Shipping out of and into Poole

papa noel:
Well, better start at the beginning. I first used Truckline in January 1977. I’d started for Atkins Cherbourg, the truck was on the other side so I had to fly. I’d never flown before and never been out of the country either. What an experience! ! I also drove for Swains Cherbourg initially with a Scania 111 and then the famous Berliet 305 christened the Berlijet by Dave Ketteringham when he worked for Phil Horridge. JD Fairweather then offered me £10 per day more so I went to work for him for 4and a half years. By the way my nickname on Swains was Frog50. 10 years then followed for M D F,then 11years for Matthews Int. (All from Gt. Yarmouth ) Chuck in 2 yrs for Gordy Knowlton 1980-82.I decided in 2013 that enough was enough and retired.36 yrs of Truckline and Brittany Ferries. I don’t know if that’s a record but it must be close. I’ve got so many fond memories of all those years and made so many good friends, quite a few still in touch especially at the Old ■■■■■ Reunion each October in Bournemouth. Here’s to absent friends.

Well done Keith that’s a fair CV I reckon I was about a year behind you shipping out of Poole. I started continental for E.F.Phillips in 78 it was mostly out of Southampton to start with and later out of Poole. I don’t think I ever shipped on the Cocotin but remember well the Coutances and Purbeck before they were stretched. Should you speak to Roger I expect he could add some info or photos.regards Geoff

Have done the trip a few times as second driver, worst one I remember was leaving on a Sunday with a force 10 gale blowing and not being a good sailor I did the crossing on the bridge, bet that wouldn’t happen nowadays, seeing where you’re heading tends to offset seasickness even if the bow is underwater half the time. Seem to remember that if the meal was served as soon as you boarded it ment a rough crossing. Anyone remember the Truckline livered Palmolive soap (that the Spanyards used to half inch if you weren’t quick), as Buzzer would say a Mary Hopkin moment. :slight_smile:

MrJake:
Have done the trip a few times as second driver, worst one I remember was leaving on a Sunday with a force 10 gale blowing and not being a good sailor I did the crossing on the bridge, bet that wouldn’t happen nowadays, seeing where you’re heading tends to offset seasickness even if the bow is underwater half the time. Seem to remember that if the meal was served as soon as you boarded it ment a rough crossing. Anyone remember the Truckline livered Palmolive soap (that the Spanyards used to half inch if you weren’t quick), as Buzzer would say a Mary Hopkin moment. :slight_smile:

Most of the Spanish using that ferry never used the soap that’s for sure, no one wanted to use the bunks after them the greasy b’s reckon they must have sold it when they got home, Buzzer.

Here I am again Geoff 1980 mate :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Corse you remember this truck. Top of the range home made routeman scammel. Think he came from shaftsbury.

shady:
Corse you remember this truck. Top of the range home made routeman scammel. Think he came from shaftsbury.

A great picture, Shady. That’s reminded me of an old article about it, so I’ve scanned it for you. Here it is. Robert :smiley:

PS I’ve also posted it on the Middle-East not Astran thread if you want to cross-reference comments.

MaggieD:
Hi Tone,

Yes that’s the Scania can’t remember his nickname
Regards
Richard

robert1952:

shady:
2Corse you remember this truck. Top of the range home made routeman scammel. Think he came from shaftsbury.

A great picture, Shady. That’s reminded me of an old article about it, so I’ve scanned it for you. Here it is. Robert :smiley:

PS I’ve also posted it on the Middle-East not Astran thread if you want to cross-reference comments.

Robert I remember him well. He had 2 bostrum seats in it. And he wallpapered the inside. A true star. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

NIV half way between Madrid and badajoz

And this is on the N1 just outside Coimbra Portugal
image.jpg

This is on the services around Lireia Portugal

shady:
0Corse you remember this truck. Top of the range home made routeman scammel. Think he came from shaftsbury.

I remember Norman only met him a couple of times it was about the same time that Mike Rushton was going to Portugal a long time ago now Shady cos you had hair then and didn’t need a hat.lol Geoff

shady:
NIV half way between Madrid and badajoz 1
And this is on the N1 just outside Coimbra Portugal 0

Steve that pic on N1V that’s just before you start the climb up Miravet isn’t it.Geoff

Forty years separates these two photos of the same spot.

Found this.

I remember the first sailing of the barfleur from poole sat next to the best mr geoff luther oh the good old days

:slight_smile:

jimmywill:
I remember the first sailing of the barfleur from poole sat next to the best mr geoff luther oh the good old day :slight_smile: Jimmy you have a better memory than me I cant remember who I sat next to.please remind me.

mappo:
Found this.
I supposed you blagged the meal without using your ticket again Mappo.regards Geoff

Yesterday I attended the funreal of Dean Whitbread who died at the very early age of 52, Dean was very successful in his career in transport spending the last 20 something years at Wyvern Cargo. I started shipping out of Poole in 1974 when G.J .Cooper used to make our T.Forms for customs, I think I am right in saying Dean came to work for Coopers straight from school in the late 70s. So I think he deserves a mention on this thread. Dean Whitbread R.I.P.
Cliff.

Cliff you mentioned Wyvern cargo, I remember going to see a chap called Jose’ with regard to doing loads to Spain this was a very long time ago, do you recall any one by that name ? John Davies (Buzzer)

Seldom seen but always in Poole.