Slow Down Move Over Campaign

Hi all,

Can I please bring to your attention a new campaign that is running called Slow Down Move Over, we are asking that a new law is introduced in the UK which forces drivers to Slow Down and if safe to do so Move Over when they see an emergency vehicle working on the hard shoulder, what we are classing as emergency vehicles are all the 999 Services, Breakdown & Recovery Vehicles (Inc Tyre Fitting vans) & the Highways Agency vehicles (HATO & Bear) . Too many fatalities and serious injuries are happening on our hard shoulders every year, some of these could have been prevented if this law had been introduced.

WE HAVE TO MANY LAWS ALREADY, DRIVER EDUCATION IS BETTER

On a recent survey carried out only 46% of the people surveyed thought that road safety advertising had a long term effect, simply look at the two second rule to see that the survey may be right, we would like to introduce a law that would force the DSA to change the driving test to include the SDMO stance, this I believe would educate drivers from day one.

I am a RAC patrol, you cannot imagine how good it is to see one of you lads pull out to give me room whenever I am working on the hard shoulder, thank you, but for every one that moves over another handful dont and it is scary when a 44 Ton object hurtles past at 56mph.

We need 100,000 signatures within one year to allow us to take this to Parliament. Please help bu signing the E-Petition.

Please visit us and offer your support @

slowdownmoveover.co.uk
epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32354

Or join us

Twitter @slowdownmoveovr
facebook.com/sdmouk

Contact@slowdownmoveover.co.uk
Tel:- 07411400566 (leave a message, I will get back you you)

Thank you.

John McMorran

(Thank you to the sites Admin for allowing this post)

As standard this is what i do when i can and safe to do so, i have to say when completing this manouvre i do look in my mirrors and are dissapointed not to see the hgv behind me not do the same. As many, i have been in this situation myself and know and understand the dangers that lie ahead.

mr lordi:
As standard this is what i do when i can and safe to do so, i have to say when completing this manouvre i do look in my mirrors and are dissapointed not to see the hgv behind me not do the same.

This ^^^^^

I’m recovery, heavy and light, and know only too well the dangers involved. It is a high risk job.

Despite the huge developments in training, lighting technologies, advances in clothing and vehicle conspicuity, backup available etc, hard shoulder casualties are increasing.

Twice I’ve been lifted off my feet and thrown into the carriageway by the DRAUGHT off an artic whilst I’ve been working on the hard shoulder. And I’m 14 stone. The third time it happened, I was lifted right into the air and only stayed put because I managed to grab the straps on the taut I was working on. Traffic was heavy then, if I had been thrown into the road that night, I wouldn’t be typing this now.

I don’t for a moment think ANY driver would want a 14 clem fitter being thrown in front of them as they’re on the limiter, that’s only going to end one way, and it will be messy.

There are professional drivers out there who will move over when they can (just edging over the central white line makes a huge difference), and when this happens it’s really re-assuring to know them drivers are not only aware that I’m there, but make the physical effort to keep me safe. Not only that, but now I can be seen by the truck behind the one that’s moved over.

Sadly, these drivers are in the minority. For every one who moves over, there’s 5 who skim past no more than 2 feet off me.

Slow Down, Move Over is the law in the US of A, and quite a strange law, in that it actually works and everyone agrees it’s a good thing. Maybe Pat Hasler can tell us more ■■?

Please guys, spare 2 minutes and sign the petition. This WILL make a big improvement to roadside safety. The difference you make right now by signing the petition could save someone’s life in the future.

This campaign is going nationwide right now. Would you be interested in putting a few posters up in RDC’s, transport offices, truck stops, cafe’s etc? PM me if you would.

It makes as much sense as slowing down outside schools or slowing for horses and i have shared it over facebook and twitter and will share it on a couple of other sites I use

Signed and FB.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49034&start=30#p597245

I always give anything in the hs a lane width when possible so I don’t get caught out by idiots emerging from there vehicles in front of me in any case, fully support the reasons but not sure it requires a law ■■? Common sense says it would be near impossible to enforce, hell the police can’t even enforce normal lane discipline let alone a law so open to interpretation ■■

Signed :smiley:

if it’s congested, then we are going slow, and boxed in. so no one can go anywhere. but if a law was introduced, then people will think they have to slow down even more, and move out.

if we have normal driving conditions, then i can’t see any reason to slow down, this will cause accidents. but i will always move to the second lane. funny how not many of us brits still have the decency to do this, but our foreign cousins always do it.

Something I always try and do already, signed and followed, hopefully more will follow suit.

This is the sort of thing that should be in the DCPC.

Always do, can’t understand why every so called professional driver doesnt.

lilysgranpa:
Always do, can’t understand why every so called professional driver doesnt.

+1

As a law I can’t see how it could ever be enforced when you see someone working on the hs you often have a split second decision is it safe to move! If legal sanctions where added to the mix I fear people may cause as many accidents as they prevent.
As a matter of courtesy and safety I always move as far as possible if nothing else it warns the trucks behind there is a potential hazard ahead.

Phantom Mark:
fully support the reasons but not sure it requires a law ■■?

To be honest, no one want another law, and yes it would be near impossible to enforce it, but if it were law then the DSA would have to include it in the driving test and therefore new drivers would be aware of the situation, no one will be educated in this if they have been driving for 20 years and they are set in their waysand as most on here agree, it is only common sense but that Im afraid is something that lacks in a fair amount of drivers.

I was doing a job on the M9 a few weeks back, (Im a patrol for the RAC) it was a bright clear sunny afternoon, the road was quiet and you could see for miles. I noticed one of out contractors powering it up the road and before I knew it he was blasting his horn and waving, he did not slow down or move out & needless to say the contractor got ripped a new A-Hole. The point is that if my own industry dont have the common sense to slow down or move over then what chance does someone who has never stood on the hard shoulder have.

Thanks for supporting us guys,

John.

As said before, it should be an automatic reaction from any decent driver, however, introducing laws is a poor reaction IMO. If the motorway is solid and you can’t get into the next lane and lets be honest, don’t need to if you’re only doing 5mph, you still run the risk of a new law being used by some over zealous arse to further increase the governments coffers.

Otis.
what’s with the emphasis on slowing down? if someone slows down they are not going with the flow of the traffic. this causes accidents. you only have to look at the carnage rubberneckers cause.

I don’t think it needs a law, it would be pretty much unenforceable but it does need highlighting. I always change lanes if possible or if not run as wide in my lane as I can.

limeyphil:
Otis.
what’s with the emphasis on slowing down? if someone slows down they are not going with the flow of the traffic. this causes accidents. you only have to look at the carnage rubberneckers cause.

Phil, I think it’s to do with less turbulence at 40 rather than 56.