Signs to go metric

nick2008:
So what would a Bag of chips be called :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Don’t give them ideas!

I’m sure there’s a new directive being finalised that mandates the exact dimensions of a portion of chips, including paper thickness & absorbency, we don’t want anyone getting dry skin from the vinegar now do we! It’ll be along the lines of ‘how bent a Banana needs to be’ :cry:

Surely the cost of this would be immense particularly speed signs, who/what pays for road signs is it car tax? So us mugs pay a wedge because some foreigner cant be arsed to do a metric back to imperial conversion and whacks a bridge :confused:

As far as bridge height signage is concerned I personally think that it should be marked in solely metric measurements, this would then remove any room for misunderstanding by anyone.

Lets face it it cant be that much of an issue as nobody ever complains about weight limits being in metric tonnes do they?

I’d have thought it was quite easy, if I was going abroad, whilst planning my route in my atlas featuring low bridges I would turn to the handy table of Imperial>Metric conversions and get the Metric height of my truck and write it on a bit of paper and stick it next to the height marker simples.

Whether the signs are in metric, imperial, millimetres, centimetres or rods & furlongs. It doesn’t matter, what does matter is that they are made standard, it’s stupid to use a different system in a different county or even on the same road. We don,t use imperial measurement in education except in history. Tyres are measured in both systems, we don’t need to follow that example.

If it costs millions, so what, how many millions are wasted when a railway bridge is closed or damaged. The enforcement agencies should be more proactive and the fines trebled if someone hits a bridge or even ventures into a weight limit without reason, those fines can then pay for the new signs.

To be honest it wouldn’t make any difference what format the signs were in, idiot drivers would still hit bridges.