the losers are those sat in live lanes with nowhere to go.
I agree dual carriageways have no hard shoulder, nor do most trunk roads. Should we therefore reduce all roads to the lowest safety rating?? Should all safety issues be designed for the most efficient not the safest?

No hard shoulder on smart motorways and no hard shoulder on A roads, now look at the amount of safety fence (barrier) there is on the near side on a smart motorway compared to an A road, smart motorways it’s everywhere but A roads just tends to cover bridge supports and large signs therefore on an A road you have more likely hood of gaining access to the verge to get away from a live lane.

Neoo:

dieseldog999:
i think someone else posted earlier about a study that had worked out it was an average of 17 mins before someone creamed and killled you.

It takes 17 min on average for operators or system to spot the brakedown or accident in live line. It is scarry to think about that.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
i just remembered it was something along those lines though it just goes to show the quality of the retards they use to monitor the cameras.
i think any motorway without a hard shoulder is a disgrace and sub standard when they first made them with a hard shoulder for safety.

I seem to remember that the hard shoulder on a motorway is one of the most dangerous places to be.

Motorways without hard shoulder sounds like a boat that doesnt have any life-vests. You will only notice it was a really bad idea once you are in trouble yourself.

Santa:
I seem to remember that the hard shoulder on a motorway is one of the most dangerous places to be.

It was if you decided to wait in your Ford ■■■■■■ for 3 hours for the breakdown service to attend, but infinitely preferable to trying to extract your loved ones and yourself and over the barrier on a live running lane in the pitch dark in the middle of winter.

robroy:

Tude:
I will not use the nearside lane on these motorways, I feel I have to do everything I can to ensure both I and those around me are safe and I will continue to do so. It is due diligence on my part, I have done a risk assessment and have arrived at the conclusion that it is safer not to use the nearside lane on these motorways…To ignore that is negligence in my opinion.

Sorry mate, no offence, but you’re talking complete misguided cack. :unamused:
Firstly it ain’t your job to take it on yourself to Marshall the motorway, it’s the job of the Police.

Secondly, you’re doing this by contravening two of the basic rules of the road…keep left unless overtaking,.and adhere to lane discipline when at all possible. :bulb:

Have another look at your ‘risk asessment’ and leave everybody else to look after themselves, whilst you do it in the proper way…ie. adapt alertly, and react defensively to the conditions of the road, legally and (extra) safely in those smart m.way scenarios…it does work, as proven by us who do it. :bulb:

So there is evidence of the danger of these road systems because of the ignorance of the users and you do nothing extra to avoid being involved in the perhaps death of an innocent?

Tude:

robroy:

Tude:

Firstly it ain’t your job to take it on yourself to Marshall the motorway, it’s the job of the Police.

Secondly, you’re doing this by contravening two of the basic rules of the road…keep left unless overtaking,.and adhere to lane discipline when at all possible. :bulb:

Have another look at your ‘risk asessment’ and leave everybody else to look after themselves, whilst you do it in the proper way…ie. adapt alertly, and react defensively to the conditions of the road, legally and (extra) safely in those smart m.way scenarios…it does work, as proven by us who do it. :bulb:

So there is evidence of the danger of these road systems because of the ignorance of the users and you do nothing extra to avoid being involved in the perhaps death of an innocent?

There is evidence of danger in every type of road.
Have a re.read my post, where did I say I do nothing?? :unamused:

I’ll reiterate for you, …I adapt and react, I proceed with more caution, fully aware of potential hazards and dramas, and watch for them, ie act like a responsible and professional driver in charge of 44 tonnes.
What I don’t do is be a complete arse and exacerbate problems, (and create more problems) by hogging a lane, thinking I’m the M6 Road Commander keeping everybody else in check.
My truck has “*******” written on the side, not ''POLICE" . :bulb:

robroy:

Tude:

robroy:

Tude:

There is evidence of danger in every type of road.
Have a re.read my post, where did I say I do nothing?? :unamused:

I’ll reiterate for you, …I adapt and react, I proceed with more caution, fully aware of potential hazards and dramas, and watch for them, ie act like a responsible and professional driver in charge of 44 tonnes.
What I don’t do is be a complete arse and exacerbate problems, (and create more problems) by hogging a lane, thinking I’m the M6 Road Commander keeping everybody else in check.
My truck has “*******” written on the side, not ''POLICE" . :bulb:

I am having difficulty reconciling your words in a way that gives me an awareness that I am creating problems for others, I have never used the vehicle or its position to represent anything other than it is and quite how you relate it to POLICE is beyond my comprehension, not only do you not see the Police on the road network, but when you do they are at the scene of an accident/incident.....I am not hogging a lane, I am using the road system in what I believe to be the safest way for me and possibly others, I know not, as those advising the Govt. proclaim to know.....I am merely trying to make good of a bad job and I will never allow my own personal safety to be placed in the hands of those who think/feel that they know better.....Well, as much as I can. I have a choice in this situation and I make a choice, the fact that you dont like it does not make me wrong.

If the lane you are meant to travel in is clear to do so, and you choose to stick in the next lane with no regard for vehicles you may be impeding who have to go around you…you are hogging the lane, you can dress it up to justify it as much as you like. :bulb:
The purpose of spending millions on all lane running is to ease the flow of heavy traffic, whether you agree with them does not matter a ■■■■, you are impeding that flow of traffic thus negating the purpose.

Drive on the left unless overtaking. Not a difficult concept really.

the maoster:

I do, but not on smart motorways, as I feel they are a flawed concept.

Tude:

the maoster:

So is the UK tax system, but I don 't actively avoid paying it.

robroy:

Tude:

the maoster:

The UK tax system is better than most other countries, especially the USA, it is those who do not wish to contribute that are the problem.

Tude:

robroy:

Tude:

the maoster:

The UK tax system is better than most other countries, especially the USA, it is those who do not wish to contribute that are the problem.

Errr, yeh ok, :neutral_face: …but I was just using it as an analogy tbh. :neutral_face:

osark:
Motorways without hard shoulder sounds like a boat that doesnt have any life-vests. You will only notice it was a really bad idea once you are in trouble yourself.

So the A1, A34, A38, A12, A11, A13, A19 are all boats without life vests then as they are all motorway speed roads with no hard shoulders.