Sleep Apnoea

Keith I have Sleep Apnoea ,got diagnosed after a visit to my Lung-doctor who
sent me to his sleep-lab in the local Hospital, the first night they connected you up
with various cables and you was filmed and the data was recorded in the PC which
was checked by the Doctor the next day, he then told me that I was suffering from
this illness, and that I would need a DARTH-VADAR mask to compensate, I was given
a mask & machine after being checked for which type and spent a 2nd night having both adjusted
to ensure that all was working correctly, also they wish me to go back later this year just to
check that I have been using it correctly and if necessary make adjustments as required
I am over weight as well but when working I was never one of those who fell asleep at the wheel
but thats pure luck, All I can say Keith , is its a great device and you can still drive ; unless the doctor
things you are a risk to yourself and other road users ,here in Germany.also the machine
has a card which records how the machine has been working and you can not cheat
at all, I was told as long as the machine is used and is doing its job then, the licence
was safe, all the best mate, with the sleep lab.,.

Although I am reasonably sure that I am not suffering from Apnoea but do worry about my oxygen levels as mentioned by Cockney Mark.

During my stay in hospital whilst wired up to the machinery my oxygen levels were hovering between 72% and 85%

i have been diagnosed with osa for about 2 years now, i use cpap every night and feel much better for it.
to start with when 1st diagnosed i informed the dvla who told me my licence was suspended, 6 weeks later get the all ok from papworth phone the dvla to find out how long it would take to lift the suspention to be asked “what suspension?”
i still feel tired from time to time and still have the odd micro sleep at which point its time to pull over and 15mins.
i try to make sure i have 7hrs sleep a night on cpap, have had 2 reviews and papworth are happy that the machine is doing its job, my licence is now back to normal after being put on a short licence for a year.
it really isnt too bad but guys really do get yourselfs checked out if in doubt.

Jonah 1:
I think a lot of people under-estimate this condition.

It is a killer.My father died from it.

When you sleep you stop breathing but when you stop it is on your “out” breath.
So when you breathe again you take another “in” breath this means the carbon dioxide levels build up in your system.Eventually (as in my fathers case) your organs collapse due to lack of oxygen.We were told he had multiple organ failure.

The problem is it is a condition that is treated so easily but unfortunately there is also a postcode lottery.I know of an ex-collegue who was operated on within a couple of weeks of seeing his consultant (in a neighbouring health authority) and took a C-PAP machine home from the hospital but my father was on a 9 month waiting list just to get the C-PAP machine.

The most common type of person to get Sleep Apnea are the overweight but particular anybody with a “bull neck” is at risk male or female.

If you are worried then see your G.P who can arrange a “sleep test” normally in your local hospital as there are different degrees of this condition and this will determine how serious your Apnea is or if you have it at all.

Most people just need a C-PAP machine and a diet but some may need an operation.I haven spoken to numerous people who’ve had the C-PAP machine and they say even after the first night the difference is amazing.

CPAP mask/machine, ‘lovely’ bit of kit. Having recently spent a few weeks in hospital, a ‘simple’ routine bypass became a serious problem after I caught a chest infection and 1 of my lungs collapsed. I spent at least 72 hours with a CPAP mask on, breaks every few hours for fluids, not the nicest treatment but it certainly worked. In all honesty though, its not a treatment I’d like to go through again.