Shunters and tugs

dennisw1:

Dogmanbodie:

dennisw1:
If i was to jump in a bus for and drive it across a private yard the police could arrest me for driving without a licence.

Rubbish!

No it’s not rubbish go and check the latest highway code, it;s the law.

TBH though it’s only really there so the police can do chavs who do dougnuts in supermarket car parks at 3am. It was also brought out so they could nick people who drove on unadopted (aka Private) roads without licence, insurance etc. However the police ‘could’ if they chose to be arsey do you for any such infringements as speeding, no lights etc in a tug, truck, what ever too.

Although if you managed to do a dougnut in Tesco’s car park with a 40ft trailer on the back, they’re more likely to congratulate you :laughing:

Basically someone would have to get the police to go and have a look at a problem yard, they wouldnt just go round all the DC’s on the off chance

The law makes reference to ‘public access’, while a Supermarket car park is not part of the highway there is public access therefore a licence is required (for any vehicle). If you own a large section of private land it’s a different matter, I’m not sure what category an RDC comes into though.

As our timber yard is open to customers/public, I would imagine what they are doing is illegal.

Doesn’t happen often as we have 2 HGVs and 3 licence holders, but know and again somebody without a licence moves one around (or somebody with a post-97 car licence moves the 7.5t).

Mind you, they’ve got me driving the sideloader without a ticket now and I’ve found out that half the people there don’t have a ticket for the loader either.

[quote= tammy i think its a inter depot thing , and more then likley not sainsburys :wink: if you think about the companys on the estate . we could
beer all night :laughing: :wink:

jon
[/quote]

:laughing: He’s right you know …
[/quote]

:laughing: glad to hear it…thought i might have upset someone again… :wink:
Would’nt want to do taht again…honest… :wink:

Talking of beer…whos round is it■■?

well voluntered that man mines a pint :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

You don’t need a licence to drive on private property, whether that be a sainsbury RDC or a pet food distribution centre in Hams Hall, The rules are dreamt up by overpaid H & S officials who cannot get a proper job. The public do not have access to an RDC, as a lorry driver you are not classed as the public, but you will be classed as a contractor.

So Rubbish is the correct answer

Wheel Nut:
You don’t need a licence to drive on private property, whether that be a sainsbury RDC or a pet food distribution centre in Hams Hall, The rules are dreamt up by overpaid H & S officials who cannot get a proper job. The public do not have access to an RDC, as a lorry driver you are not classed as the public, but you will be classed as a contractor.

But bearing that in mind, Malc, does that mean you also couldn’t get done for drink-driving around an RDC?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

marcustandy:

Wheel Nut:

But bearing that in mind, Malc, does that mean you also couldn’t get done for drink-driving around an RDC?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Thats another kettle of fish, and comes back to the old wives myth of the solicitior trying to go fishing on Dover docks :stuck_out_tongue:

The answer is yes, you would get done for drink driving, If the depots are doing their job right, they will have fitted tachos in the shunters tugs, because drivers hours are far more important than lights :stuck_out_tongue:

Without health and safety we would be healthier and safer :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
You don’t need a licence to drive on private property,

That’s quite right unless it is a company rule. I got round it at Toray by giving a prospective shunter a proper course of training by a qualified trainer, but not up to test standard. The company excepted this compromise although the rules did say that you couldn’t drive anything on site unless you were qualified to drive it on the road.
This was not for an artic shifting trailers but a 17 tonner moving production to the warehouse.

As for drinking and driving, a definite no-no. Again a company rule though.

Salut, David.

Beats me why if these RDCs are so concerned with health and safety why they can have speed limiters fitted on the tugs, and lights switch on automatically.

One rule for us, no rules for shunters - always the way…

Wheel Nut:

So what about our timber yard which I mentioned above…which is open to the general public?