Sleeping in your cab bunk on a ferry crossing

dieseldave:
BTW, the (old) triangular Marine Pollutant mark (the first pic in Malc’s post above) has been got of and is now replaced by the diamond-shaped “fish and tree” sign, as in the second pic in Malc’s post above.

I knew that you wouldn’t be far away, but I thought the triangular MP label may be more familiar, if I had only put the new one up someone may have asked. "What is that? :wink:

I asked seafrance why when carrying ADR I was sometimes on open deck and sometimes down below. The answer they gave me was it depends on the flashpoint of the goods being carried.

dieseldave:

welshboyinspain:
so why do all ADR trucks get put on open deck or get priority place at the doors?

Since dangerous goods have been mentioned, I’ll chuck in a quick 2p worth to try and help with one or two myths. :wink:
It’s not really a “priority place,” but vehicles carrying dangerous goods can’t be parked just anywhere on a ferry because of what’s written in Maritime law.

Whether a load containing, or of dangerous goods is or is not subject to ADR is of absolutely no interest to a ship’s crew because they use a completely different set of Regs called the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code, otherwise known as IMDG. ( = ADR is completely irrelevant at sea.)
For instance, IMDG does not recognise the orange plates used on vehicles that we see on the roads.
IMDG has its own ( = no connection with ADR) methodology and marking requirements for road vehicles carried on board ferries.

Just about any dangerous goods in just about any quantity will come under IMDG, and therefore a DGN will be needed. ( = That doesn’t necessarily mean that the load would be fully subject to ADR.)
IMDG has very strict rules on whereabouts a road vehicle carrying dangerous goods may be carried on a ship. As already mentioned, road vehicles carrying dangerous goods can sometimes be carried like other vehicles, but some other vehicles carrying dangerous goods are required to be carried ‘out front’ or on what IMDG calls a “weather deck.”

IMDG 1.2.1…
Weather deck means a deck which is completely exposed to the weather from above and at least two sides.”

To decide whereabouts dangerous goods may be carried on a ship, IMDG uses “stowage categories” which are letters A -to- E. Each dangerous substance is given a letter (A-to-E) in the IMDG dangerous goods list, and from that, the loading officer will know where the goods may be placed. IMDG uses phrases such as “clear of living quarters” or “on or under deck” for where a vehicle may be parked, then they’ll consider segregating certain types of dangerous goods from certain other types, for which IMDG uses the phrases “away from…,” or “separated from…”

IMDG also makes a distinction between ships that have more than a certain number of passengers on board Vs. the length of the ship in meters, so sometimes a road vehicle carrying certain dangerous goods can only be carried on a cargo ship.

BTW, the (old) triangular Marine Pollutant mark (the first pic in Malc’s post above) has been got of and is now replaced by the diamond-shaped “fish and tree” sign, as in the second pic in Malc’s post above.

I always love your posts it’s nice to come across a professional who actually knows what he’s talking about.
i am attending a “ADR” course next month and am looking forward to it as my old one expired about 5 years ago so no doubt will be picking your brain in the future. Hopefully when i pass will be doing regular Spain so might run across w b i s for that beer i mentioned a few years ago when i was on Belkin.

just remember when in spain with ADR, 80kph speed limit and you must use the peage routes not the national roads so no sunbilla short cuts :bulb:

welshboyinspain:
just remember when in spain with ADR, 80kph speed limit and you must use the peage routes not the national roads so no sunbilla short cuts :bulb:

thanks mate i didn’t know that about the nationals. just goes to show the info you can get of truck net it’s well worth the subscription. will be back with lots of queries in the future.by the way euroboy still having a ball running around with jags and range rovers.

thetourist:

welshboyinspain:

thanks mate i didn’t know that about the nationals. just goes to show the info you can get of truck net it’s well worth the subscription. will be back with lots of queries in the future.by the way euroboy still having a ball running around with jags and range rovers.

when you join a peage in spain one of the first signs you’ll see is a blue circle with a truck symbol and orange square showing that you are on an ADR route. the obligation is where there is a peage alternative.
if for example you cross at irun and going to madrid you must use AP8 then AP1 to vittoria then peage to burgos not national road, more expensive but then ADR rates should compensate

welshboyinspain:
so why do all ADR trucks get put on open deck or get priority place at the doors?
not all ADR stuff is bad for the little fishies

Not forgetting the Rover driver pulling a “Rapide” caravan :sunglasses: