Show me, the money

Conor:

m25poacher:
If you listen or read the RHA rubbish being spouted, driving a lorry will earn you big ££££.
In reality unless you are employed directly by a company its the agencies getting the big £££.

Being off sick last month and with the possibility of not being able to drive I started to look around at jobs. Nothing in my area paid the same amount of money per year and that was including managerial jobs and ones which had degrees and no I’m not just talking compared to what I get at Howdens.

HOWEVER and it’s a big however, the main reason for that is in most jobs as a lorry driver because of the hours you do, not the hourly pay. So no jobs paid the same but then again they didn’t have 55hrs as an average working week either.

So in one respect the RHA are right, you’ll earn big £££, around £6k or more than the median wage in the UK but the * they forget to add to that is that you’ll be working in most cases 50% more hours to get that.

So you have 2 jobs in one. LMAO :smiley:

The most truth anyone ever told me was “you are too busy earning a living to make any real money”.

I would consider £38k a decent living, but it is far, far away from real money isn’t it?

Then you factor in the 55hrs & the nights . . . . !

IDK if the OP’s question is a ‘trigger’ post, or if it’s a genuine question from someone asking “am I doing it right”?

Quite frankly IDGAF. I’m living my dream & I hope that you are too.

At the end of the day. If your happy with the wage and job, then crack on driver.

Simple.

Do UberEats on your days off

J/k…send a pm to RobRoy ask him how you can do 8 shifts but only show 6 on your card

Learn how to strap cars onto a trailer. If you can live with the constant alarms triggering

You understand if you want the big £ you’ll have to compete with someone who’s already waiting in line for the guy making the big £ to retire? Get a shovel and a torch and find a nice quiet place.

Start a trucking youtube channel where you live stream your night trunks 6 times a week. You will become partner and soon earn more than your actual salary; the downside is you’re still going to have to keep working to maintain your youtube income like Switchlogic who became a youtube millionaire but can’t retire for the same reason.

truckerjimbo:

crush99:
Wheres the money, or should i be content with 38k 55hrs nights, ok work

I earn £35 p/h for a 35 hour week. Do the maths.

And I dont have to drive a truck !!!

#ASLEF :smiley:

Or be told that a ‘driver’ shouldn’t be employed to sit and just drive and maybe swap ‘trailers’.

truckerjimbo:
]

Not me fella, I do between 36 and 40hrs a week over 4 days.

MickCharity:
The most truth anyone ever told me was “you are too busy earning a living to make any real money”.

I would consider £38k a decent living, but it is far, far away from real money isn’t it?

It’s nearly £9000 a year more than the UK median wage for 2021. Just in case you don’t know what median means, if you wrote down every single persons salary in the UK in order from smallest to largest then the median is the one that’s in the middle of that list. It’s seen as a better indicator than the mean average which is massively skewed by the 10% of people in the UK who earn over £60k.

2 things struck me reading through this thread

1 there were four guys at the place i work that claimed they cleared over agrand a week (i dont belive them no matter how much they milked the job and sat for hours in laybys) However soon as the new ir35 rules came in in april they disapeared and went else where to another country.

2 Maybe im lucky but i am on roughly the same hourly rate as my last job which was working in a chilled warehouse putting food into cages. lots of heavy pallets to be pulled up and down the isles constantly with lots of bending, stretching and lifting as well as the supervisors constantly on your back telling you to work faster.

to me i would much rather be doing my current job where i am left alone unless i make a mistake where i am delivering a few boxes on a sack barrow if they are too heavy to carry.

Conor:

truckerjimbo:
]

Not me fella, I do between 36 and 40hrs a week over 4 days.

MickCharity:

It’s nearly £9000 a year more than the UK median wage for 2021. Just in case you don’t know what median means, if you wrote down every single persons salary in the UK in order from smallest to largest then the median is the one that’s in the middle of that list. It’s seen as a better indicator than the mean average which is massively skewed by the 10% of people in the UK who earn over £60k.

Your either full of ■■■■ or you dont drive a truck ■■

cooper1203:
2 things struck me reading through this thread

1 there were four guys at the place i work that claimed they cleared over agrand a week (i dont belive them no matter how much they milked the job and sat for hours in laybys) However soon as the new ir35 rules came in in april they disapeared and went else where to another country .

Taking home more than a train driver. In there dreams!!!

MickCharity:

IDK if the OP’s question is a ‘trigger’ post, or if it’s a genuine question from someone asking “am I doing it right”?

Trigger post, is that about calling people Dave :smiley:

MickCharity:

Trigger post, is that about calling people Dave :smiley:

" I’m living my dream & I hope that you are too", Not yet, but that lovely money might help me achieve it.

Last financial year was 73k working 4on/4off , bring on the haters :sunglasses:

flat to the mat:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand what was that after expenses :sunglasses:

TruckDriverBen:

flat to the mat:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand what was that after expenses :sunglasses:

All in house nowadays with no expenses , so probably still the same 73k :smiley:

flat to the mat:

Not comparable at all due to the huge differences in living costs. A friend of mine lives in Seattle and does store deliveries for Staples in a 4 wheeler (equivalent of our 18 tonner). He’s on $29/hr. Seems like a lot to us Brits, but then mentioned that a small basic 1 bedroom apartment in an average area of Seattle starts at about $1500 per month, so roughly 3x what it would be over here outside of London, which probably explains why the monetary figure is approx 3x as much as what we get.

TruckDriverBen:

flat to the mat:

Guess that’s canadian $$$ so about £43k

A £1000 a week take home would be nice

ETS:

TruckDriverBen:

flat to the mat:

Guess that’s canadian $$$ so about £43k

Nope that was $103000CDN at the then exchange rate , where living on the prairies isn’t quite as expensive as Seattle ( different country btw). Plenty of opportunities to be had , I haul own account cryogenics , but lots of other niche jobs are around if you look hard enough .Stay away from the run of the mill van trailer work/race to the bottom crap and you can make good money , and be respected by the general public for doing so .

Great I’m sure, but as Canada has become a North American version of China over the past 12 months I’ll give it a miss cheers.

DCPCFML:
Great I’m sure, but as Canada has become a North American version of China over the past 12 months I’ll give it a miss cheers.

In what respect ?