Simon international

Damman compound (Al Khobar) very early days

Black John in middle, me on left, just wish i could remember who had Volvo & Merc. My idea of keeping a very low profile meant that i never really got to know the guys i ended up living with, just that i had a bee in my bonnet in those days to be my own man, i had met too many ‘Experts’ in previous years that knew ■■■ all, so apologies to any i met that really knew whats what, i really, REALLY, beleived that it was all down to me if i survived or not, and thank god for the few blokes that helped out when i needed it, but they were always unknown to me, French, German, Swiss, Dutch and of course ANY Brit in the area,

Who owned the Saviem?? (or was it a Berliot?) rings a bell, think i ran with him but not sure, a Rare truck in saudi

[zb]
anorak:

skipvitesse:
Looks like your truck was a 1220, i often wonder why my one was badged 1217, do you remember the reg number?

IIRC, GB market ones had an 11 ton back axle, so were 17 ton gvw. Other markets had 13 ton axles, making them 20 tonners.
Here’s the article describing the launch of the F10/12, in August 1977:
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … e-28-ton-p
The picture shows an F1217.

What i meant was why was My F12 the only one badged 1217?
Other 5 were badged 1220?
I am aware that original press release photo’s showed 1217, but i NEVER saw one on the road! There must have been at least more than one on UK plates,
Also certain i was on road before August 1977, my first trip was to Switzerland in SNOW!!! I know its a cold country, But Snow in August■■?
I was certain i did that trip winter 76-77, i could be wrong, but i stopped Middle East in mid 79, and ran the F12 at least a year before i came to my senses.
I always had a sneaking suspicion that Jeff got the first 6 units as a test, they were all LHD, and at end of trip went back to Volvo mob for check over,
My 1st Saudi trip attracted a lot of attention, nobody had seen one yet, mobbed at every stop (mainly cos it had AirCon as Std)
I know its 40 yrs ago, and memory plays tricks, but i have checked my old passports, we seemed to have F12’s before that press report,
Anyone have any comments? memories? Photo’s
Picture of me in Zurich was early 1977, and it was snowing,
Work it out for yourselves

One of my 1st Back Door trips in a truck out of Switzerland,
Definately early '77,
I did a few trips with F12, and finished Middle East end of 78/early 79 in a DAF, then did a season with Project 4 (McLaren F1 Racing) in '79 as a Truckie, before joining Hangartner in Switzerland, left end of '80 to go to Australia and get married (Dont Ask)
Curious as to how Jeff got those Volvo’s
And when?
I drove one,
I know when,
But they were not released in UK Market,
JEEZ, Simon Int, Jeff, etc had fingers in many pie’s

skipvitesse:

Black John in middle, me on left, just wish i could remember who had Volvo & Merc. My idea of keeping a very low profile meant that i never really got to know the guys i ended up living with, just that i had a bee in my bonnet in those days to be my own man, i had met too many ‘Experts’ in previous years that knew [zb] all, so apologies to any i met that really knew whats what, i really, REALLY, beleived that it was all down to me if i survived or not, and thank god for the few blokes that helped out when i needed it, but they were always unknown to me, French, German, Swiss, Dutch and of course ANY Brit in the area,

Who owned the Saviem?? (or was it a Berliot?) rings a bell, think i ran with him but not sure, a Rare truck in saudi

The Volvo belonged to Peter Best. It’s not the same one as the other photo. Peter’s was in the same colours as Trevor Cooper’s, but had a tag axle. When Joe lost his rag - and his job, Peter was offered and took, the job as transport manager. He sold the Volvo to John Longhorn (facebook won’t allow John to use his surname - it thinks it’s rude!). However, as you say, early days, so Joe still there and it must be Peter driving. Next to him is either my brother Andy’s Merc, or that of Andy Sindstat, his boss. They subbed off caravan for a few months. Note the radiator cover removed to try and improve the cooling!

I’m fairly sure that these pictures must be late '77. Correct me if I’m wrong. I think you would be loaded for the pink palace in Riyadh. We took thousands of tons there. This was King Saud’s palace and contained among other things, a magnificent onyx bath. Saud had been deposed by Faisal in 1964 and the palace had stood empty ever since. God it was dusty! It was refurbished by an American company employing British labour (very Auf Wiedersehn pet!) and was finished in time for Jimmy Carter’s visit to Saudi in January 1978.
[edit] Just googled Carter’s visit and I’ve got the dates wrong - it was October '78, so that sounds more likely. Also as the radiator cover is off the Merc, it would have been unlikely that it was winter - it was still hot, but not like Summer. Oh, and I notice that the American Ambassador to Saudi at the time was John West, but alas, it was not me![/edit]

As an aside, at the end of the Aramco TV programmes, they started playing the news in English, taped earlier from Saudi TV. It had a completely different slant from the news back in the UK, as you can imagine. I was astounded one evening to see one of the foremen from the Pink Palace job, in a suit, reading the news! Saudi at the time was very much an ‘if you can do it, you’ve got the job’ sort of place.

The Saviem was one of two, which started on overland for Douglas Freight, but finished up in Dammam. Eric Collins (Geoff’s brother) bought one. Sometime later, I bought the other. At the time I would have had the day cab Scania that I bought from Paul Kerr. Like the Mercs the Saviems had to be kept well away from top gear in the summer to avoid overheating.

John

John West:

skipvitesse:
The Saviem was one of two, which started on overland for Douglas Freight, but finished up in Dammam. Eric Collins (Geoff’s brother) bought one. Sometime later, I bought the other. At the time I would have had the day cab Scania that I bought from Paul Kerr. Like the Mercs the Saviems had to be kept well away from top gear in the summer to avoid overheating.

Was this Douglas as in the Isle of Man?
I do remember seeing a couple of Saviems with IoM number plates, (MAN ****), in Riyhad at one time.

skipvitesse:

[zb]
anorak:

skipvitesse:
Looks like your truck was a 1220, i often wonder why my one was badged 1217, do you remember the reg number?

IIRC, GB market ones had an 11 ton back axle, so were 17 ton gvw. Other markets had 13 ton axles, making them 20 tonners.
Here’s the article describing the launch of the F10/12, in August 1977:
archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … e-28-ton-p
The picture shows an F1217.

What i meant was why was My F12 the only one badged 1217?
Other 5 were badged 1220?
I am aware that original press release photo’s showed 1217, but i NEVER saw one on the road! There must have been at least more than one on UK plates,
Also certain i was on road before August 1977, my first trip was to Switzerland in SNOW!!! I know its a cold country, But Snow in August■■?
I was certain i did that trip winter 76-77, i could be wrong, but i stopped Middle East in early 78, and ran the F12 at least a year before i came to my senses.
I always had a sneaking suspicion that Jeff got the first 6 units as a test, they were all LHD, and at end of trip went back to Volvo mob for check over,

The visible difference if I remember between a 1217 and a 1220 was that the 1220 had helper springs on the back axle, where the 1217 did not.
I don’t recall any of the other F12’s having air horns other than mine.
I don’t remember where, but I was parked up somewhere and I saw a newly registered F12 in SI’s colours and thought blimey, Jeff’s bought some new motors! But on closer inspection, there were some original motors that had been re registered?
I have mentioned earlier in this thread, that just before the demise of SI, I took over the F12 that had been driven by the Poisoned Dwarf on internals in Saudi, and he was pleased with himself telling everyone how much better an F12 goes when well freighted if you take the air cleaner out!
I was loaded for Baghdad but got pulled in Germany for the amount of smoke and oil coming from the exhaust.
Talked my way through Germany but it was using so much oil, when I got to Graz I rang Jeff and told him I could go no further with this motor in this state, if it got any worse in Yugoslavia it would be costly, so he told me to take it into Volvo’s in Graz.
In Volvo’s they stripped the engine down and all the pistons had a mirror shine to them, and the workshop foreman asked me who’d been shovelling sand into the engine!
Anyway, a full engine rebuild and bombed down to Baghdad and back to run her in.

bestbooties:

John West:

skipvitesse:

Was this Douglas as in the Isle of Man?
I do remember seeing a couple of Saviems with IoM number plates, (MAN ****), in Riyhad at one time.

Hi Ian,

Yes that’s right, Two Liverpool lads, Fred and Gerry (can’t remember their surnames) drove them on overland in '76. They always ran together. I had the white Volvo f88 with the the silver grill for Douglas Freight at the time. Actually you can just make out ‘Douglas International’ in white signwriting on the Saviem in the washing day picture above. We 3 did internals together during late '76 from Jeddah and Yanbu and flew home for christmas, but I don’t think Fred and Gerry came back out. When i got back to my cab, which I’d left outside the agent’s, Addasco, in January '77, I’d left a can of coke in the dash tray, it had exploded and left me a sticky mess to clear up!

I can remember being stuck at the Hungary Yugo border one evening with a bolshie customs guy who said my number was wrong for a Brit truck - it was MN and about 4 numbers. I guess he wanted Backshish. I waited until the shift changed and sailed through!

John

I had to recover a DAF 2800 from damman, that was i dire need of engine work, i have no idea who had been driving it, but it was on Internal Use, Jeff asked me to limp it home, Oh, and by the way could you pick up a backload in Italy!
Wonder whether it had same treatment as F12 with no air cleaner■■?
I stocked up on as much engine oil as i could before leaving but ran out way before Italy, low on cash i did best i could to get to load, i managed a cash advance once loaded and bought quite a few 25Ltr drums of AGIP’s finest, that should get me home, or so i thought, but before i even got to Aachen press gauge started fluctuating, into next services and parked between cashier and rack of Oil on display by pumps (remember when that was quite normal?) While messing about pretending to do lots of truck checks and buying a coffee, as many cans of oil as i could get went into side locker!!! NOT Proud of that, but i was peniless by then and determined to get truck back home.
By that time oil was dripping out of exhaust pipe on idle,
I shut down engine at every opportunity, I.E. every downhill, etc and got to Zeebrugge with oil press gauge just flicking up and down, way way below Min capacity, begged some oil from another Brit to get onto ferry and into Dover,
I had a Barclay Card (remember they were just about the only ones back then, and only of use in England) 10 Ltrs of oil just about got me back to Brick Lane,
Total trip i must have put 100-200 ltrs of oil into that engine,
Mech started stripping engine straight away and started screaming ‘This engine has been run without oil’,
But No real damage, was a cheap repair now back home, mega money elsewhere,
Turned out to be a piston cracked down middle and in 2 pieces, fell apart in his hands when removed,
BUT, Jeff was thankful i got it home, And a backload into the bargain!!!
Many may think Jeff always looked for a profit in any circumstances, but he threw quite a few pound notes my way on top of my Trip Money,
Decent bloke in my eyes, cross him at your peril, help him and he was a friend for life,
I liked him and got on well, too short an aquaintance really, about 4 yrs,
THE ONLY boss i ever worked for that let me do what i thought right, very rare in those days,
Great days

Black John looking very serious between bouts of laughing out loud, diciding on whether to leave the whole thing or get our finger out and Sort It,
A good man to have by your side,
Anyone heard of him recently■■?

Hard on the Brakes, miss the so and so’s
If you hit one its neck and head would come through windscreen,and take you out,
Where did they come from■■?
One minute nothing, then dozens,
Ahead 20kms to next truck
Behind maybe 50Km
But they just HAD to run out in front of me,

Missed that one, but only just, had camera out for something else, fresh underpants job, no way was i going into sand at that speed, jeez those things can shift when needed thank god,

What did the beggars eat? there was NOTHING there!!!

The fantastic NEW Clock Tower in DOHA,
A work of art,
Except it had 4 different times shown depending on direction you approached it,
I loved leaving at least 3 Hrs before i arrived,

Steaming up the road, in a bit of a daze, hot & sunny around midday, spotted some idiot parked on road, nothing coming so pulled out to pass followed closely by an Astran Mate,
Then realised it was back of queue for border, miles away,
So what hey, continued till we saw friendly faces, no way was i going to stop beside the locals, they were not best pleased,
The mere fact i may have gained a full day in queue had nothing to do with it, perish the thought,

Hello Skip, great to see some new life and pictures put back into the M/E threads :smiley: In your picture you have two Astran trucks behind you. One in the queue and one following you. Was one the late Robert Dodds-Brown? Im sure I have seen some old pics of his own truck in those Astran colours and im guessing it was around the same time. Good pics and memories, keep em coming1 :wink:

bullitt:
Hello Skip, great to see some new life and pictures put back into the M/E threads :smiley: In your picture you have two Astran trucks behind you. One in the queue and one following you. Was one the late Robert Dodds-Brown? Im sure I have seen some old pics of his own truck in those Astran colours and im guessing it was around the same time. Good pics and memories, keep em coming1 :wink:

Sorry, but almost 40Yrs ago now, i forget just who they were, Astran bloke that followed me past queue was a young guy, had a big grin on his face and said he thought i knew what i was doing, so just followed!!!
Sensible guy in queue gave us words of wisdom, many many words, but let us into queue when we moved, Lots of unhappy drivers behind us, but we gained almost a full day,
Cheeky? Yes, Planned? No, it just happened

1st Trip,
Not much of anything around,
My address was at Damman airport, thought that would be an easy tip,
Fast lesson to first timer, it was a P.O. address!!
Wandered around Al Khobar for 2 days, No Telex, No Phones, Saw a GB reg truck one night and ran down road trying to flag it down, did he stop? no way, i could have been anyone,
After 3rd day found agent, and i have no idea how i did it,
Turns out ‘Tip’ was about a day away further south, about 100Km across desert to coast from Damman-Ryhad road, they sent a guide in a VW Beetle to guide me, and boy i needed it,
I was 1st truck on site, absolutely NOTHING there, just a barge they brought in with living accommodation, moored 100yds offshore, i went across in a boat and stayed for a couple of days till a crane arrived to unload me.
No one on barge spoke a word of English, but i was treated really well, then the Yanks turned up, they were not expecting me for another week, i had done London to Site in just over 2 weeks, they estimated a month minimum,
My 1st trip for Jeff
But not my last,

Crane finally turned up, i was not expected

Guide in VW Beetle, jeez, they can go anywhere,

Barge moored in Gulf, Living accommodation, Home from Home, totally staffed by asians, good guys though. Once camp set up barge would move to new site ready to set up a fresh camp, a tug would come down and push barge to new place

Looks like they didn’t hang around getting the tilt cover off!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

:smiley: Getting it off with a Crane is a doddle. It’s putting the Sodding thing on again that’s a Ballache :smiley:

Archie Paice:
… It’s putting the Sodding thing on again that’s a Ballache :smiley:

Just what I was thinking! I always used to fold and pull, fold and pull along with a bit of prodding with a tilt board to try and keep the sheet as neat and as tight as possible and get it in some sort of order where I could pull it back over again, usually on my own! Putting that one back on again without the crane would be a nightmare, and in that heat!! :open_mouth: :smiley:

bullitt:

Archie Paice:

Just what I was thinking! I always used to fold and pull, fold and pull along with a bit of prodding with a tilt board to try and keep the sheet as neat and as tight as possible and get it in some sort of order where I could pull it back over again, usually on my own! Putting that back on again without the crane would be a nightmare, and in that heat!! :open_mouth: :smiley:

The crane pee’d off, and to make it worse he only pulled pumb cord off as far as front both sides, leaving front panel still corded and tilt just dumped, one of the indonesian workers helped me get it all back up, took hours.
Another lesson learnt, NEVER let anyone else offer to unload,

skipvitesse:

bullitt:

Archie Paice:

Just what I was thinking! I always used to fold and pull, fold and pull along with a bit of prodding with a tilt board to try and keep the sheet as neat and as tight as possible and get it in some sort of order where I could pull it back over again, usually on my own! Putting that back on again without the crane would be a nightmare, and in that heat!! :open_mouth: :smiley:

The crane pee’d off, and to make it worse he only pulled pumb cord off as far as front both sides, leaving front panel still corded and tilt just dumped, one of the indonesian workers helped me get it all back up, took hours.
Another lesson learnt, NEVER let anyone else offer to unload,

I reckon most of us learnt that the hard way, alas! After that, if the load had to come out by crane, I always folded the sheet as tightly as possible atop the headboard and strapped it down tight; then stacked all the pillars and boards where I knew where to find them. I’d do anything to avoid it having anything to do with the ground! My tilt had colour-coded side boards marked with blobs of paint to make reassembly easier, but of course I used a lot of tilts that were just a hotch-potch and took hours to put back together, especially if it was only me doing it in the heat. Robert