Simple question. . . . . .

As previously said ,bottom centre of windscreen there should be a sticker saying to always pull away in first gear…

The thing that I don’t like is why is he reviewing the previous footage of your driving ,have you previously had clutch changes ,or does your tm have so little to do he can view what drivers are up to whilst driving…I generally thought footage was only viewed when there was a reason to view it ie an accident

norb:
As previously said ,bottom centre of windscreen there should be a sticker saying to always pull away in first gear…

The thing that I don’t like is why is he reviewing the previous footage of your driving ,have you previously had clutch changes ,or does your tm have so little to do he can view what drivers are up to whilst driving…I generally thought footage was only viewed when there was a reason to view it ie an accident

Or his telemetry is telling him the vehicle is being driven in the wrong gear or erratically

There is no mention of telemetry in the ops post…It would be nice if we knew the actual reason for reviewing the onboard camera footage .Telemetry won’t show what gear he is in with a manual box…If a Euro6 DAF then there will be the Driver Performance Assist ,which will give the driver tips and show his general diving in a percentage ,though if Euro 5 it won’t have any of that .And the DPA isn’t sent to the office ,a TM would have to go to the vehicle to access it …Also for anyone with a EURO 6 DAF who dislikes the DPA it can be switched off with DAVIE

My interpretation is that when you’re on the firm’s time driving the firm’s wagon he is well within his rights to instruct you to pull away in first. As for the ■■■■■■ and blinding (assuming it happened), you should think yourself lucky if you still have a job at the end of the week. Gross misconduct and sackable is what it is.

I also heard that cameras pick up what you say in cab while driving,surely that’s wrong

You have a second chance with the main boss to show him that you are not a thick as pig ■■■■, uneducated, stereotype lorry driver that cannot construct a sentence without throwing in a few ■■■■ s, and at the same time make that tm look a liar and a ■■■■ which he appears to be.
I have similar time experience as you and would never set off in crawl in an empty truck, so it is open to discussion with him.
I also have an inward facing ‘accident/incident’ type camera which I have told my boss is taped up as I don’t like or agree with :bulb: I told him politely and respectfully (without ■■■■ ing and blinding) and it is still taped up for last 12 months. The other drivers reluctantly put up with them but that is their look out, I don’t give a ■■■■ how others do things.
Point I am making is you don’t have to go in there with a stinking attitude to achieve your agenda. :bulb:
'In the meantime when you get in your motor and you know matey is watching you, drop your Keck’s and treat him to a parted cheeks shot

You’ve gotta love this place, if you had come on here saying you were nice as pie to him and agreed with everything he said then the response would have been everyone saying “I’d have told him where to stick his cameras and he wouldn’t tell me how to drive”

:wink: :smiley: :smiley:

robroy:
would never set off in crawl in an empty truck,

But in a six-speed gearbox 1st gear isn’t crawl. 2nd out of six is going to be a higher ratio than 2nd out of eight or twelve.
DAF supply them with stickers on the windscreen saying “always pull away in 1st gear”.

Glen A9:

robroy:
would never set off in crawl in an empty truck,

But in a six-speed gearbox 1st gear isn’t crawl. 2nd out of six is going to be a higher ratio than 2nd out of eight or twelve.
DAF supply them with stickers on the windscreen saying “always pull away in 1st gear”.

Well that shows what I know then :blush: ,… my excuse is I only drive real trucks :laughing:
:bulb: On second thoughts I don’t even do that anymore since Crash boxes went to synchro to now automatics :unamused: so I’ll shut up :laughing:

why don’t you get the “big boss” to drive you about for a while in stopstart rushour,and after that,as him what gears best…his trucks,his rules,but neancounter tms don’t make things easier. then tell him not to put you on the dinky toys again,or…chuck the job and work somewhere that dosent give a toss… :confused:

now I understand!

Humble pie, if you hope to keep your job. What would be the point of the cameras if they did not review footage, and what difference does it make whether he has a licence or not? I can’t vouch for the truck you drove but years ago (P reg Scania tractor unit) our drivers managed to destroy a clutch in 10000 miles. Scania said it was driver abuse probably caused by setting off in too high gear and slipping the clutch I think it was a ceramic clutch and we were told you have to pull away in 1st gear with no throttle.

Darb:
You’ve gotta love this place, if you had come on here saying you were nice as pie to him and agreed with everything he said then the response would have been everyone saying “I’d have told him where to stick his cameras and he wouldn’t tell me how to drive”

:wink: :smiley: :smiley:

:grimacing: :grimacing: And…thats the problem nowadays, to many drivers just roll over…!! :laughing: Literally too !!! :grimacing:

I don’t see the need to eat humble pie on Wednesday as long as he doesn’t start swearing again. He said he’s just got back after a 13 hour day, and who knows how he felt. The tm says that he’s looking at the footage and ignores the op when he asks him why, then tells him “To save wear and tear, you will always pull away in First gear.” Does anyone think that he could have put that a bit better ? Had I been the tm, I’d have spoken to the bloke with a bit of respect. Maybe he got back (rightly or wrongly) what he dished out.

peterm:
I don’t see the need to eat humble pie on Wednesday as long as he doesn’t start swearing again. He said he’s just got back after a 13 hour day, and who knows how he felt. The tm says that he’s looking at the footage and ignores the op when he asks him why, then tells him “To save wear and tear, you will always pull away in First gear.” Does anyone think that he could have put that a bit better ? Had I been the tm, I’d have spoken to the bloke with a bit of respect. Maybe he got back (rightly or wrongly) what he dished out.

I agree with Peterm. A lot of people having a go at the driver about his attitude, which wasn’t ideal, but put yourself in his position.
End of a 13hr day, you’re dragged over the carpet, first words out of the bosses mouth is that he’s been reviewing the internal camera footage. :open_mouth:
How many of you are so perfect, day in day out, that you wouldn’t mind, and how many would start thinking “■■■■, what’s he seen…”
I came off buses / coaches onto HGV’s, so I’m used to being watched whilst driving and having a constant ‘review’ from people who love to complain, but I knew they were there and watching, a camera is another matter, if you know what I mean?